SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andie325

Let's Decorate my Living Room/Den!

Andie
5 years ago

Late last year/earlier this year, we replaced all of the doors and trim in our home from ugly brown 1980's to all white trim, etc. Naturally, once we did that, it felt like even more updates needed to be made to flow better with our home. I had been on the fence for a long while regarding our fireplace and I finally took the plunge and lime washed it a few weeks ago.

Once the lime wash was done, I felt like we had to make some changes in the decor of our living area. We have dark leather sofas now, and our kitchen/ eat in dining space looks into our den so that area has to be somewhat cohesive. I change out the frame/mat on our fireplace artwork and removed artwork from the sides of the fireplace to make the space less cluttered in appearance. However now I am at a loss on how to style the mantel, fireplace, etc. I am wondering if I need a new rug in the den area and maybe if we need to paint the entertainment console white or something to make it flow better with the rest of the space?

I'd love to replace the mantle but my husband says no to that and to hanging the art on the mantle. So I am limited there.

I'd love to hear any suggestions on decor, the mantle, fireplace, etc. I just replaced the curtains on that window by the tv with some that are white and gray and they helped a bit.... was considering maybe changing out the area rug to something different, any suggestions?

these first two pics are from before I changed out the frame and mat on the mantle art but it gives you an idea of the den space.

this is the fireplace after I changed out the mat, etc.

this is the kitchen that looks into the den :

and another view of our den space before we redid the fireplace

Comments (41)

• lisaam
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Andie, the reframing of your painting really brings out the colors and demonstrates that your brightening up doesn't require all beachy pales--this might increase your husband's confidence with the changes. A larger rug would be nice. I'd start looking at tribal styles that include some blue and green simply because your painting looks so good. Maybe the media cabinet can become lighter but not white. I've tried to include a photo but it hasn't shown up yet.

• PRO
    Seldens Furniture
    5 years ago

I would replace the black upholstered pieces for a lighter color as the space seems dark. Also, look for a larger area rug that is able to fit under the legs of all upholstered pieces. For the area rug, you could do light/neutral, or a bright color of your choice. Good Luck!

Randall Allan Parnell Sofa · More Info

• Related Discussions

Help me fix /decorate my my living room into Eclectic and yet cosy.

Q

Comments (34)
    Don't move the credenza then. Get an area rug, center one group of seating around fireplace and conversation and then maybe get a tea cart or something and put a small chair or two around that near the doors/windows to the outside. You can sit and sip your tea and watch the birdies outside there in the winter! When the weather gets nice you can carry the chairs out to the deck to sit in the sun! Then roll the cart out there with some cocktails later in the day!
    ...See More

Please decorate my space! Dining Room & living Room.

Q

Comments (1)
    Oh, dear, Cameron…you have too many posts going on with the same dilemma. It is just too confusing…stick to one and delete the others.
    ...See More

Help! I need ideas on how to finish decorating my living room

Q

Comments (74)
    Curtains would be a good idea. Even though you have blinds for privacy, curtains make the windows look finished. A little eyeliner besides the mascara. I would not do a colored curtain here. Curtains are just to darn expensive to have to switch out when your color palette changes. I would suggest white or off white, whichever you prefer in a silk or silk-like fabric, and get a marvelous trim for the edge. The edge trim can be in a white and black or whatever color you want to take from your rug or elsewhere in the room. I would not do a curtain trim in gold here because I see 4 windows, for 8 panels, that would be a lot of gold. You want tasteful gold embellishment in a space, not Liberace in Las Vegas. Here are some examples of trimmed curtains. Buy the plain curtain, and then buy the trim of your choice, and buy extra trim to embellish throw pillows, and buy coordinating different scale trim for other throw pillows. Another curtain option is a white curtain with a subtle pattern woven or printed on it.
    ...See More

Let’s Decorate My Bedroom

Q

Comments (67)
    I find decorating the walls with art difficult. I want to choose something that will make me smile everytime I look at it. As for paint color, it took me months to choose paint colors for my home. It was worth taking the time to decide.
    ...See More
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Why does your husband not want to change the mantel? Maybe it could have an accident, a fatal accident, one day when he's out of the house.

I would either get a larger rug or eliminate the rug altogether. That little thing does nothing for the space.

I like the new curtains a lot, but they need to hang wide on the window. And if that's the only place for the TV, I would move the media cabinet flat against the wall and hang the TV on an articulating mount so you can adjust it when you watch it.

• cpaul1
    5 years ago

You have one of those living rooms where the TV has to go above the mantle, it's the only place for it. And then you need a larger area rug and you need to pull that trunk in closer to the couch if that's what you're using as a coffee table.

• Jennifer K
    5 years ago

The pic looks perfect with the new matting! And here's a way to hang it up without drilling or damaging the brick:

Brick clips

Now about that fatal mantle accident Grover mentioned...

Andie thanked Jennifer K
  • J J
    5 years ago
    hi, just following along...
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

I spread your curtains a bit, moved the TV console against the wall, and added a bigger rug. If you don't use the coffee table, get rid of it. Mostly I removed the mantel. See if Hubby doesn't think this looks better.

Andie thanked groveraxle
  • Danielle Black
    5 years ago

Larger lighter rug , white or grey tv stand, white or metallic vases on fireplace, glass or metal end tables

Andie thanked Danielle Black
  • decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Mantel definitely has to go. Can you find a way not to have to angle the TV in the small corner? May we see the other walls?

Andie thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Andie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

groveraxle- you are funny. I do love how all of that works- but there are two big holes where the mantle supports go in the brick- how does one correct that?

Also, the furniture will be staying- I can't go out and purchase all new furniture at this point... but a new rug and maybe an update to the media/tv situation could be arranged at some point.

• Andie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Let's start by picking out a rug.!!!

a

b

c

d

e

f

• Danielle Black
    5 years ago

B and d are my favorites!

• Andie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

g

h

i

j

k

L

• Andie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

m

n

o

• Jennifer K
    5 years ago

I like the Persian influenced ones best. But honestly, I'd get a real one that wasn't over-dyed or faux-worn. And I'd probably pick one that had some warm colours in it. Horizontal colour is much less emphatic/noticeable than vertical colour. So a bit of coral or brick red could be a nice accent.

Safavieh Heritage Collection HG812 Rug, Blue/Brown, 7'6" X 9'6" · More Info
    Kaleen Hand-Tufted Middleton Turquoise Wool Rug, 8'x10' · More Info

Surya Nicea 7'10"x10'3" Area Rug, Teal, Metallic Gold · More Info

• Andie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

More living room pictures to help!!

View from TV area looking toward the stairs, etc.

View from the stairs/kitchen, looking into the den

• Andie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Also, that current rug is 5x7- so would a 6x9 probably be big enough? I don't want something too big that takes up all of the space either....

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Your rug needs to be longer, but not necessarily wider. It should not butt up to the hearth. Try pulling your current rug under the sofa a good 8" and see how that looks.

There's not much space between sofa and fireplace. If the sofa cannot move back, then I'd either eliminate the coffee table or get one that's more open.

Your photo wall going up the stairs is a bit of a mess. It looks like you just randomly hammered nails in open spots and hung them. I would take everything down, make paper templates of each frame, then tape those up on the wall, rearranging till you have a pleasing arrangement. Distances between frames should be the same throughout and every frame should line up with another on at least one axis.

Bermondsey Apartment · More Info

DUMICAN MOSEY Architects - Fillmore Street · More Info

• Andie
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    So a few notes of progress—- ordered this rug - hoping it will look nice — also, worth noting, I moved these two glass vases onto the mantle to see if they helped to bring out colors more. I am open to other ideas.

That rug in the picture with my son was from an app that let me try out rugs in the room. ;)

Wondering if anything needs to go on the sides of the fireplace or if we should just leave it empty?

I am also considering chalk painting the two end tables lighter shades. Thoughts??
  • Jennifer K
    5 years ago

I like the vases. They work!

• J J
    5 years ago
    I'm not a design expert, but I do find the picture and vases very nice! Kiddo is cute too--and I'm an expert on kids!
  • Andie
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Scooped up these throw pillows for the sofa today.

Also, thanks for the compliments on the kid. :) I think he is pretty adorable!

Do I need more on the mantel? Or just leave as is?? Anyone?
  • Andie
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @groveraxle I was thinking of taking everything down off the gallery wall... thoughts? And just maybe later on hanging some of my jazz fest posters in that space
  • gm_tx
    5 years ago

Mantel looks great with the vases! I would not add more.

I suggest a more open or "leggier" coffee table, maybe even with a glass top, so it takes up less visual weight.

Maybe this one or this one.

• Jennifer K
    5 years ago

Mantle has exactly the right amount. Nothing more required.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

I do think that a rug that picks up some of the warmer tones from the painting would add more layers of interest than a strictly cool tone like blue. With the dark furniture there should be a color, such as terra cotta, that bridges the dark furniture with the lighter floor. You can then pick up some of the colors in your new pillows. I'd also find a larger lamp (by which I mean with greater height and larger shade) since the one you have looks too small for a living room and lacks impact. The fireplace is much improved with the lighter wash and changes in decor.

• PRO
    Selectblinds
    5 years ago

What about some shades like this?

https://www.selectblinds.com/bamboo-blinds.html

Photo: The Turquoise Home

• Andie
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Updates!!!
  • cawaps
    5 years ago

Wow! That looks great!

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Ooh, Andie, LOVE the rug. Looks great. I'm gonna make two tiny suggestions. Pull the rug under the sofa just a bit so there's more floor showing in front of the fireplace. Then move the chair toward the sofa so it almost touches at the corners of the arms. It will look more balanced, the chair will be able to share the end table with the couch, and your walk space will then be between the chair and the fireplace instead of between chair and sofa.

• wsea
    5 years ago

Looks so much better. A couple of minor suggestions. Center the rug and sofa on the fireplace. Right now it looks a bit off with it skewed towards the stairs. Make the chair changes Grover suggested as well. And pull the rug under the sofa a bit more so a little bit more of floor shows between the rug and hearth.

• Jennifer K
    5 years ago

The room is really coming together. Kudos!

• Andie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

so this is the issue with the rug centered by the fireplace... there is a hallway right there that leads into the den... so it looked kinda weird if the rug was sticking out into the hallway from the den.... does that make sense? I actually had the rug further back under the sofa but the husband insisted on moving it closer to the hearth.. have to compromise here & there ya know... haha

but yeah, I had it centered more on the fireplace, but like i said, the only issue was that then the rug was jutting into the hall... soooo... i lined it up with the edge of the half wall that the sofa is butted up against because that's where the hall starts... I'll share some more pictures later on this evening!

was thinking of getting a different lamp as someone suggested, and maybe refinishing that table by the sofa in gray or white or something... thoughts?

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I get why you can't move the rug, but at least move the chair as shown below. It will make the room more balanced and open it up by eliminating the second end table by the fireplace. You could also use a taller lamp on the table by the sofa.

Nice job on the gallery wall, BTW.

Compare to where you have the chair now:

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

And a taller lamp:

Andie thanked groveraxle
  • Andie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

i wish I could move the chair like that, but it would totally block the walkway into the kitchen/dining space, KWIM? while it looks balanced in the photo, it would be cumbersome to get around, etc. like it looks great, but doesn't work, unfortunately... I can totally see us running into the hearth, etc. We used to have a loveseat in that space where the chair is but we found a chair more useful for our household. ;)

I am now looking at that trestle shelf and I don't like it anymore. haha.... may have to reconsider later on and try to replace it with something else more designed for a corner and maybe lighter colored..... that's usually where our christmas tree goes, though... hmmmmm

I was actually considering a taller lamp, probably something like a ginger jar maybe? or something maybe gold with a white shade... not sure yet! :)

• User
    5 years ago

In my opinion the mantle on the fireplace is way too high and too short in length. You could have been able to bring the tv above it.

• drdeb1234
    5 years ago

I agree that the trestle shelf doesn’t look great there. Too busy. Try leaving that space bare. It might look too empty initially (until you adjust), but I think the room will look better with a bit of breathing space.

Youve done a nice job with it !

Andie thanked drdeb1234
  • Andie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

that's the mantle, etc. that came with the house! that's a source of contention at my house at the moment, but hopefully we can remedy that in due time. :)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022