SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
talkstoself

Need a modern, mid-range, stain color for interior doors!

talkstoself
5 years ago

We took 3 feet of water, in our 1956 mid century home, with Hurricane Harvey last Aug. I've had one nightmare after the next, ever since. Ex: contractors squatting in my back room at night, appliances stolen (we were in a motel for 9 months) problems with pouring concrete flooring, broken pipes under the foundation and last but not least, the City of Houston.

I have most of my new doors (they were about a $100 a piece, so they are poplar I guess, maybe birch) painted repose Gray on one side, but the other side I want to stain. Originally, the old doors, were all maple, and at one point in the 80's, my mom had the door facing the living area painted along with along with a lot of of solid-wood paneling. Yes, this is my childhood home.

Since I poured concrete flooring (this is our second flood) and it is gray and my walls are repose gray, the bedrooms, where most of the doors are, I feel - need a wood stain to give the rooms warmth.

I bought silver-toned door hardware for the painted gray side and antique brass for the side I want to stain. Same with hinges. I'm looking for a medium toned, neutral-ish stain (I guess). I don't know if everything else (floor, walls) is 'cool' if the tone should be warm?

I should add, on the other side of the house, in the kitchen, I did solid cherry butcher block countertops, kitchen cabinets painted Repose Gray (as are all walls and trim). The cherry does not 'show' where any of the doors are. I also bought orange appliances from Big Chill. Again though, I do want some continuity in the house but the Cherry bar and appliances don't 'show' where most of the interior doors are.

I don't have the same wood, as the doors, to do samples on, but I've sampled Mimwax: Red Mahagony (way too purple and dark), Dark Walnut (too dark), Special Walnut (a contender), Gunstock (way too orange), English Chesnut (not too bad), Cherry (very light and looks like the light maple to me - which imho looks dated) Honey (very dark!?), Red Oak (too dark) and Red Chestnut (too red).

My husband and my new contractor think I'm nuts. I just want stained, modern looking doors. I am mid-century-modern by design and a touch of industrial (the concrete floor).

Any thoughts or stains you might suggest would be so grately appreciated.

Comments (10)