SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diane_jessica

Hydrangea propagation failing and I'm very sad.

After researching and watching oodles of good videos, I took a stab at taking many cuttings from my healthy, mature, big hydrangea mother plant a month ago. All looked healthy until a few days ago. I inspected yesterday. Only a couple had the tiniest hint of a few roots. I'm in NC, zone 8a. It's very hot and very humid at this time. Had the large tray under my carport (no sides) in the shade. Did not cover, or bag because of humidity/heat. Soil (peat/vermic/touch of planting soil) kept continually moist, not soggy, but definitely moist. Used a DIY self-watering set up with string. Noted when pulling out many with no roots, the bottom part was a dark brown. No sign of disease. No fertilizer ever used. Very large tray I used had no holes for drainage. I potted up the very few that showed teensy roots and have 3 small pots under umbrella in shade on outside table. Needles to say, I'm bummed, especially being very particular to do correctly. Am thinking, was my soil too moist? Should the tray have had drainage holes? Was it root rot? Wondering how I save the ones I potted (has drainage holes) Will see if I can attach photo. The photo was taken after I first did the propagation. Am new to this forum, and not sure about posting. Wishing all happy summer days.

Comments (11)