SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heruga

Is it ok to cut off a trunk of my double-trunked grape vine now?

I have 2 vitis ficifolia var. lobata which are dwarf ornamental grapes and would like to train them as a single-trunked vine. This is the first year I'm growing it. One is in the ground and one is in a container. Both have a stake for support. Now I'd like them to be grown as a single trunked vine and not a double trunked, is it ok to cut one of the trunks off now at this time of the season? I know general pruning of grapes are done in late winter/early spring but if you want to train it as a single-trunked vine would it be better to do it sooner than later? Both of the trunks are woody and pretty established but thin enough to easily snip off with a clipper.

What worries me is that 1) Bad timing of year to prune especially because the trunk is pretty established so that will leave a bigger wound and become prone to disease 2) If the grape loses too much foliage the first year then it will have a hard time to establish itself due to the lack of enough foliage to photosynthesize. Like how everyone says pruning is best done when the plant becomes established. However for grape vines, if I don't do it sooner then the new shoots and trunks will get thicker and thicker and will become harder to prune off due to disease reasons so I'm not sure what to do.

Comment (1)