SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_354809202182024082715

How best to waterproof our interior stone water feature

Stew M
5 years ago

Our interior water feature is nearly ready - I need your help in doing the right waterproofing steps, so it will last for a very long time!

In this Google Drive folder http://bit.ly/2zxDABf are pictures of our interior water feature and the products I plan to use.

The feature has been prepared (under the stone, above wood floor) with a vinyl sheet just like a bathtub or shower. It has a raised drain so the water level will be about 5 in, an overflow pipe in the back and a city-water feed pipe at the top, with manual valve The surface masonry is slate, and the base is 1/2" masonry board. My goal is to make this completely watertight, and provide a dark mottled background under the surface, so the basalt columns and loose stone will make the underlying base practically invisible. Lighting comes from 2 under-water 12v 20w lights, and 3 small 12v goosenecks above.

I'm contemplating using:

a) Quikrete concrete patch to create a smooth surface,

b) Quikrete Water Stop Cement to create a hydraulic barrier,

c) Elastoseal Rubberized Undercoat Primer Sealer, a roofing product, to create a bond for the masonry, and

d) a top coat of a RubberSeal Liquid Rubber waterproofing product.

Questions, please:

1. Do you have experience with these products?

2. Have you had a water-tight interior water feature, lasting for years ... what did you do?

3. Any better ideas how to make the water feature totally waterproof and suited for 5" of water with stones placed in it?

All help greatly appreciated.

Stew

"Life begins at the Edge of your comfort zone."

Comment (1)