SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pasavela

Need Exterior Color Plan for 1950's Bungalow

pasavela
5 years ago

Great neighborhood of older homes. Need a color plan for basically all exterior surfaces... including trim, awnings, foundation, front door, mailbox, porch railings, porch and steps. I also need to decide whether to go with paint or vinyl.

The first two pictures were taken in the 1960's. The bottom picture was taken last summer.

The current exterior is a original grooved cedar shake. This product matches exactly: https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/siding/wood-siding/18-primed-grooved-cedar-sidewall-shingles-100-sq-ft/1071025/p-1444425380501.htm

The roof is a dark brown architectural shingle.

I would like to retain the charm and character of the house and for that reason alone I would consider painting... but there is LEAD based paint on the soffits and corner trim boards. That means now and forever into the future painting would involve hiring an RRP Certified Crew.

Can I get away with traditional lap siding and still maintain the character of the house?

I've taken the inserts out of the windows in the garage door so it now looks more like the original.

I'm also thinking about trying to find a similar storm door.

Thank you for your ideas and suggestions :

)

Comments (4)