SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dsd2682

Roses that LOVE the heat

SoFL Rose z10
5 years ago

In my garden there are some roses that seem to really perk up in the dog days of summer. These roses start pushing out the blooms this time of year in my very hot and humid garden.

My most notable heat lovers are:

Spirit of Freedom: This rose has been a great one for me. I have 4 of them. They boom in flushes all year long, but in JULY they burst into bloom. right now each one has about 20 buds/blooms on it

Beverly: Beverly seems to sleep all year long. Sometimes I even forget that she's there, but come july she's now full of blooms.

Darcey Bussell: My darcey has always been a good bloomer, but never has she had as many blooms as she does now in mid summer.

Easy Does It: EDI blooms in flushes all year long, but its best most magnificent flush is always near the 4th of July

Prosperity: same here. Prosperity seems to bloom best in mid summer and also has a nice flush late fall. But always has a few blooms on her regardless.

Wedding Bells: Wedding Bells is always blooming and mid summer is no exception. Theres nothing that slows WBs down.

Dames De Chenonceau: Here's another one that seems to be at her best during the hottest days of the year. She's a sporadic bloomer year round but come summer is when she blooms her best.

Teasing Georgia: Teasing Georgia only seems to bloom in the hottest days of summer. I got a few blooms in fall (really beautiful ones) but now I have a lot of (slightly less glorious) blooms. Still good!

Sweet Drift: this rose blooms year round, no exceptions, always covered in blooms and summer doesn't slow her down one bit.

Charlotte: Charlottes blooms are considerably smaller in the summer, but they keep on coming, no matter the heat.

Pat Ausitn: same as Charlotte, blooms year round but summer just makes her happier still.

Red Sunrosa: always a great bloomer and summer is no exception.

Keep in mind that my temps are in the high 90's this time of year with nights in the 80's so these roses really do love the heat!

Comments (32)

• lkayetwvz5
    5 years ago

Thanks for this list! I see Darcy Bussell there! Seems everyone has at least one plant and they seem to do well everywhere. It's on my list for this coming year! Glad to see Pat Austin also as she is my most reliable bloomer in blistering heat. I'm also going to add Charlotte. I had Prosperity and she was always covered in blooms. Lost in subzero temps a decade ago. I'd still like to try Lavender Lassie.

• sharon2079
    5 years ago

I have several blooming right now too.... and I wish they weren't, because I am getting chili thrips grrrrr. I don't want to cut the blooms off, but they are getting some kind of fungus but when I cut the blossom I getting new growth which is encouraging the the c. thrips. Anyway, I have Vetran's Honor blooming his head off. It is a new plant and I must have over 30 buds, and blossoms. I also have 2 Love Song and both have tons of blooms. Gentle Giant is also covered with flowers and setting new buds.

Then thanks to a great rose buddy, I have a new Caldwell Pink that is covered in blooms.

I will be glad when the c. thrips are gone.

• Related Discussions

Heat tolerant vs heat resistant vs heat loving

Q

Comments (33)
    In my zone 6b Pennsylvania garden, I grown Gemini, Tamora, Lavaglut and olog. I have a friend in the same zone (near me) who has Cherry Parfait and a DIL who has Frederick Mistral. I'm thinking you might have slightly more humidity than I. My gardens are all day south exposed full sun. Gemini is a wonderful rose and does quite well, even with disease resistance, but like Diane NJ say, it shuts down over the very hottest, most humid part of the summer. Winters, it seems quite strong. Besides being very small, Tamora doesn't do so well in the heat and humidity either and is more prone to black spot. I'm not as thrilled with this rose as I could be and it suffers from winter die back. Frederick Mistral also suffers from winter kill, but not to the extent as Tamora. It is also a larger bush, more heat tolerant but still prone to black spot. Cherry Parfait, olog and Lavaglut are all outstanding in the gardens around here. Cherry Parfait is more prone to black spot, but is winter strong. Olog and lavaglut will get blackspot in my garden toward the end of the season and I do spray, but not as regularily as some of the others. Remember to keep Tamora, olog and Lavaglut toward the front of the bed since all these roses have a tendency to be squatty. Tamora looks more like a miniature except for the leaf and bloom size. The plant is so extremely tiny. This is just my take. All roses act differently in different areas.
    ...See More

Does spring rust weaken a plant?

Q

Comments (10)
    Hi, Debbie - We had a lot of problems with rust in the cemetery this spring, too. What we've had success with is cutting the rose back, removing any remaining rusty leaves, fertilizing, and making sure that they have enough water. As you know, we don't prune hard at any time, but we cut out canes that were diseased and cleared out some twiggy stuff. We have photos of Dr. Kelly (Paul Neyron) getting the treatment, and how it's recovered, on our website. We sprayed the rose with water when we were done, and then misted it with the Physan solution we use to clean our pruners (don't know that really made a difference but worth a shot). Anita Here is a link that might be useful: Treating the Doctor
    ...See More

Experiences with heat loving roses

Q

Comments (2)
    Some of my climbers are too new to evaluate, but I was impressed with Crepuscule last summer, it's second year in the ground from a tiny own-root plant. But my climbing marvel is Zepherine Drouhin, first and last rose to bloom in my yard, generally covered with bloom all season. It can have some BS but shrugs it off- I don't spray. It also doesn't have thorns.
    ...See More

Blooms in the Heast of Summer

Q

Comments (11)
    Thanks all! We've been well into the 90s most days through all of July and have had 2, 3 or 4 day stretches over 100. Very hot and unusual for us. There's been little rain too. Spent a lot of time watering! Sharon, Yantai is a beautiful mini that has just kept blooming away all summer.
    ...See More
  • Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    5 years ago

I have Easy Does It and Beverly both, and they do bloom good in the heat for me too. Charlotte is new to me this year and is beginning to set on more buds, it is a very healthy bush. I think Auguste Renoir seems to like the heat too. Quite a few of my roses are blooming more in this heat than I thought they would. Julia Child has done really good for me this year.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

This weekend is going triple digets, so I well let you know what makes it through the weekend

• Nor
    5 years ago

Nice to know! I'm 9b (Orlando) and having a terrible time with my roses. I used to have around 50 varieties but they keep dying and dying. Now I am down to C. Soupert, Belinda's dream, a yellow Kordes and a pink Nacogdoches (sp?) Even now , with all the rain, I am seeing a lot of brown stem and die back. If I may ask, are you having them as own root or on Fort? Potted or in ground? I amended the soil really well;it is black and loamy but that does not seem to help at all. The roses are just not thriving, most of the times they are chlorotic. Looking for any information that can help before I pull my hair and all of the leftover roses out. Thanks

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Sun sky

i find that hybrid teas do poorly here. With a few exceptions like wedding bells, pope john Paul II, Chrysler imperial, grande dame and Beverly. All my other HTs die eventually due to disease. I now buy mostly shrub roses like David Austin roses, old garden roses, kordes roses that are rated high on disease resistance, etc.

I’ve had wonderful luck with spirit of freedom, wedding bells, teasing Georgia, Florentina, Bordeaux, earth angel, Sophie’s rose and pat Austin. These roses are strong and healthy. All are on fortuniana.

I do grow own root roses. Mostly kordes and old garden roses.

duchess de Brabant is an excellent own root for Florida. As is Vincent godsiff, Louis Phillip, mrs BR can’t and mrs dudly cross.

Most roses on dr.huey won’t last long here.

Check out my blog www.southfloridarose.com for all things roses in Florida

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I’m glad you brought up this timely topic, SoFl, and your website is very nice.

Some of my heat champions are:

Fragrant Cloud:

A real work horse of a rose, constant color , nice size and petal count, incredible scent. I grew it over 20 yrs ago and grow it now, it is a real summer standout. The petals seem more scorch resistant than any other rose.

Neil Diamond:

Another standout, maintaining great blooms size , petal count, productivity. Unlike many other multicolors, Neils color stay well defined and true, never blotchy. The fragrance is so strong it’s almost unreal. Easily my favorite rose introduced in the last decade.

Double Delight:

Very reliable in heat, in fact I think it prefers to be somewhat hot. Most interesting colors and great scent. Double Delight doesn’t bloom ‘all at once’ in a flush, but you find color on it all the time, and it’s quite productive. Some of these older HTs came out of breeding fields in the hottest parts of the US, so their suitability to such a climate really shines through.

Evelyn:

My favorite Austin for the hot summer. Evelyn not only blooms well in summer, but her thick waxy petals last long and resist burn. She requires a ton of water and food to do her thing, but if her requirements are met she is quite good in heat.

Veterans Honor:

A summertime beacon of red that attracts everyone to my garden. VH has the most perfect, big, durable, colorfast blooms of all my roses. Her flush of blooms look so good for so long.

Saint Patrick:

Another super long lasting, nicely sized, heat lover. Most yellows are quite fleeting, so SP being super durable is so is a real standout.

Lavender Crush:

A climber with extraordinarily generous repeat cycles, extraordinary color and fragrance. Seems tough and disease resistant, too

Granada

Prodigious bloomer, excellent vigor, magical colors, excellent fragrance.

Brigadoon and Gemini:

Similar colors and I take these two for granted, but they are big bushes that stay productive in summer.

Mister Lincoln:

A strong grower, great scent, doesn’t let up in summer. Those old Herb Swim roses were made to take a hot summer.

Barbra Streisand

Super productive, nice scent, not my favorite shade of lavender but it’s a very good hot summer rose.

PJPII

Seems at it’s best in summer and esp. fall, can put together some incredibly beautiful flushes of fragrant blooms.

Firefighter:

Very productive fragrant red, perhaps the best strongly fragrant red for the South.

Very promising:

Lady in Red:

Like Vet’s Honor, a bold, extremely long lasting, colorfast red with top notch substance. Lady in Red has good vigor and repeat, esp for a climber in its 1st year.

Love Song:

No one is telling Love Song its 102degrees and she’s only been in the ground 3months. She must have about 50 good sized blooms on her right now.

Moonstone:

Excellent vigor, branching, and repeat so far.

Mellow Yellow:

Seems to branch out of every leaf axil, very free blooming, more color fast than most strong yellows. An under appreciated yellow.

SoFL Rose z10 thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    5 years ago

Wow Ben, that is a good number of heat tolerant roses. I used to grow Brigadoon. It was a favorite

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

I vowed not to list any of my roses because every weather situation is so unique to each rose growing area. What works for me probably won't work for anyone else--ha. We have very hot summers here in Boise, but it's dry heat, unlike what those of you east of the Rockies experience. I think you all live in a sauna! Dry air is easier on humans and the heat index, but very tough on roses like The Prince with delicate petals that shrivel in the dry air before it even gets moderately hot. But some like it dry and hot, and here they are:

Julia Child--wet, dry, windy-- Julia doesn't care.

Evelyn-- her beauty belies her toughness

Twilight Zone--doesn't fade and blooms well in the heat.

Ascot--see above.

Olivia Rose--seems pretty tough in the heat--if deer would leave her alone.

Love Song--I agree with Ben.

Angel Face--tough petals.

Young Lycidas--OK, but now outstanding.

I will probably change my mind next year. Diane

• Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area)
    5 years ago

Lots doing well in my dry heat - a few straight weeks of 100 degree afternoons

Crimson Glory - work horse, just keeps pumping out true red very fragrant blooms

Koko Loko - extremely impressed with the fast rebloom rate and beautiful color metamorphosis

Pretty Lady - a light offwhite non-fragrant floribunda that wins the award for the most blooms on my property and at any given time

Julia Child - fantastic bloom production in the heat

Stainless Steel - super fragrance in the heat

Iceberg - was tentative about buying this rose but it just never stops blooming

Fragrant Cloud - super fragrant dark orange excellent in heat

Young Lycidas, Teasing Georgia, Crown Princess Margarita, Christopher Marlowe - my best heat loving Austins

Cinco de Mayo and Dick Clark - not my favorites but they are nonstop bloomers in the heat

• cedemas
    5 years ago

Cecile Bruner

Molineux

Louis Phillipe

Lafter

Perle des Jardins (most of my teas, for that matter, but this one is happiest)

Marie Pavie

Belinda

Virrosered (a new Viraraghavan--basically anything from him will probably do exceptionally well as he breeds for very hot humid climates)

Tess of the d'Urbervilles (surprisingly, most of my Austins, except for Golden Celebration who still hasn't bloomed)

Most unhappy: Belinda's Dream, surprisingly. She is completely defoliated except for her top 1/3, planted right next to Cecile Bruner and Abraham Darby who are both literally bursting with health.

5 years ago

Poor Oklahoma. Fried badly

Out of Rosenheim not too good

Looking good

Julia Child

Olivia Austin

Beverly

Winchester Cathedral

Savannah

Fiji

SoFL Rose z10 thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • jacqueline9CA
    5 years ago

china roses - Le Vesuve, and any of the small red flowered chinas - here are pics:

Le Vesuve - bush gets to 8 ft by 8 ft in warm climate if you let it. Blooms 11 months of the year here in Northern Calif. Blooms are about 3 inches in diameter.

Cramoisi Superior - French bred early china hybrid. No diseases, no spray. Blooms are smaller - 1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter.

Jackie

• debbym, Tempe, AZ Zone 9
    5 years ago

A rose that seems to like heat that has surprised me is Mme Abel Chatenay. One of the few roses in my garden that is blooming now in midsummer in my awful heat.

5 years ago

Adding some heat loving rose pics taken today:

Memorial Day

Sheila's Perfume

Crown Princess Margarita

Teasing Georgia

• rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Wow!!! Talk about gorgeous roses!!!! Love that Sheila's Perfume!!! Oh my freaking goodness!!!!! And CPM is amazing too!!!! Karen - I love all of your roses!!

Jacqueline - wow!!! that's a tons of roses!!! awesome!!

Carol

5 years ago

Wow Lisa, that looks like it belongs in an art gallery.

5 years ago

I love waking up to everyone's beautiful pictures . My goodness. I agree with Carol. freaking gorgeous on the Sheila's perfume . Evelyn always so beautiful and Lisa your arrangement is just stunning.

Crown Princess Marguerite is so ri h looking.

I'm glad that there are still a few things that are looking good in the heat.

soul sister, unfazed by the heat

• towandaaz
    5 years ago

SoFL Rose, I starting cracking up because I live in a hot area, too and have none of the ones you listed!

Of the ones I have, I would agree with Crown Princess Margareta and Julia Child, but my Fiji gets fried edges (boo hoo). I'm surprised at how well the Pope does (Pope John Paul II, that is) Candice, The Impressionist and Double Delight. Unfortunately, my Neil Diamond does not fair well in this heat. I think about you Ben when I see my poor examples of ND and hope I get the kind of flush at some point that made you fall in love with it. Oh well, back out into the garden...

• erasmus_gw
    5 years ago

Maggie blooms well in heat. Here's mine growing right next to the hot street:

Honestly, a lot of my roses shut down in heat especially with lack of rain.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    5 years ago

What with the triple digit heat and the JBs, I haven't seen many blooms in my garden, but if the JBs would go away (only saw ONE on JB patrol this morning--hurray!), Munstead Woods and Molineux have been trying their hardest to bloom and bloom--only to get gobbled up within 24 hours of blooming. Same with Lady of Shalott, and Queen of Sweden would be willing to put out at least one or two blooms at a time--if the JBs would just stay away.

Pretty Jessica and Pompernell put out some sporadic bloom, but nothing very exciting.

If I hadn't transplanted Olivia Rose Austin and Love Song just a month ago, they would probably be doing something right now.

I do have two troupers, however--they just keep on putting out a couple more blooms and then a couple more (etc.)--never more than 3 -4 blooms, but they don't quit. There is always something blooming. Who are my two troupers? Mystic Beauty and Peter Mayle.

Mystic Beauty--looks so fragile and won't quit blooming in this heat!

~

Peter Mayle--usually has huge blooms, but in this heat, they are more modest sized. Regardless, just won't stop blooming more than a few days at a time.

A stray bloom here or there on some other bushes, but I don't really count them.

If the JBs are really soon to be gone, I should be able to enjoy more of my roses!

Lisa--love your bouquet!

Kate

• Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

Thank you! It was slim pickin’s out there for filler flowers. There are so many gorgeous roses on this thread. Erasmus, your Maggie stupefies me with her amount of blooms!

I’m happy that your Soul Sister is unfazed, Kristine. My new one is already leafing out. I had wanted a variety of heat tolerant roses of that color to mix into arrangements, but now I’m not so sure my plan is going to work. When I put the above blooms together, I had cut Evelyn, Princess Charlene de Monaco, and Abraham Darby, all to use in that arrangement. They all look similar enough in the garden, but once I began mixing them in the vase, they didn’t look quite right together. I just stuck with Evelyn because I had the most of her.

Kate, I totally agree with you about Mystic Beauty. She has been a blooming fool during the heat here, too! It’s too hot and bright out for pictures right now, but she’s blooming like the heat is no biggie:). Lisa

• rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Lisa - lovely bouquet with sooo many flowers!!!

Kristine - yes, your Soul Sister looks totally unfazed by the heat. :)

Erasmus - That's unreal how many flowers your Maggie has!! What an incredible rose bush!!!

Kate - your Mystic Beauty is really!! beautiful!!! And the color on your PM ... wow!!! It's so great that you get wonderful blooms from these two roses!

Carol

5 years ago

Got my best bloom ever from Melody Perfume after a week in the 100's.

I just love my Windermere. Blooms are extremely delicate with a luscious fragrance. I am amazed at how well the Austins do in this crazy heat.

5 years ago

Karen, holy moly !! Both roses so gorgeous but the size and color of Melody Parfume, wow!

• rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Karen - wow!!!! And that MP is stunning!!! Gorgeous!!

Carol

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    5 years ago

SOFL rose

How big does Darcey Bussell get for you ? Disease resistance ?

And how does "Princess Ann " perform for you ?

I have a partial shade spot in which I want a compact healthy rose that blooms a lot with good disease resistance . I think Austins can handle shade in sunny FL .

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Both roses are quite compact for me, considering they are Austins. Darcey gets to be about 3x3ft maybe 3.5x3.5ft. Princess Anne i grow in a pot so its possible she may get bigger in the ground, but she's about 2.5ft x 2 feet now. I only just got her this season but she was a largish bare root so she's prob about three seasons in now.

Of the two Princess Anne has better disease resistance, but I love both roses. Darcey has always been a good performer. I recommend both, but if you can only choose one... I'd go with Princess Anne. She has fuller blooms. Darcey's tend to be less petal packed and more blousy.

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    5 years ago

So FL rose

Thanks ! I was leaning towards Princess Ann myself because she was newer than DB .

Although I prefer HT rose form but I am tired of growing long naked legged roses .

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

Beautiful roses everyone! erasmus, I just finally got Maggie in the ground and after seeing yours I might be hoping for a little winter die-back! Wow! That is a gorgeous bush!!! : )

• lavenderlacezone8
    5 years ago

Late to the party but these were the best in high heat own-root here. But all had tons of water except for the first three.

Lemon Spice

Memorial Day

Twice in a Blue Moon

PJPII

Lady Emma Hamilton

Princess Charlene de Monaco

Fragrant Cloud

Tropicana

Sheila's Perfume

Evelyn