SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_528240689531070

Bedroom Design with Paisley Chairs

Cherry Adams
5 years ago

Hello looking for design ideas for my bedroom. Don't have a color scheme yet. My walls will be camel and very light yellow color. Looking at two of these chairs to go in my bedroom along went this style of bed. What other colors would go with these chairs or should I choose different chairs with these chairs? Also any suggestions on bedding and pillows to go along with these two Paisley chairs thank you

Comments (43)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hope the room is huge as you are on the way to a heavy and dark result. Is that what you want? Also a bit dated.................

Cherry Adams thanked JAN MOYER
  • decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Start with bedding to establish a color way. I agree with Jan about the visual weight of what you're planning. Its really heavy and requires a lot of space and high ceilings to pull it off. We might make better suggestions if you would post photos of all four walls and a rough floor plan with measurements.

Cherry Adams thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Related Discussions

When did the 'master' bedroom become the 'principal' bedroom?

Q

Comments (32)
    I’m in Canada and the townhome we just bought used “master bedroom” and ”second bedroom”. The bathroom is actually “master bathroom” too, though en-suite is more popular. I think “principal bedroom” works well, especially if describing short term rentals (where multiple couples might share a rental), rentals by you adults (again where roommates might be sharing), or multi- generational homes. You still want to confirm which room is the largest, but there isn’t a need to explain who then “master” of the home is. Random point- when I’ve booked Airline tickets for my son, he always gets the prefix “master” vs “Mr” on his tickets/booking. Hubby and I always get a good laugh, as there are definitely days where it feels like he runs things in our home! Maybe he should get the new master bedroom haha.
    ...See More

Help with small bedroom design with awkward windows!

Q

Comments (4)
    The grey squares are mirror (which i would also use a similar trim to the windows at the top and bottom in order to make it appear as if it is another window. The orange color are curtain placement (i would recommend floor to ceiling to make the 8ft ceilings look taller). and blue in furniture. the benefit of one versus the other is in A - this is the most dramatic appearance. it is literally the first place you see. and it gives you space at the end to do anything you might want (add a chair to read, or a yoga mat if you are into that) without blocking a door (this is important if there is more than one person in the room. B is second best as the next spot your eye goes to but it doesnt leave as much room.
    ...See More

bedroom design- opinions wanted

Q

Comments (17)
    Hi Pamela- I love your molding! The bedspread is lovely too. So here is the question. Does your husband want to avoid the green because he wants to avoid green? Or because he wants to stay with the more contemporary look that the curtain patterns have? Re: photo, you can add a comment with an additional photo of your green fabric.
    ...See More

guest bedroom layout / design advice

Q

Comments (2)
    My furniture gets dizzy from being moved so often! Since you only have the two pieces now, put the bed on one wall, go get a Coke, walk back into the room and see what you think. Tomorrow put the bed on the other wall, go get a cup of coffee and a cookie, and walk back into the room. Imagine you are the guest-which makes the room more comfortable for up you?
    ...See More
  • Cherry Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Being built. And you are right. Really heavy and dated. Something my husband picked out. Lol...I suggested something like this.

• njmomma
    5 years ago

here is some inspiration:

Venetian Meets Mediterranean: Bedroom · More Info

Cherry Adams thanked njmomma
  • Cherry Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow! This is the exact color my room will be and the height of my bed and everything. I love this! So I can do that style. Just in lighter color if room allows. This is beautiful.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Still too heavy! Still dated. Sorry to DH. :)

• Cherry Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Any other styles that work

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

The first problem is the bed. It's very difficult to begin a room with that heaviness. That becomes the elephant in the room, so the question is........do you own the bed? Yet? Could you consider wood with some upholstery........less CLUNK

• Cherry Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We already brought bed. It is in storage right now,

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

Wall color is the last thing to choose and camel would be the last one on my list . Get your bedding if you must keep the bed then work with it and the bedding the chairs come later IMO

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

No chairs yet! You're rushing. I'd sell the bed, honestly :)

• blfenton
    5 years ago

Keep the bed that you have if you like it. It's your private space and you dictate the vibe that you want.

• redoredone
    5 years ago

I agree with choosing your own style, rather than following trends. Use your new bed and be glad you chose it, because it is what you like. njmomma showed a room that inspires you, IdaClaire has some good color suggestions for accents, so I say jump in and go for it! Have fun and enjoy your beautiful new bedroom.

Cherry Adams thanked redoredone
  • leelee
    5 years ago

Brown bedroom, not so good. There are billions of other colors. Beautiful colors. NOt brown, please.

• leelee
    5 years ago

People post because they want the advice and opinions of others. Then they sort through it. Some they use, some they don't.

• blfenton
    5 years ago

My bedroom is brown with silver accents. I find it cozy with a touch of glam.

• User
    5 years ago

I agree with IdaClaire. Cherry wants ideas on how to incorporate her bed into a total look. If a PRO is incapable of doing that, then it's real easy to just move on to a post that they CAN help with (and just maybe reconsider their profession).

Cherry, I am not a pro but in my uneducated opinion, I wouldn't choose a print for the chair, because then it visually competes with the carving on the bed. I would pick something like this, in a light cream color, which is a classic with camel. It's got enough presence to stand up to the bed without competing with it.

Cherry Adams thanked User
  • Janie
    5 years ago

Rooms that are "dated" are personal opinions of (often) a designer and other people who are "pros" or just people like me who enjoy decorating forums and think that their houses are lovely! But they are only their personal opinions, just remember that. I know they're trying to help, that's why they are here, but its just one more opinion.

I hope you will find some various thoughts and ideas here that will help guide you to your choices - but mostly help you have confidence in your own style!

Cherry Adams thanked Janie
  • Danielle Black
    5 years ago

Go big! Do darker dramatic wallpaper! Creative lamps and rich art. Might as do it if you’re going to do it! Vibe some Hugh Hefner ;)

Cherry Adams thanked Danielle Black
  • nbadawi
    5 years ago

Your bed is beautiful and very detailed. I agree with Pennydesign on her suggestion for the chair (both the color, scale and style). It complements the bed and allows the details of the bed to stand out more (as it should). It allows you options to have fun with choosing different bedding and pillows since it won't compete with the chair. Just an opinion. (not a pro)....

I posted these pictures from Houzz just to show the bedding styles with such ornate beds. As you can see, the bedding is neutral or solid to allow the details of the bed to stand out.

Toronto Restoration · More Info

Mediterranean Bedroom · More Info

2013 Park City Showcase of Homes by Utah Home Builder, Cameo Homes Inc. · More Info

Home Remodel · More Info

• My House
    5 years ago

If your DH picked out the chair, then go with that chair. It's his room too. Listen to his input and preferences. Should you want a change in the future, get the chair recovered or have a slipcover made for it.

If this were my room, I'd choose WHITE bedding for a luxurious hotel feel. Why white? The furniture is dark and white would lighten the visual weight. Don't choose one of those "bed in the bags" Accent the bed with throw pillows in warm tones from the paisley chair? Add a light colored or cream pillow/ throw to the paisley accent chair, as such will marry it to the bed.

on this idea (search " 5 star luxury hotel" )

light pillow shown here on a dark couch, but the effect is the same- it lightens the space visually and links to white bedding

Cherry Adams thanked My House
  • blfenton
    5 years ago

The pictures that have been posted have some great ideas. I/m not sure what colour to paint your walls but if you keep the paisley chairs it looks like there is some gold in them which might work as a colour for accents.

The paisley chair does have a very strong pattern so be careful as to what other patterns you bring into the room. The chair and the detail of your bed might be enough and then keep everything else simple.

Cherry Adams thanked blfenton
  • olychick
    5 years ago

How nice to see someone bucking the ubiquitous style that so many “pros” and others promote. It will be your style with pieces you (or at least your husband) likes! Great ideas in many posts; some incredibly unhelpful and rude ones. Ignoring is a good skill to develop!

Cherry Adams thanked olychick
  • WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    5 years ago

Well said, Olychick. I have never understood PROS who are so dictatorial. The few I have worked with always listened to what we visualized and then offered way to reach that visualization, as well as offering options for consideration. There were no autocratic demands. Enough said by me.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Nobody is dictating. Suggestions as to what can happen with a given selection? Yes . Where is the room plan? The actual dimensions? A bed such as this needs a lot!!! of air! Is the room 20 X 16? The bed needs it!

What about side tables? So .... " seeing" in advance is design. So is warding off mistakes, and SOMETIMES it is good to catch them at the start, before an entire room gets planned around one .

Yes a lot of design is personal. Yes an over scaled thing can work in a space and act as the big surprise. BUT. It takes some skill .

So I shall ask again? What are the dimensions/ where is the room layout and plan?

Feeling warm and fuzzy up front, isn't half as great as jumping for joy at a room you love at the finish. Get mad if you like, but it's true 99.9 .

its fine to post rooms with imposing beds . Many above? About 22 X 16 :) A room begins with a floor plan. Yes with a bed. And side tables and great if room for a chair or even two. But planned.

• User
    5 years ago

Jan, for me, it was the "dated" comment that I think wasn't necessary. It seems that whenever a poster has a personal style, rather than help with their issue, the comment a lot of pro's throw out is "dated" with the full knowledge that THAT is the word that is sure to get the attention of a poster. To me (repeat TO ME) it's an unfair and cheap trick....

I have a lot of respect for those who have more knowledge than me and that includes, well just about everyone :), but an opinion on taste is not knowledge...

NOW. I'm making Lemondrop martinis. For everyone who imbibes.

• User
    5 years ago

Style is not dated if YOU like it. If your room if large enough, with high ceilings, it should be beautiful.

• User
    5 years ago

By the way, I like the chairs. I love paisley.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Okay, forgive "dated". We live in a world of changing styles. That said? Take a surf through a few pages of Houzz. Think about the lamps you may want . What about the side tables? When the furniture industry moves ahead ? It takes the rest with it. Doesn't mean you can't have what you want. It usually turns out to be more expensive, or unusually the polar opposite or just harder to find.

• Cherry Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all for the beautiful comments and suggestions. My heart is warm and all the beautiful pictures are mind blowing. I'm looking forward to making the right decision. I love paisley also. It is a go between for my husband and I. We both get the comfort and I get my paisley. I will consider all suggestions and look past my feelings being hurt a little. Because of all the beautiful encouragement I can move forward now.

• User
    5 years ago

Cherry you're sweet and gracious. For me, I apologize profusely for my part in dampening your enthusiasm.

For the record, I've been on the receiving end of this. Oddly, the negativity gave me the courage to go ahead with my choices anyway. Maybe it was a bit of rebellion, I don't know. Anyway, one lovely poster said to me (after I decided to make my purchase anyway)...."And this is how style is born".

I appreciated it and I remembered it and I'm saying the same thing to you, too.

• leelee
    5 years ago

Your husband picked the chairs....did he also pick the rest of the furniture?

• Cherry Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We both picked it out together and we love our choice. This is our forever home that we are builting. We both will be living in it together and having what he likes also will make home ...our home. It's important that we share one another style. So Agian I Thank you all for your kindness and giving me ideas that we both will take into consideration. One thing I've learn from this is not to give up what I like but to bring in other colors and styles to make it more beautiful.

• Molly
    5 years ago
    It’s hard to get colors from a computer screen, but the BM app pulled out these colors from your chair.
  • Molly
    5 years ago
    This is another.
  • User
    5 years ago

Since you already have the bed I would consider figuring out what bedding you want first before choosing chairs. I love paisley too but keep in mind the chairs will dictate color scheme vs. if you went with solid chairs and used pillows with paisley or a blanket with plaid, etc. I also think bedding can be less expensive (if you went with pattern) than chairs. Just some food for thought! My living room furniture is paisley (I know a bedroom is different situation than LR.) and I still love the print but it's too much and really limits my choices. I'm looking forward to the day we buy solid. Just try and get a clear plan together and think long term (or however long you plan to keep it) before you buy anything else.

• Cherry Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That's a,really great idea! I woke up this thinking about that. Thanks for the pictures and color scheme.

• User
    5 years ago

I have a different take...If you put the paisley on the bed, it will fight with the headboard. So I would keep the paisley (if that's a decision made) on the chairs and opt for plain, light, bedding. But the best think is still, I think, plain chair, plain bedding, and have the bed be the star. Also that would be the easiest way to co-ordinate things.

Chair first, then bedding, then paint.

• Molly
    5 years ago
    I agree on the plain chair as well. I love paisley too and it can be used as an accent throw/pillow too.
    Cherry Adams thanked Molly
  • My House
    5 years ago

Who picked the paisley chair? It was a combo between you & DH? It looks comfortable, practical, and has a cozy feel.

If you like the shape, as well as the pattern- then get the chair. You could always slipcover in a washable fabric later.

Side note- My DH picked these chairs 6-years ago. He really loved the pattern, scale & traditional feel. We weren't furniture shopping- they just caught his eye while we were out one day. Since we both like cool colors, we haven't tired of the chairs. They sit in a room with an off white slipcovered sofa and they have cream linen accent pillows. If we grow weary of the pattern, we'll get them covered. I'm glad we got them when we did as they are discontinued

My point - buy what you are drawn to and you won't be sorry.

Glasgow Ikat Clifton Chair · More Info
    Unless, you are expecting to throw parties in your master bedroom, you don't need approval by Houzz ppl for your bedroom. Your house/ bedroom reflects your marriage, a blending of you both. Have confidence and find your personal style, not what is "trendy"

If you are looking to buy furniture, the pros here are more than happy to suggest purchases

Cherry Adams thanked My House
  • My House
    5 years ago

What artwork do you plan for the room? Do you have anything in mind?

If not, might I suggest a large print of your first hug/dance together? It is not the usual wedding photo, but more of an abstract, as the focus is your embrace. Make it a large poster size- (Walgreens photo) Frame it with a colored mat board that's similar to your chair's color or another warm accent color you want to emphasize.

poster on this idea:

Find colored matboard at a craft store

• User
    5 years ago

DK Haas, that is one gorgeous chair! I'm swooning here.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida