SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breanne_ayers

Older Cat with Bladder Stone

Breanne Ayers
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

My 15 year old cat has had ongoing urinary issues. She was diagnosed with crystals years ago and has been on dry Hills C/D food for it for years, I've read just tonight that this might be the cause of her latest stones.

Recently she's gotten worse, lost weight even and very recently was showing signs of a severe UTI (straining more than normal, and urinating very frequently out of the box). I took her in to our vet 2 days ago, this is when the stone was found in her kidney. He believes it's just one (the xray was taken with her lying on her side) I'd say it looked just smaller than a dime on the xray, I assumed the scale was 1:1, I didn't think to ask about actual size while there. I assume calcium oxalate since shes been on C/D for so long. He sent me home with pain medicine and said that a surgery on her would be too risky. He said kidney's on a cat are hard to reach compared to bladder stones and that the kidneys are so small making it even more difficult. I trust him, but have read online a bit....should I get a second opinion on surgery? I am not a rich person, but I love my cat. Should she still be on the Hills C/D, we've since moved to the all canned variety but could it be making it worse?

Thanks everybody!

Comments (4)