SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merlena87

Some of my recent blooms

Sara-Ann Z6B OK
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Here‘s some of what’s been blooming recently. I haven’t had much problem with my roses remaining healthy, my main problem has been keeping up with the maintenance, and I haven’t done a very good job!

LAVENDER LASSIE - I was able to smell these this morning for the first time, love it! Seems very healthy. I think Felicia will be too. The Hybrid Musks are recommended here. I see more of these in my future.

JULIA CHILD has put on remarkable growth this year and is so healthy

POPE JOHN PAUL II, both my established one and new one have done good.

DON JUAN - I think I’m going to love this one.

Comments (44)

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    5 years ago

CRESCENDO

NEIL DIAMOND

CH-CHING - This one has taken on renewed vigor this year, after not doing so good the past three seasons.

DARK DESIRE - Both of these have bloomed pretty good, are very healthy.

FRANCIS MEILLAND - This bush is very healthy and had about one dozen scattered blooms after I was complaining about blind shoots, it took awhile, but they all produced some very nice blooms.

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    5 years ago

EASY DOES IT - This one has been one of my best bloomers this year.

PINK PEACE - I now have four of these. They’ve all been blooming good.

CLIMBING AMERICA

An assorted bouquet

VIOLET’S PRIDE - I’ve seen some gorgeous pictures of this one that make me envious, but mine has been doing good and is prettier than the picture shows.

GOLD MEDAL - Love the blooms, but they do fade quickly!

• Related Discussions

Mona's Seedlings for last week(photos)

Q

Comments (8)
    Oh, Mona, they are all stunning, but as soon as I saw the first one, Popcorn Pete x Wonders Never Cease, I said aloud "OOOHHHHHH". That is a real stunner. Please keep posting your seedling pictures. Ann
    ...See More

Some from today and recent blooms

Q

Comments (7)
    Awww, that is so sweet about your DH. Maybe you will convert him to a daylily person, lol. It is pretty! I don't know...I kinda like the tall ones these days. It's nice on the back to not bend over to see, photograph and live/deadhead. I found The Band Played On to be a good plant (hope for you, too). My orange clay, though, did a number on the color...if it had looked like yours, it would still have prime real estate. :) Enjoyed your pictures.
    ...See More

Recent blooms......(Part 1).....pix

Q

Comments (12)
    Rita...I am fortunate to still have so much rebloom. I even saw some new scapes shooting up today. :) Kay....lots of people love PS...it's a real beauty and doesn't know when to stop blooming either! Another plus in it's favor. Alberta....you'll be very pleased with those I'm sure. Gene sends wonderful plants. I've got several Munsons coming from him this fall. Linda...thanks, glad you like them. That seedling is kind of different, I guess. :) Tom...thank you, and as long as I'm getting blooms I'll post photos. Glad you find that strange little seedling interesting. njmomma...LOL...I know, but there are some that still have it. Someone on here recently requested that we post fewer photos on each thread due to them having dial up. CPL is gorgeous in person. Photos just don't do it justice. Barb...I usually get some rebloom, but this year it's been crazy. Never had so many rebloom before and I'm still finding new scapes almost daily. Jan
    ...See More

Sharing a new bloom

Q

Comments (16)
    Thanks for the comments. Hi Dr, i bought this sometime last year and it was already blooming. I'm not sure how old it is. This is the first bloom after the initial bloom when it was purchased. Hi Rick, I love the deep red colour and that is why I bought it. According to the chinese name written on the pot, I guess the translated name is 'Vietnam red, extra large'.
    ...See More
  • Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area)
    5 years ago

Love these pics. Another person teasing me with PJPII. Whenever I see them available, they never look as good in person as they do with some of the pictures fellow gardeners post. I really do have to bite the bullet.

Sara-Ann Z6B OK thanked Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area)
  • Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    5 years ago
    All gorgeous Sara Ann! That lavender lassie looks so beautiful. I love the look of it. I hope you are having a great weekend!
    Sara-Ann Z6B OK thanked Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
  • rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Sara Ann - beautiful pictures...especially Pink Peace, PJPII, Julia Child, Crescendo and ND!!!! I can't wait for my PJPII blooms to start looking like yours!! Gawjus!!

Carol

Sara-Ann Z6B OK thanked rosecanadian
  • dublinbay z6 (KS)
    5 years ago

Looking good, Sara Ann. Especially Easy Does It! And Lavender Lassie is such a lovely pastel rose.

How are you getting so many blooms? With the heat here, most of my roses are not blooming or only managing a couple blooms each. But worst of all, for the first time, my gardens have seriously been attacked by the JBs. Don't you have any down your way? In the past, I'd get a handful here and a handful there, and then they'd be gone. But this year there's a dozen on any bush that manages to squeeze out a bloom or two, and no matter how many I kill, they are all back again the next day (and the next day, and the day after that--they aren't going away!).

Sorry, didn't mean to vent on your beautiful thread. It's just that I'm envious. : (

Kate

Sara-Ann Z6B OK thanked dublinbay z6 (KS)
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

Wow Sara Ann, your roses are really taking off. I love Crescendo

Sara-Ann Z6B OK thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
    5 years ago

Lovely bouquet!

Sara-Ann Z6B OK thanked vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
  • jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    5 years ago

WOW! Fantastic! :-)

Sara-Ann Z6B OK thanked jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    5 years ago

I cant believe how much better Munstead is doing in year 2

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Love your Munstead Wood, Kristine!

5 years ago

Thank you. So much better this year.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Sara Ann, I agree with you that hybrid musks are wonderful roses, and your Lavender Lassie has such an exquisite look--so delicate. I wish I had the room to grow her and Felicia. Maybe Cornelia, too. I have grown Ballerina for fourteen years and love it. Your Pope John Paul ll is just luscious. I agree when someone posted that many photos on this thread look so much better than elsewhere. I wish we could put together a book or two of all of them. Crescendo is another of yours that has that delicacy and exquisite shading. I'm still remembering your English Perfume (did I get the name right) and wishing I could grow that one, too. Yours is among the best. Like Kate, I don't have any roses for bouquets--deer do the job of the JBs, which we don't have. It's always something. Anyway, I love your bouquet, you lucky duck.

Just wanted to add this note to Kate. Welcome to the No Roses for Bouquets Now club. I'm sorry about the JBs, and here it's the deer eating roses blooms. The deer population is exploding around here, and this plague grows worse every year. I've been wishing the extremely hot weather would drive them back up the mountains which are close by. But, hey, they're members of the neighborhood now.

Yours in the trials and tribulations of rose growing, Diane.

Sara-Ann Z6B OK thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you everyone! I would say that the majority of my blooms aren’t the greatest this time of year, but I do have a few nice ones. I hate to hear that so many of you have problems with JB’s. I think that they were on a few of my roses during the second flush. I noticed something like that on my Neptune and a few others. I was disappointed, because I was looking forward to some more of those gorgeous, fragrant blooms. Right now it has about 15 buds on it, but I’m sure the heat will diminish their beauty. I know the feeling of wanting to have lots of beautiful blooms at just the right time, but it doesn’t quite work out right, frustrating!

We have deer around here, but apparently not as many as in other places. The only problem I’ve had with deer is one night when we were on our way home, a deer hit the side of our pickup and did about $10,000 worth of damage. Thankfully it was covered by insurance. And I’m also thankful my grandson was driving! I probably would have panicked! Sorry for the deer, but glad no human was hurt! That was almost two years ago.

• rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Kristine - Your MW is doing well! So pretty with lots of blooms!! Mine may be starting to get better since I changed the soil to 5:1:1. It has about 5 blooms on it...they're small though and the bush is small.

Carol

5 years ago

Carol, did you change the soil in all of your pots ?

• rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Just for the roses that haven't been doing well....so 4 so far...plus I have a lot of new roses. It's just that the leaves are really horrible looking...no blackspot though.

Carol

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My roses are setting on buds galore! I was able to get a few pics this morning of a few blooms. And when we got home from a day out of town on Saturday I was able to cut an arrangement of rain refreshed blooms. My Orchid Romance has bloomed almost non-stop and Liebeszauber too, although I don’t have a picture of it here. I am just beginning to get some pretty Peace blooms and my newly planted Belinda’s Dream, which is potted put on a nice flush and is really looking healthy. Earth Song keeps setting on blooms and I noticed it is beginning to set on some clusters. I’ve been pleased with my multiflora Marijke Koopman, as with all of my multiflora roses.

ORCHID ROMANCE

PEACE

BELINDA’S DREAM

EARTH SONG

MARIJKE KOOPMAN

BEWITCHED

5 years ago

Sara-Ann, wow! What beautiful pinks

Orchid Romance is so pretty.

Carol, I have been replanting some of my minis because the smaller pots really seemed to lose their ooph after a few months

I Replanted a Mini called 1st and foremost and it had had two blooms maybe all last year and as soon as I repotted it it went crazy ,so full and so healthy

• rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Kristine - your minis must be big flower producers to go through potting soil that fast. Minis are really good bloomers for the most part, though...aren't they?

Sara-Ann - I looked at your bouquet and the white one with the pink edging jumped right out of me...and then you named it as Peace. No wonder Peace is so popular ... gorgeous!!! Love all of your roses...lots of color!

Carol

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    5 years ago

MOONSTONE has produced some nice blooms recently

A recent bouquet

5 years ago

Sara Ann, Moonstone is one that always jumps out at me in the catalogue. It is such a beautiful rose. Im glad that it is working out for you.

How is your Savannah doing ?

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I had a pleasant surprise when I went out to water this morning. LOUISE ESTES had this gorgeous bloom. Up to now it has had several, but this is the first really good one, worth the wait!

Kristine, thank you! I thought I had mentioned that my Savannah died early in the season. It had begun getting some green on it, finally, but the April cold snap zapped it. I do plan to replace it next year. This time I will plant it directly in the ground.

• rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Sara-Ann - Oh!!!!!!! I love your Louise Estes!!!!!! What a fabulous picture!!! Well done!! I love your bouquet!!! Wow!!

Carol

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here are a few from the past couple of days.

GOLD MEDAL

BRIGADOON

PINK PEACE

Right now I have quite a few buds that will be opening soon. My fortuniana PJPII which just got through blooming is already loaded with buds. Also, my Chrysler Imperial and Firefighter on fort. have quite a few buds. Peace, Pink Peace, Moonstone, Granada and The McCartney Rose on fort. have all been blooming pretty good all season. The majority of my potted roses no matter what rootstock or own root are blooming good.

5 years ago

Looking good Sara Ann! Very nice blooms!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

I love your bouquet!!!

• Jim F (Zone8/PNW)
    5 years ago

I was looking for a place to share a photo I took today and this thread looks like the right spot!

The vase holds two FRANCIS MEILLAND (palest pink) which is just in its second year and finally coming into its own. Two COLOR MAGIC - ditto, a second year plant of this 1980s classic HT, and one bloom of POPE JOHN PAUL II. This one is in its third year and finally doing its thing. I was still disappointed with it last year, its second year, but have found many of my roses (the hybrid teas at least) often require three years to really show what they're capable of. Perhaps it's due to our cool summer climate, but they seem to take a while forming a decent framework of canes to produce such quality blooms. Worth the wait I guess!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

Wowzer! It's difficult to pick a favorite. I had never even heard of color magic. what a pretty rose, but Francis steals my heart

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That’s a lovely arrangement, Jim.

• Jim F (Zone8/PNW)
    5 years ago

I will look and see if I have any more photos of Color Magic. It really is a lovely rose. Like the more recent 'Colorific' (2015? Floribunda) it is one of those chameleons that starts out a pale color and then darkens. So far I like all the different shades of coral pink and cherry red I've seen in Color Magic.

I agree about Francis Meilland though vaporvac. It's that beautiful soft shade of pink I was first attracted to many years ago when I grew Royal Highness. Unfortunately that was a rather poor performer that mildewed badly. So far Francis has been disease free in my garden.

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I was wondering what zone you are in, Jim F? I agree that Color Magic is lovely, but tender here. I’ve grown Francis Meilland for several years and my first one didn’t bloom much, but I loved the blooms, I planted another one last year and it is blooming much more. FM is a very good rose, beautiful and fragrant and the bush is very healthy.

• Jim F (Zone8/PNW)
    5 years ago

Hi Sara-Ann. I'm in zone 8, Seattle area. Winter hardiness is not much of an issue here. It was when I first grew roses in the mid 1980s, but our winters now seems a bit more gentle, and temps below 20 are rare and even much below 25 doesn't seem to happen most years.

Sara-Ann Z6B OK thanked Jim F (Zone8/PNW)
  • rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Sara-Ann - I'm so happy that your potted roses are blooming well!!! I'm not sure if I've asked you this yet...but what type of potting soil do you use? I l ove all three of your rose pictures! I'm not sure which one I love the most...they're all so beautiful! oooh!! You make FM sound wonderful!!!

Jim - I really love PJPII and Francis Meilland. I've always thought of get FM...what do you think of yours? Oh...I just read that yours is disease-free. That's good!

Carol

5 years ago

Sara Ann, that is one of the prettiest pictures of Medalion that I've seen.

Im sorry about your Savannah. Im not sure that I would replace mine. I love the color of the blooms but there is a lot of foliage and a lot of down ti.ti.e between blooms. I would replace mine with Fiji. That is much more proportionate, blooms to foliage.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    5 years ago

Wow lots more beauties added here!! Lovely ! I need to get my orchid romance planted so it can be as fabulous as yours . I also added Francis meilland , and my husband always comments on it . So interesting the things he is drawn toward. But Francis has been very healthy and tall already too!

Sara-Ann Z6B OK thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you. Kristine, did you mean Gold Medal? Although I love Medallion, it's not one that I have. My Savannah had such nice fragrance, and last year I liked it better as the season progressed. I think you would like Orchid Romance, Lily, at least you would if it did as good for you as it does for me. It's almost a fool proof rose for me. Carol, I use Miracle Gro Potting mix. This year I added Osmocote to all my established potted roses and also the newly planted ones at the time I planted them.

Here's a picture of Bolero. It seems to be coming along pretty good, because it got a slow start at the beginning of the season. It had some wind damage, but came out of that just fine. Until now it had a few scattered blooms.

DOUBLE DELIGHT - This one has bloomed a lot, just not very many that have been that pretty so far, but it is always fragrant!

I have had some nice PINK PEACE blooms this year, and I can always count on its fragrance too.

5 years ago

Sara Ann, I meant Brigadoon. I love that rose

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Okay! I agree, Brigadoon is a lovely rose so far.

5 years ago

Really enjoying looking at your roses Sara Ann! :-)

Sara-Ann Z6B OK thanked jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
  • Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    5 years ago

When I went out this morning to check my roses, i think the humidity was around 96 percent, that's what Alexa said. Anyway, here are a couple of blooms that looked good this morning:

NEIL DIAMOND -This one seems to be doing good. It has had two flushes, then lost its foliage, but is blooming again, so this will be the third flush. I prefer the blooms that show more white, like the one shown here.

DICK CLARK - This one has had quite a few blooms, but because of timing, most of them haven't had very many petals. This one from this morning looks pretty good. The bush is looking so healthy right now. I believe this is its fifth season and it has really taken off. I was about to give up on it, but it has grown by leaps and bounds this year and looks great!

5 years ago

Both are very nice looking blooms Sara Ann! :-)

• rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Sara-Ann - I love your Pink Peace! That's one of my favorite roses. I love your Neil Diamond. Mine has finally taken off...it has tons of blooms. I've been wanting to get rid of it for quite a few years...thankfully I didn't. :) That's a gorgeous picture of Dick Clark!!! Wowza!

Carol