SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iowablooms

Roses in raised bed

Iowa Blooms z 5
5 years ago

A large portion of my sunny garden is behind a 1.5 foot retaining wall. I am interested in planting about 6 lower growing roses along the edge, in front of peonies. Do you all think I need to get extra hardy roses for this section because it might be more susceptible to low temps? Or am I over thinking this? The peonies are about 3-4 feet from the edge of the bed, but in some sections they are only about 2 feet from the edge so the roses would be near the retaining wall.

Any rose suggestions? This area has several purple clematis (Blue Angel, Proteus, Venosa Violacea) plus blue salvia and white rose campion that are blooming during our first rose flush. Then it transitions to red and orange coneflowers and yellow rudbeckia, currently. Eventually it has some helenium and hardy hibiscus blooming.

I purchased Easy Elegance Calypso and Sunrise Sunset and was considering them for this area but they kind of clash during the clematis bloom period. I seem to struggle with color combinations though so any input appreciated. :)

Comments (11)