SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zouye

Townhouse planning

zouye
5 years ago
We are thinking of purchasing a 3 floor town house 22’x 42’. I have the following dilemma about the house plan for 2nd and 3rd floor.

Option 1: Kids on 2nd floor, adults on the 3rd floor.
Layout on 2nd floor: 2 bedrooms for my son and daughter (6 and 4 y.o), each bedroom 10ftx 16ft (incl. closet space), 1 full bathroom for the kids, playroom (14ft x 14 ft), laundry room (12x 6)
Layout on 3rd floor: our master bedroom, walk in closet, full bathroom, office, storage (for winter gear, etc)

Option 2: adults on 2nd floor, kids in top floor.
Layout on 2nd floor: master bedroom, walk in closet, full bath, office, laundry room
Layout on 3rd floor: 2 large kids bedrooms (12ft x 20 ft), 1 full bath, storage. No playroom. We only have 3 windows on 3rd floor so we can’t fit a playroom there (1 large window in front, 1 large window in the back and 2ft wide window on the side).

Most days I prefer option 1 because of the playroom for the kids. However, I am concerned about sleeping higher than the kids. If there is a fire, it is easier to grab them on the way out but if there is an intruder we are further away from the entrance. We would have a house alarm and can keep a monitor for the hallway. I also worry if their rooms are too big they will never come down to hang out with the rest of us and are less likely to play together since each has their own large space.

So there are pros and cons for both, I was wondering what others think about the layouts and if there are other pros and cons I have not considered. What would be your option?

P.S. we can’t move/add/chance windows or staircase in this build, only walls.

Thanks in advance,

Zouye
Option 2: No playroom but larger bedrooms and kids on top floor
Option 1: Playroom but smaller bedrooms and kids on 2nd floor

Comments (10)