SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hmoates

House styles for Alabama acreage

Haley
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I have read several articles on here discussing house style depending on where you live. Something along the lines of making your house design work for your location; taking advantage of natural light, scenic views, breezes, etc.

So what kind of (ONE STORY) styles would suit this area? It's quite a distance from the road; approximately a 1/3 mile. And fairly isolated. The land belongs to my father; he's a farmer with zero intention of parting with his land. He would be deeding about 2 acres to us. He has several other plots of land, but not exactly build-friendly.

I'm not sure what else to say or ask, but I will try my best to answer any questions concerning this and than you in advance for any recommendations you may provide. Sorry for posting two pictures, but I figured it would provide more useful information concerning how far away from the road it is and everything that is surrounding the location.

Weather: Hot and Humid; when we have Winter, it's Cold and Humid. Also have Tornadoes, Hail, occasional Flooding, and the rare hurricane that makes it this far inland.

***We plan on talking with an architect, specifically ARG, but we're not ready to "sit down" and discuss everything yet so we have scheduled anything. We're still in the figuring everything out phase, because we've scrapped the house plan we were considering and we haven't sat down with any loan officer's yet, so we really don't know what our budget is. Unless you don't need to have that figured out first?

Up close image of hayfield where we want to build. Question mark being the general location (and North), seems to be the flattest area and is a highpoint. The field is hilly.

Red = Plot of land

Icy Blue = Part of plot

PT = Peach Trees

HF = Hayfield

Lime Green = House that should be demolished

Purple/Pink = Father's house

Dark Blue = Hayfield where we want to build

Comments (28)