SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andemb3

Front door facing kitchen? Or sideways into living?

andemb3
5 years ago

We're rehabbing a 2500 sqft ranch built in 1960. The home currently has TWO front doors on either side of a recessed porch (the result of a lazily done addition many years ago.

We would love to wall up the sideways doors and have big double front doors like these red ones...

...but could (more cheaply) just fix up one of the sideways-facing doors to be something like this yellow one:

My dilemma relates to what each of these options does to the flow and function of the interior. Below are the two accompanying floor plans, with the front-facing doors, and the side-facing doors.

The front-facing doors are far better in my view, in terms of curb appeal, period authenticity, and creating an entryway inside the house. BUT they dump you right into the kitchen, make the dining area weirdly broken up, and makes the transition to the bonus room/bedroom squishy.

The sideways facing door opens up the interior more, lets you enter facing into living space instead of kitchen, make the dining space flow better, BUT...is more awkward from the outside and doesn't give much of an entrance area inside.

Which works better? Are there other things I could change to make this work better?

Here is the floor plan with the front-facing doors:

And here is the floor plan with the sideways door:

Any other criticism would be welcome! I'm sure I'm doing some dumb things that I just can't see anymore because I've been staring at this for so long. We aren't working with an architect yet because our budget is tight but I feel like a couple hours of someone's time might be a good use of money.

Thanks so much for any suggestions or advice or opinions!

Comments (10)