SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rick7072

For seeds that need stratification........

Rick (zone 6b, MA)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

.... I've fallen in love with Penstemon this year, and my love affair is a little bit crazy because I'm in eastern Massachusetts. I'd like to have more Penstemon plants this September and I decided to grow them myself from seed indoors. I've never grown anything from seed for fall planting in the summer, but I think it's a worthwhile endeavor. So here on the cusp of July I'm going to try to germinate Penstemon palmeri and P. eotonii seeds in germinating mix in seed trays.

I know seeds of these species want/need to be stratified, and I could put them in moist vermiculite in plastic bags in the refrigerator for 2 months first, but because I'm lazy I'm going to try it without stratification. I know the germination rate will therefore be "low", but my question is: does "low" mean zero, or 25% or 50%, or .... ? If I plant seeds in each of the 24 cells of a seed tray, is there a reasonable chance that a few of them will germinate?

Oh, I forgot to mention: to make this even more of a fool's errand, these seeds were "packed for 2017" which probably means they were harvested in 2016.

Comments (5)