SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Agave stricta is blooming!

roselee z8b S.W. Texas
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Agave stricta is said to be one agave that doesn't die after flowering. I hope it's true because I have two in pots that are blooming ...

I love this agave because it does well in a small pot, never burns or wilts in the heat, is not bothered by freezing weather and laughs at hail storms. But they'll stick ya' good though with those needle tipped leaves if you get within a foot of where they are growing! Ouch!

I've had them for 10 or 15 years and this is the first time they've flowered ...

Funny thing about propagation: I had it growing in the mail box planter and Bob worried that the mail man would get stuck. He wanted it far, far away. So I moved it out to the island. The soil was hard and therefore the hole was shallow.

It sat there for weeks and weeks and started to look kinda' strange. I went over to take a look and saw that it had rearranged it's leaves to form eight or nine small whirls of separate plants. I picked it up by one of the points and found it was just sitting on top of the ground. It had never rooted! It's response to stress was to divide.

So of course I felt sorry for it and took it home, divided it, gave some away and kept four or five plants. I'm glad I did as it has a very 'sharp' ;-) decorative appearance, will grow under any condition. Along with Agave bracteosa it's among my favorites.

What have you done away with and then took back and was glad you did?

Comments (20)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio