SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephen_r_duggins

Wave Runner - my new favorite

steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

For over two weeks now!

The 3rd picture in the Hosta Library convinced me I needed to try this Hosta in a sunny spot and hope for a similar look. Yes, I got sucked in by that one picture. So I ordered one from Glenbrook Farm. I received a good sized 2-eye division that was mostly just a typical, medium green Hosta with subtle variegation. I promptly planted it in a spot that gets early morning and late afternoon sun, but not much in between. It grew well, had a nicely ruffled leaf shape and the variegation started to come out. Nice looking Hosta. I'm glad I got that one.

o we went on a little 11 day vacation and I was hoping my new plants would get enough rain while I was gone (they got plenty of rain). When we returned I was very impressed with the changes in this one. The color really started popping with the green starting to lighten towards chartreuse and the edge becoming a more pronounced and irregular brassy yellow. A white line appeared between the two jiggling around creating even more colors. I kept walking back around to see it. It almost glows and the edge is almost orange. (Pictures, of course, do not do it justice).

So when we decided to go to Wade and Gatton's I decided to look for another one and ended up with this rather large plant.

And while not exactly like that 3rd picture in the Hosta Library (yet). I'm liking it even better. I want to make sure I give this one the right exposure. It has become my new favorite. And yes, I can be rather fickle and should probably give it a couple of years, but I'm not known for my patience (hence the buying a 2nd larger plant). This picture shows the range of colors fairly well, even if another plant decided to slip its leaf in there.

Thank you John Van Ostrand.

Comments (19)