SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stlgal_gw

Waving my shovel about or Noble Anthony, maybe not so much?

stlgal
12 years ago

Can't finalize this year's order until I decide who gets the boot. May be bad form to talk about the roses currently living on death row but I plan to axe these, unless convinced otherwise. They've had 2 years now to show what they can do and these underwhelm me currently:

1. Grace(sulky little thing who only occasionally gives me a small, flat flower). No fragrance I can detect.

2. Mayflower. For all of its much touted disease resistance, this is always the one with BS in my garden when the others are clean. Again, little pink flowers with no fragrance and they seem to crap out rapidly. This one looks like it may be dying on its own, so maybe I just have a very unhappy one.

3. Noble Anthony. This one is questionable. He's skinny and about 3 feet tall, hasn't given me much bloom this season and the ones there were didn't strike me as remarkable. Of late, he's decided to lose all of his leaves and is bare except a little new growth. He has one bud at present, and I'm tempted to use the quality of this bloom as a litmus test for whether to be patient and give him another year or to boot him. Does anyone love this rose or is it inferior to others I'd put in its place (Wise Portia, Pretty Jessica, Louise Clements, Lady of the Mist).

4. Not an SP but a rose to maybe move: Princess Alexandria of Kent. I hear from others she's short and spreading and that's my experience too, she's only 18" tall and a couple of the canes are longer but go laterally along the ground. I'm wondering if she's ever going to mature to a taller plant (at least 2.5 feet in actual height) or if I need to move her to a new spot where she can be her itty-bitty spreading self in peace.

Thanks to anyone who has an opinion on these guys, or can offer moral support on the SP versus save decision....I always feel bad giving up on a rose, but sometimes patience gets you nowhere and it is just better to try something else...

Comments (30)