SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_81368426018

in Dallas tax and new to roses

K Rod Zone 8
5 years ago
Hello my name is Takeisha Saunders and i just received my first gallon pot roses The Impressionist and Golden Celebration. I live in DALLAS TX. I planted them Monday in plastic half barrel containers in my backyard near my raised beds. I used the starter kit amendments (bone meal, mint compost, manure, and coffee grounds) to my potting soil mix added the fish emulsion and watered them really well. We have one in the front already that seems to be doing well although i am not sure what kind it is. They get mostly morning and early afternoon sun. I am wondering since we have some 100 degree days coming up if they should get some afternoon shade since they are so young? Or is full Texas summer sun ok? We have spots in the yard near the house that are shaded starting at about 230-300pm. Do i just sit back and wait for them to do their thing and just water every few days? Is there anything i should be looking out for and how often should i fertilize/water? Thank you I’m really excited about them and want to get it right.

Comments (58)

• K Rod Zone 8
    Original Author
    5 years ago

OMG I’m already addicted. I can’t wait for these to grow so i can buy more!!!! But I’m going to wait just so i know i won’t kill them!!

• cedemas
    5 years ago

Hah hah. Join the club. This can be a very expensive habit. I told Mr. Blue Jeans (of Rose Petals Nursery) that I was obsessed. He replied that he is "obsessed on steroids." It happens! In 3 months I went from 3 to 93. Unlike you, I could not wait.

• Related Discussions

local rose nurseries in north dallas/plano/frisco

Q

Comments (11)
    Judith, thanks for the idea. What I was thinking of is slightly nuts: I'm planning on being in Dallas in April, when bareroots are just hitting the nurseries here in NY & the selection is very limited. I don't want to order in advance as I've been disappointed in the past when I got puny plants in the mail; I want to see the plant in person to check out the canes & blooms. It's also much more fun to make a selection that way. SO I got this idea of shopping in Texas & either shipping them back home to NY or somehow pack them up for travel & sneaking them into my suitcase. DH thinks I'm certifiable. It might work. or not.
    ...See More

New (intro) - Dallas, I want a container garden-Help!

Q

Comments (29)
    So I went by Lowes today and saw a couple of Hibiscus I could't live without. They are 2 small plants, but they were $4 each. They are a bright fuscia color. I didn't know Hibiscus was such a pretty flower....so much to learn! So I brought them home. I should of bought some pots too, but afraid hubby will notice a major charge on the debit card. LOL I figure if I keep frequent low charges, they aren't as alarming...LMAO! Yes, I am planning on attending the plant swap. I do need to print up the directions and all. As far as Salvia goes, not sure what kind I have, I'll have to pull up the tag and read it when I get home. I didn't put the seeds far in the dirt. I just sprinkled the seeds on top of the soil and put about 1/8 of an inch of soil spread on top. So they are very lightly in there. Hopefully they'll still be okay. Ooo, yes, I looked up the pics of the Salvia, and I like. And I'll have to look up what the Texas Star Hibiscus looks like, but I know I'll probably like those too if I like the ones I bought already. Thanks so much for your help! I can't tell you how much it's appreciated!
    ...See More

Double Delight Rose in Dallas Area

Q

Comments (31)
    OH Man!! I've avoided all those special rose places on purpose! I'm not really a rose person. :) I like the smelly ones, on my tables... but I'm not a fan of the plant. I just don't think they're pretty. But for the right flower I'll put up with the plant. :) And camouflage it as best I can! Susan, both of the ones I had at the other house were bushes also. I was so surprised when that guy said they were climbers. I think he doesn't realize the shipment they got in were actually shrubs and not the climbers he think they are. At least that is what I'm telling myself. The tags on them clearly indicate they are shrubs. Doesn't say climber anywhere on them.
    ...See More

New Dallas rose rosette virus article

Q

Comments (6)
    This is the part I find most interesting: ”A researcher at the University of Tennessee has had some luck killing the mites with commonly available chemical sprays or miticides. But they had to be used so often that it was not practical.” I believe it’s a reference to Dr. Mark Windham’s work. With certain miticides, he was RRD free for his trial period (the control sample and all other methods all caught RRD). He sprayed every two weeks, I do not find that ‘not practical’. I think more needs to be tested along this line. I’ve been using the same miticides he used, I’ve been free for over a year. Of course only time will tell and more research needs to be done.
    ...See More
  • K Rod Zone 8
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow cedemas where did you put all of those plants!!!

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

It is very addictive. I was like you. Buy a few and see if I kill them since I have black thumb instead I end up buying more. Rose fever. My husband looks at me and told me that I am going to fill up all the space. So , now I am being very picky and taking my time.

Jin

• K Rod Zone 8
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have a wishlist about 15 roses long lol. I have to decide how i want them so there is some order to it. I also need to figure out how to make the live in the ground!!

• cedemas
    5 years ago

I have about 20 in pots. The rest are in the ground, either in the front or some in the back. I have them staggered--tall ones in the back and shorter ones in front. At this point I am going to have to remove established plants to make room for more!

• K Rod Zone 8
    Original Author
    5 years ago

If you had to pick two or three which are your favorite!!

• cedemas
    5 years ago

Two or three might be impossible. I will tell you what I love and for what reason--

Molineux because of nonstop blooms.

Tess of the D'ubervilles, same reason.

Munstead Wood, divine color and fragrance.

Lady Emma Hamilton, as above.

La Reine, as above,

Louis Phillipe, because he is so heatlhy, has great rebloom, smells and looks great, and does not need to be babied. Perfect Florida rose in every way.

Penelope, because she is so happy.

Marie Pavie, for health, blooms, and scent.

Mrs. B R Cant--she is probably the very best tea for my area. Very strong bush, lovely pink blooms, and a raspberry scent.

Duchesse du Brabant, best smelling tea in my garden.

Crepuscule, very healthy, very cute apricot/orange blooms.

Abraham Darby, bloom machine, and lovely fruity scent.

Five of these are Austins.

I'll have a different answer in a few weeks.

• sabalmatt_tejas
    5 years ago

Takeisha- welcome to the forum! I’m from Dallas, but now live in San Marcos. Like others have wisely said- our brutal sun and high temps will stress the plants until Oct. I’ve had the best luck with young roses in morning sun and keeping them moist during June-Sept

K Rod Zone 8 thanked sabalmatt_tejas
  • cyndita (west coast zone 9)
    5 years ago

I agree - afternoon shade would be best for such young plants in the summer heat - the hot sun will stress them. And, off topic, but I love your raised garden bed in the background!

K Rod Zone 8 thanked cyndita (west coast zone 9)
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    5 years ago

Your raised beds are great! If I may make a suggestion, since roses are such hungry plants, build your soil up with as much organic matter as you can. Hot & humid means rapid exhaustion of inputs, but also means the potential for a very healthy soil life. Your roses will love you for it!

And hey—there are much worse things to be obsessed with in this world! This is such a beautiful, life-giving hobby. :-)

• K Rod Zone 8
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you. ive been working on those its my first hand at gardening we added two hibiscus, bluebells, daylillies, and a miniature red rose i got for mothers day. the petunas actually are doing very well for it to be so hot. i didnt know until after i planted those they probably should be in the shade but they are doing great. for the rose pots I used premium rose soil packaged from a local dealer here in royse city, i added in rotted manure and the mint compost sold by heirloom. I also added bone meal to the soil when i planted it. i do believe that is what brought in the soil mites gosh they are crazy but i was told to leave them be since they want the manure not the live plants.I was going to wait until the one month mark to add in the banana peels and coffee grounds. I also bought the fish emulsion but was told to wait on that. any other suggestions?

i just dont want to stress the roses im nervous lol

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    5 years ago

You’re doing great! Those mites will break down that manure into food for the roses, so they are good. The kind that can hurt your roses will be on the backs of the leaves & in the crooks of the branches, and you just hose them off.

I was a bit nervous when I started too, but another gardener friend told me, “remember, these plants WANT to live and thrive; it’s part of their DNA” and I remind myself of that often. You’ve already got great instincts, so you’re going to do just fine! :-)

K Rod Zone 8 thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    5 years ago

All these organic inputs are fantastic for the soil, and you can cover the top layer of soil with these. I put these kind of things under my mulch, since that helps them break down faster and looks neater. Eggshells are great too!

Fish emulsion is really good too, but is highest in nitrogen (unless it has seaweed blended in) which makes lots of leaves, so I’d only give them that once a month & at half of the recommended solution.

K Rod Zone 8 thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • portlandmysteryrose
    5 years ago

Hi, Takeisha! Welcome to the forum. Like Sabalmatt, I'm from Dallas but have moved to another area. I first moved to Minneapolis (polar opposite climate), and now I live in Portland, OR, but my sister still lives in Dallas and gads do I know Dallas summers! Everyone has already chimed in with all kinds of great advice, but I wanted to chime in with the golden celebration over your new rose acquisitions. Like others above, I adore GC. JeriJen grows a spectacular one in California, and I grew GC at my last garden here in Portland. It is my absolute favorite yellow David Austin. If you haven't considered companions yet, when your GC is mature enough, think about growing some blue morning glories or a purple clematis on a trellis or fence behind it. A lavender, purple or blue large-flowered clematis could use GC itself as a trellis. A swoon-worthy combo! Carol

K Rod Zone 8 thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    5 years ago

Welcome to the wonderful world of rose addiction! I recently infected a good friend with this "affliction" - he is buying as fast as he can and we are having a great time talking roses. I didn't notice anyone mentioned The Impressionist - I grew mine from a tiny band - it is now about ready to plant in the ground - the blooms are just beautiful. Know you will love yours. I keep my potted roses in morning sun/afternoon shade. I am in East Texas and it is as hot as where you live. When they are older, next year, they can stand the sun if they are planted in the ground but I like to baby my new roses through that first summer. If you have time, you would enjoy the Tyler Municipal Rose Garden - and Chamblees Rose Nursery is close by! Good luck!

Judith

• K Rod Zone 8
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Funny you should mention that. We are going to Tyler this weekend for that very reason!! Very excited!!
    5 years ago

I am pretty sure there is a nursery there David Austin. I wish I can go there. If I do, I am getting a UHaul truck.

Jin

5 years ago

David Austin is indeed there! I always pick up my roses there to save on shipping. No display garden, you have to order first, cant just go in and buy them. You order, tell them when you want to pick up. Another great place is Blue Moon Gardens and Hand Nursery. We are going to Canton [huge trade days monthly] and are going by Chamblees tomorrow! Sweltering hot here....not to hot to shop for roses!

Judith

• K Rod Zone 8
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Whaaaaaasatt!!!! OMG

5 years ago

Oh yes, and they sell roses at Canton! $10 each, healthy, very nice - have gotten St. Tropez, Tropical Lightening, Pretty Lady Rose, Vavoom, lots of great varieties. They are very healthy - in 2 gallon pots. We cant wait!!

• K Rod Zone 8
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I thought Canton was the first weekend?? Is it every weekend?
    5 years ago

Canton is first Monday - this time, July 1 comes on Sunday, so its this weekend. There are several plant vendors, 2-3 good rose vendors set up in what's called Dog Alley, where the animals are. I also want more muskovee ducks to add to my pond. We go on Fridays as crowds are not so bad, and selection is good. After we go there, we are hitting Chamblees! Will be a fun day even though we will probably roast.

Judith

5 years ago

Okay, now I am getting jealous. Geezs, I wish I was there or near some nurseries like Cedemas. It is always a long drive for me. Shipping helps to save but I would die for DA and Antique roses.

My savings comes mostly in Fall or near winter. I always look forward to that. That way I can buy more roses.

Judith, you have to post pics if your place esp the pond with ducks in it :)

Love that. I hope you get your ducks :)

Jin

• cedemas
    5 years ago

Jin, it is a mixed blessing. Imagine how much more you would be spending if they were close to you.

• K Rod Zone 8
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The golden celebration has its first open blooms!!

• boncrow66
    5 years ago

You are going to have so much fun in Tyler! If you plan on going to Chamblees rose farm be sure to check out their bargain area, roses for $2.50 up to $5.00. The majority of my roses have been purchased at Chamblees and are healthy roses. Can’t wait to hear all about your trip!

K Rod Zone 8 thanked boncrow66
    5 years ago

Oh, yes pls let us know what you got. I am already turning green...lol.

Yes, Cedemas, Can you magine how much I spend in shipping ? Can I make a monkey face at you with a wink. I wish we had emoji's. But this is also fine :)

K, that is so exciting. In time you will get more and more buds. Enjoy your roses :)

Jin

• cedemas
    5 years ago

Jin, I am not sure where you are. But surely you are closer to "A Reverence for Roses" (Hernando, FL) than I am. They are 68 minutes away from me.

Yes, I hate the cost of shipping. It keeps going up, too, doesn't it?

• cedemas
    5 years ago

K Rod, no fair! I've had Golden Celebration for a long time and I'm still waiting for a bloom. Enjoy your trip to see more roses. I wish we had a $2.50 and $5.00 table of roses here. Where I live the best ever sale price is $7 but I have spent much much more than that on individual roses.

• K Rod Zone 8
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Look who woke up today!!!
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

I too am dying of envy over here, with no rose nursery anywhere near me and not even hours away. I once spent $66 for Jesse Hildreth (with shipping) and the prices mentioned here sound like a wonderful dream. It's just as well, my drought-ridden garden doesn't need more roses, which of course didn't stop me from ordering some (expensive) ones anyway. It's the fault of this forum, I'm too often being "enabled" in buying "just one more".

K Rod, your roses are obviously enjoying the good life, and I'm glad your efforts are being rewarded. My roses would all love to come live with you. Here they have to make do with soil made up of decomposed granite and a few handfuls of soil mix, shoved into a hole that's probably too small.

K Rod Zone 8 thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    5 years ago

For those who haven’t been, I went to Chamblee’s last year , took pics, and documented my visit here:

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/4979469/a-picture-thread-tyler-texas-chamblees-and-municipal-rose-garden#n=17

Oh jeez, Judith, a nicely grown out Peach Swirl for just $5.50?! I just bought a bare root one from Edmunds, shipped from Wisconsin in June, and am gently nursing it out of dormancy in the heat of the TX summer! Had I only known I could have driven to Peach Swirl Nirvana. I might just have to make the drive next Saturday, hopefully they’ll have their flatbeds out. The only reason I don’t go more often is I bring back too many great roses, and then, where will they all go?

You bought live ducks in Canton? That’s cool.

• K Rod Zone 8
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We went to Chamblee’s was so awesome also picked up his custom soil. Should have gotten more. It’s half the price of big stores and you can see the difference. I came out with four roses!!! He’s retiring this year i hope someone buys it and keeps it going!!!

• boncrow66
    5 years ago

Judith sounds like you had a great trip all around, ducks and roses, how cool! I am sad to hear that sale area is gone, I had heard Mark Chamblees was going to retire and sale but I didn’t know when. I hope I can make a trip that way soon before it closes.

K rod, that’s great you got soil and roses! Which roses did you buy?

• K Rod Zone 8
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ok so here is what i came away with from Tyler.

Tropicana $20
    Molineux $20
    Plum Perfect $19
    Broadway my husband calls this the $10 rose because it was unlabeled but mr Chamblee figured it out lol

And five bags of Mr Chamblee’s soil!!!
  • BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    5 years ago

Those are some nice big healthy plants, Takeisha.

K Rod Zone 8 thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • portlandmysteryrose
    5 years ago

Takeisha, score!!! What a great haul from your trip. As a side note, my grandfather and mother both grew Tropicana, so it is a sentimental rose for me. :-) Bravo for you on purchasing soil! Buying soil and amendments is like investing in plumbing and electrical upgrades for your home. No one can see them, but you know they're there doing their jobs and making your garden more livable. Your Golden Celebration is looking wonderful! Carol

Editing to add: Dallas not only boasts that wonderful (not) gummy black clay that you've encountered, parts rest on white rock (hence the name of the natural area "White Rock Lake"). If you hit this, know you are not alone. My parents lived in University Terrace not too far from White Rock Lake and my mother gardened on it for 50 years and all went well. Sometimes Mom had to raise things a bit, and sometimes not, but your plants will let you know. Carol

K Rod Zone 8 thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • boncrow66
    5 years ago

Those are huge and healthy looking!

K Rod Zone 8 thanked boncrow66
    5 years ago

Wow, they are huge size and healthy. Well, I am glad both you and Judith had a great trip. Ducks , soil and roses. Wow, what a great week.

Remember to post them as they deveops.

Judith, how many ducks did you buy ? I would love to see your pond with ducks swimming in it..lol

Jin

K Rod Zone 8 thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • cedemas
    5 years ago

I put about 20 of the to the left of my front door, about 30 of them in front of the house to the right side of the front door, about 12 of them in the side yard in the back, 2 of them on a trellis right next to the street, 5 of them on the fence, and the rest are in very big pots in a narrow patch of sunlight in the side yard. It's absurd how many I have when you consider the fact that my yard, which is mostly backyard, is mostly deep shade. I posted a pic of my backyard on Jin's "Roses for $7 antiques" thread. But I found places to tuck them in just about everywhere else.

In about three years there will be roses everywhere in the front and most of them will still be blooming in the winter. I'll be "that crazy rose lady."

• K Rod Zone 8
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The Impressionist opened its first baby bloom!!!
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

The Impressionist is adorable. I like single and semidouble roses among the fluffy full ones for a change of pace and this one is very pretty with its soft color and ruffled petals. Takeisha, I think in quite a short time you're going to have a very respectable rose garden, and you're already not a newbie with the number of roses you've added and the sophisticated soil mix you're using. It will be fun to see your garden grow.

K Rod Zone 8 thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • lavenderlacezone8
    5 years ago

Welcome Takeisha, and what a wonderful job you are doing already! I just ran across this thread and so enjoyed seeing your progress!

You've already got a lot of really knowledgeable people helping you here but I can also see that you have great natural instincts. Thanks so much for sharing your fun!

• hugogurll
    5 years ago

Sorry to report that's not The Impressionist (very full petaled golden peach pink blend). Could it be The Imposter? But I don't see the freckling in the petal.

• K Rod Zone 8
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Phyllissteen I’m sure it’s not an imposter as it was purchased through David Austin but however it is a baby and takes time to develop its mature features. I’m still very happy with it either way

5 years ago

Mine just bloomed, it didn't look like the pictured rose. I don't think David Austin sells this rose [could be wrong], I got mine from Heirloom. You might check Helpmefind.com and look up The Impressionist and see if yours looks anything like the photos there. It is a lovely rose!

K Rod Zone 8 thanked alameda/zone 8/East Texas
  • K Rod Zone 8
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I will definitely have to look into it and find out!!
  • K Rod Zone 8
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    You guys are right they did send me the wrong rose!!