SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marcy59

Architect Dilemma

Marcy
5 years ago

I have been dissatisfied with the level of communication and service of my architect. While he has been able to give us several designs, I never felt like any really hit the mark. It seemed that if we asked for one revision...it would result in us losing something else important to us. That in itself is not the problem, as I know that renovations often need to be done within the limitations of the space and budget, etc. There is going to be some compromise. My issue has been the lack of and inefficiency of communication. For example, understanding how certain requests may affect other things in the layout may have saved us some time, and the architect some work. In addition, there has been an increasing lack of response to emails. While he would email me at his convenience when it suits him, he often still does not address my inquiries to him.

At this point, I am frustrated and feeling like I want to jump ship and find a new architect to finish our project because I am finding it difficult to deal with. We have construction documents drawn and are planning to start our project this fall and I can't help but have doubts about our plans and whether they are best for us. I have asked my husband to deal with him, but that has not worked well either because of my husband's busy work schedule. There may be more architectural services needed before the project is complete.

Is it acceptable to bring in another architect at this point? I hate to start over for obvious reasons (time and money invested, and we still have to pay him for the final phase), but I would at least like to have a consultation with another architect to explore other options to make me feel comfortable with the final design moving forward and to ensure that they are complete. From a professional perspective how often does this happen and would I be expected to pay for full architectural services with a new architect? Could they use any of the work done by the current architect?

Thanks for you help!

Comments (25)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company