Deep Frying fish.
8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (26)
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
Related Discussions
Fish/seafood frying flour mixture?
Comments (8)When this cajun goes to the fishing camp you can bet something is going into a black cast iron pot. Here's a recipe for fried fish which includes a bit of technique. If you try these please, let me know how they turned out for you. Dan Perfect Cajun Fried Fish Recipe By : Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00 Categories : Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ -------------------------------- 2 cups yellow cornmeal 1 cup corn flour (aka unseasoned fish fry) 1/2 cup cornstarch 2 teaspoons onion powder 1 teaspoon garlic powder 3 teaspoons salt 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper 1/2 teaspoon black pepper 1 pound catfish fillet (smaller size) Mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl until they are thoroughly blended. Then taste the mixture and readjust the seasonings according to your taste. You should be able to taste a hint of each seasoning. Now take the fillets, just wet them with water, not dipped in egg wash, and roll them thoroughly in the coating mix. Do not fry them fry them right away. Let them rest for 3 to 4 minutes so that the coating adheres to the fish. If you fry too soon, the cornstarch won't have the necessary time to bind the mixture and the coating will fall off in the pan as you fry. Also, the cornstarch needs to pick up a bit of water so upon frying it adds a crispy texture to the coating. When ready to fry, pour 2 cups of high quality vegetable oil or peanut oil into a pre-heated skillet (cast iron is best). Then bring the oil temperature up to 350 degrees (for best results use a thermometer). Then drop in the fish, frying them 2 minutes on the flat side (back bone side) and 1 minute on the round side (skin side). Turn again back on the other side and fry another 1 minute. Your fish should be crunchy and crispy in 4 minutes when fried as I've directed above. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -...See MoreOrganizing Family Fish-Fry..Ideas Please...
Comments (4)Hi, we have had several family fishfrys. We usually have anywhere from 75-100 or more there. We do the fish and I make the bakedbeans. Mom used to make creekbank pots. We had 2 5gal buckets, one with tea and one with lemoade. But now we just tell people to bring drinks(2 liters) and we have one of those big coffee pots also. That's usually a must. But we hold ours in and air cond. building. One yr. we had kareoke(sp). I buy the paper plates( the 4 section ones from the $$ store)and the forks,spoons and cups and napkins. I ask the other people who are coming to either bring a veg. or desert. I also get bread and tartar sauce(but you could ask someone to bring these things). We usually have ours in oct. So one yr. i had gourds and made little fall votives for the tables. Alot of the guest took home the decorations. When we dececide to have one i start getting things early. You can get most things at the $$ store. I also got fall plastic table clothes at a party place or wal-mart. I hope this helps. I hope your mom really enjoys the day.......See MoreHow to Fish & Chips?
Comments (23)My husband adores fish tacos, so that's what I make more often than fish and chips - but this batter works for either. For the chips part I like to use unpeeled red potatoes cut into wedges, coated in a little olive oil and then baked at 425F for 45 minutes, turning at 25 minutes. Becky * Exported from MasterCook * Fish Tacos Recipe By : Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00 Categories : Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ -------------------------------- Batter: 1 cup all-purpose flour 2 tablespoons cornstarch 1 teaspoon baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 egg 1 cup beer Sauce: 1/2 cup plain yogurt 1/2 cup mayonnaise 1 lime -- juiced 1 jalapeno pepper -- minced 1 teaspoon minced capers 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper 1 quart oil for frying 1 pound cod fillets -- cut into 2 ounce portions -- (2 to 3) 1 package corn tortillas -- (12 ounce) 1/2 medium head cabbage finely shredded Directions 1 To make beer batter: In a large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Blend egg and beer, then quickly stir into the flour mixture (don't worry about a few lumps). 2 To make white sauce: In a medium bowl, mix together yogurt and mayonnaise. Gradually stir in fresh lime juice until consistency is slightly runny. Season with jalapeno, capers, oregano, cumin, dill, and cayenne. 3 Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). 4 Dust fish pieces lightly with flour. Dip into beer batter, and fry until crisp and golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Lightly fry tortillas; not too crisp. To serve, place fried fish in a tortilla, and top with shredded cabbage, and white sauce. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - * Exported from MasterCook * Tartar Sauce 1 Recipe By : Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00 Categories : Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ -------------------------------- 1 cup mayonnaise 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish 1 tablespoon minced onion (or onion powder) 2 tablespoons lemon juice (optional) salt and pepper to taste 1. In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish, and minced onion. Stir in lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -...See MoreHow do you deep fry?
Comments (15)I don't remember the brand I have but it's one of the countertop stainless steel units with the element directly in the oil. It works well once I learned to use it. My problem was it has a timer on it that shuts it off after a while and I didn't notice it shut down so it would cool off. Once solved, I like it. I don't use it often. I get an occasional craving (usually State Fair time) for fresh-cut fries, jo-jos and similar. There is a smell in the house from deep frying so I have decided I'll bring it out in the garage or on the patio next time. I also don't use it in the winter for this reason no matter how big the craving although I did open the window and put a fan blowing out a couple times! I usually use peanut oil or vegetable oil. I taste no peanuts in the peanut oil I buy. Don't taste any vegetables in the vegetable oil I buy either! It does use quite a bit so it's a spendy proposition. I do filter it with coffee filters. I would NEVER use paper towels with the stuff that's in them. Yes I'll drain food on them so it could be contradictory but it's one of my little quirks. Plus I remember when a friend ran out of coffee filters and used a paper towel to make coffee at the lake one time. WOW was that an awful taste! He didn't realize you don't HAVE to use a filter in a percolator. After that experience I won't even think about straining oil with it. A couple hundred coffee filters for $1 is not a big expenditure if you do any frying. They can be used for other things too. With the deep fryer, I don't mess with a thermometer although I think I probably have one that'll work. I might just use the electric frypan for any deep frying I want to do now for the most part or get my fry fix at a bar!...See More- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Stories

DECORATING GUIDESDesigning Nemo: 30 Fish Tanks Make a Decorative Splash
Bring an otherworldly glow and a calming vibe to your home with the living art of an aquarium
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSHouzz Tour: Weekend Fishing Cabin Rises in New Zealand
A designer helps university professors create a year-round country haven on the grounds of a former church
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: A Deep Blue Bedroom Dream
Make your sleeping space as enchanting as a starry sky with abundant navy and touches of shine
Full Story
VACATION HOMESHouzz Tour: Family Fishing Retreat High in the Colorado Mountains
The timber home designed for 3 generations opens up to panoramic views of the scenic landscape
Full Story
BEFORE AND AFTERSHouzz Tour: Architect Turns a Fishing Shack Into a Cozy Getaway
Scandinavian minimalism and a U.S. Forest Service cabin inspire this renovation near a Montana lake
Full Story
GARDENING AND LANDSCAPINGHow to Make a Pond
You can make an outdoor fish paradise of your own, for less than you might think. But you'll need this expert design wisdom
Full Story
ARCHITECTUREStates of Style: Alabama’s Icons Leave Their Mark
In the first of a new series, discover the natural beauty, the architectural icons and some of our favorite homes deep in the heart of Dixie
Full Story
TRAVEL BY DESIGNTravel Guide: Austin, Texas, for Design Lovers
You'll find fantastic food along with incredible art and architecture in this capital city, deep in the heart of Texas
Full Story
WINDOWSArchitect's Toolbox: 3 Window Details That Wow
Elicit oohs and ahs when you make over your windows with low sills, tall heads and deep reveals
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESBackyard Birds: Healthy Home Habitats for Northern Flickers
These colorful woodpeckers found across the U.S. and Canada love berries, seeds and ants and often nest in deep burrows in trees
Full Story
seagrass_gw Cape Cod