SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smolnar

"Rules" for Accent Walls?

Sue
5 years ago

Before I paint my whole interior, I'd love to get some basic guidelines for adding accent walls (using paint). One concern I have is knowing at what point the number of accent walls in a 1,800sf, 2-story house becomes "too many." Another concern is what sheen to use for a dark accent wall that is in a sunny room with west-facing windows (the accent wall is perpendicular to the window wall).

Being a 3-story condo, the stairwell up from the door to the main living level is pretty narrow and dark. One of that stairwell's walls ends at the top of the stairs, while the other wall continues in and becomes one of the living room walls. Since my decor is in beachy colors (aquas, blues, whites, with a touch of coral) I was thinking of making the stairwell wall that ends at the top an accent wall in a pretty aqua (Valspar Mystic Sea (5007-7A) which would brighten up the space. I also thought I might paint one wall or all walls of the second staircase (going to the bedroom level) in that same aqua.

Finally, I plan to use a lighter version of my main beigy color in the Master Bedroom and Bath (Valspar Riviera Dune (2008-10C) , and have decided on an accent wall color in the Master Bedroom of Valspar Egyption Blue (4011-7), because my curtains and bedding are in a large-scale deep blue, aqua, and grayish-tan Ikat paisley pattern on a white background.

If it helps to understand the space, we moved into a new, 2-story condo at the beach. The color throughout most rooms will be Valspar Desert Fortress (2008-10B) with white trim. It is a warm taupe/beige with no yellow or green undertones.

I've attached some snapshots. One shows the entry stairwell where I'm thinking of having an accent wall. Another shows the stairwell going from the main level to the bedroom level, where I'm also thinking of painting an accent wall or painting the whole stairwell as an "accent." The third shows the bedroom with a sample of the blue paint. The pillow on the bed is the bedding and curtain fabric that will be used in the room. The fourth shows color swatches of the colors discussed here. Please note that we're mid-renovation, so everything is a mess.

Hoping to get some PRO opinions on effective use of accent walls.

Thanks!

PICTURE 1 - MASTER BEDROOM: The blue test swatch right above the center of the headboard is the blue I want to use for this accent wall. The pattern on the pillow will be used for both bedding and for curtains at either side of the slider window you see to the left of the bed. The color swatch farthest right on top is the color I'll use on the other walls in both the bedroom and master bath.

PICTURE 2 - STAIRWELL FROM LIVING AREA UP TO BEDROOM AREA. I'm thinking of painting the stairwell walls in a light aqua.

PICTURE 3 - ENTRY STAIRWELL. I'm thinking of painting the wall on the right in a light aqua.

PICTURE 4 - COLOR SWATCHES

Comments (25)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I agree when posts get to be books you lose some of us for. I think accent walls are best left until all the walls are painted one color then add your art, furniture , rugs etc then decide if you really need any accent walls at all. Some better lighting in the stiarwell would be a much bettr use for money I would do the Riviera Dune for the whole house not the Desrt Fortress which to be is just a beige blah color especially with a beach theme.

Sue thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Related Discussions

Accent Wall -- Is there a rule to follow?

Q

Comments (7)
    Thanks all! Love the input! Well, since I don't really feel like that confident about my choices, I think I will follow your suggestions and stay with one color. I brought home yet another gray -- Natural Gray by Behr. It's a great gray ... still not sure it's for me. If nothing else, all these samples will just confirm that the very first color I chose, BM Edgecomb Gray, may be the one. I keep going back to that one. I love the grays in all your rooms with painted trim, but still not convinced I'd be happy with it with my oak trim. My family and friends probably think I'm absolutely nuts! Don't know why it's so hard for me to make a decision, but it just is! Hope I can pull of something similar to that inspiration pic even if I don't go with gray walls. What do you think? Thanks for the input -- I totally trust your feedback! :-)
    ...See More

Living room Wall color - accent or no accent?

Q

Comments (2)
    You have options! An accent wall can be a great way to accentuate interesting architectural features. Pulling the dark smoky blue from your dining room onto the living room wall furthest from the dining room would help blend the spaces while balancing the visual weight of the saturated color. Painting the wall adjacent to the dining room in that color might create a density on that side of your blended spaces. The alternative would be to pull that blue in in accessories. Best of luck with your project!
    ...See More

Accent paint Accent wall

Q

Comments (2)
    There is more to choosing (or not) an accent wall. What is it about the wall which distinguishes it from the other three? Where is it located in the room? Dark colors recede; light colors advance. What is will be on the wall or in front of it? How is the lighting in the room?
    ...See More

Show me shower accent wall or accent stripe that is not mosaic sheets

Q

Comments (4)
    I saw a shower where one entire wall was the fancy patterned tile and the other 3 walls were plain. I think it was posted by Beth H? Maybe she will post that again. It wasn't a strip, it was one of the end walls (skinnier) of a shower.
    ...See More
  • Sue
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Jan and Patricia. Patricia, yes, I agree, better lighting is needed in that dark stairwell and I have purchased new lighting. Can't install it until all the reno is completed because of all the workers and materials coming in and out through that entry. I'm going to paint the master bedroom first and that will be the Riviera Dune. Once that's complete, I can see if I'd rather do the rest of the house in that same color or the darker Desert Fortress. Again, thanks.

• Molly
    5 years ago
    Pretty bed and bedding!
    Sue thanked Molly
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 years ago

Blu color is pretty.

Sue thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • Sue
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Celerygirl, how did you get the blue color on the wall in the photo? What program did you use? Thanks!

• housegal200
    5 years ago

Keep almost all the walls the same neutral color to connect and add flow to your rooms. If you need color, paint the inside of your front door a great color.

My Houzz: A Bland Condo Gets Color and Personality · More Info

If you must have an accent wall, then the one in the bedroom can be accented and that's it!

Sue thanked housegal200
  • Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

i think accent walls look best when they are symmetric. your bedroom would end up with the (lovely) blue having an arm and leg off over and beyond the door. how about just doing a wide band of blue on the wall, the width of the bed, and having the rest of that wall the color of the other walls. kind of like this

Kingman Place · More Info

Sue thanked Judy Mishkin
  • Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

as far as how many? maximum is 1.

Sue thanked Judy Mishkin
  • leelee
    5 years ago

No accent walls.

The bed looks like it wants to move to another wall or turn itself around. Is there a better place? It is such a pretty bed but looks awkward there.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago

The answer is in the name itself "accent wall" also known as "feature wall"

What are you going to "accent" or "feature"?

Is it worthy of accenting or featuring? Why do you want to accent, feature, call attention to it with color?

You need a good reason to accent, feature, call attention to a wall in room. You need a good reason whenever you transition color in a space or room.

If it's an open floor plan, more than one "accent wall" evolves into color blocking. We color block to identify zones of function in the space so the big, open space is easier to understand and navigate - think of it as color-coding for your brain so it doesn't have to work to decipher and figure out what to do or think in one big open space.

Accent walls or feature walls should have that same function. What's it telling us to look at? What's it decoding for us to process first and prominently in that room?

The wall behind the bed is a good reason because the bed with beautiful bedding and pillows is often the focal point of the room.

A fireplace is a good reason if you want your gorgeous stone fireplace to be a focal point.

Painting a the wall at the end of a long hallway a different "accent" color can help with wayfinding and visual ergonomics, it will help shore it up so it doesn't feel like a bowling alley.

If you have an interesting collection of art pieces that you want to feature, that's a good reason for a feature wall.

Too many accent or feature walls dilutes the point of accenting or featuring; if you have too many, then none of them are special.

Accent/feature walls are fine as long as you have your "why" locked down.

Sue thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • Sue
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Leelee, I can understand why you think that! The room is in mid-renovation and the bed in this photo is pulled away from the wall about 18". A nightstand next to the bed (on the left) is turned sideways and pushed up against the old curtains. But to answer your question, yes, this is the only wall on which the bed can be placed. The other side of the room is reserved for my desk so I can see the ocean view from there. I know most people want to see the ocean from their bed, but I never sit in bed looking out the window, and I DO sit at my desk (often for hours).

• Sue
    Original Author
    5 years ago

ninigret, I like that idea of defining the bed with the accent color rather than the whole wall! You say max. # of accent walls is 1. Is that 1 per room max, or 1 per house max?

• Sue
    Original Author
    5 years ago

housegal200, Nice idea, especially for that narrow entryway door! Thanks!

• Sue
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Patricia Colwell Consulting. Regarding the "book," I read lots of other posts first and found that responders frequently complained that they couldn't comment without having sufficient information to understand the space (even with photos). Therefore, I tried to give that info in the post instead of making people ask for more.

• Sue
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Does anybody have an opinion on the appropriate sheen for a dark color accent wall like the blue wall in the bedroom? Can I use flat for the dark blue (to keep it from washing out due to sunshine bouncing off it from the west-facing wall of sliders) and eggshell sheen on the rest of the walls?

• loobab
    5 years ago

Hi Sue-

What else do you have in that room?

Can you upload a photo of the rest of the room?

• Sue
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I can't upload a useful photo,because currently the other end of the room is stacked with boxes we can't unpack until the reno is completed. I can tell you the west wall (left of the bed in the picture) is almost all windows (3 large, floor to almost ceiling slider panes) that will be flanked by one curtain panel on each side in the same fabric as that pillow on the bed on wood rods the same color as the bed. The wall opposite the bed will have an off-white desk with my laptop, a large monitor, a desk chair, and some type of storage cabinet. There is crown moldings and baseboards in white, and the ceiling is vaulted. I have a small, capiz-like (glass) chandelier hanging in the center of the room. You can see the Gulf of Mexico from the desk.

• loobab
    5 years ago

Will your curtains stay the white that is there now?

Is your bedding white or the dark blue of those pillowcases?

What will be the blue green print of the one pillow?

• Sue
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Curtains will be the paisley ikat that you see on the flanged pillow on the bed (there will be two of the pillows). Duvet cover is off white-on-white, very small small leaf print. The bottom third of the bed will have a throw in same ikat paisley as curtains & pillows.
  • decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

My "rule" about accent walls is that they should be walls that have no redeeming architectural features and are not pierced by doors, windows, pass-through openings, etc. I make an exception for fireplace walls, as long as the only feature there is the fireplace itself, and bedroom walls where the only feature will be the focal bed and bedside tables. If there are windows or doors on that same wall I would forgo any accent color.

• Elle
    5 years ago
    I would do your entire bedroom in matte, including the accent wall. Matte is in between flat and eggshell. It's a really nice restful sheen that reduces glare- we have used it everywhere in our home that is reasonably low traffic.

I like your idea of the bedroom accent wall (with the suggested modification. I don't like your idea of the staircase wall. It's going to be weird when you're walking through a hallway and each side is a different color. I would pick an end of the staircase instead.

And I also agree you should go with the lighter color throughout- your selection is much more modern,
    beachy, and bright. That tan is old fashioned and dark. We painted over the exact color in our lakeside home when we moved in and you wouldn't believe how much bigger the space felt after.
    Sue thanked Elle
  • User
    5 years ago

I would recommend keeping with one color in the main areas and saving the accent walls for the bedrooms. I believed flats were for the ceilings, eggshell for the walls, semi gloss for the trim and satins for the cabinets and doors as far as paint sheens go.

Sue thanked User
  • loobab
    5 years ago

Hi Sue-

Thanks for explaining.

Do you already have your ikat print curtains?

I am wondering if with the print curtains if the blue wall will be a bit too intense, or make the space seem too small.

Can you put up the ikat curtains and then may be a Houzzer can Photoshop in the blue walls for you so you can see the two together?

I do love the color palette and the vintage bed, it brings to mind a lovely home on the shore.

• Sue
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Loobab, thanks, I love the bed, too - kind of gives a British-Colonial vibe. Yes, I already have the curtains, but I can't put them up until reno is finished (too much dust & dirt). I'm hoping the white background of the print and the white duvet will keep the print from overwhelming the space. But it's a great idea to get those up before painting and Photoshop in the color!