SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soon2bbarker

Exterior Renovation Ideas, 1950s Ranch with Two Entrances

Nancy
5 years ago

Hello everyone. We are embarking on our first renovation ever and we are so excited and also very unsure of what we want. We love our ranch house but would love to add something to the rectangle look. I am sorry this is going to be long and I appreciate you reading through it.

We have a 1950s brick ranch with two front entrances. The one farthest to the left, which looks like the main door, is actually one we don’t use at all. We can’t get rid of this entrance because of building codes so that is not an option. Our main entrance is to the right, right next to the driveway. Currently that entrance area is like a cave. It is 11 feet back from the front of the rest of the house so we are bringing it out (not sure how far yet, hoping for some suggestions) and somehow build it so it will clearly state that this is the entry into the house not the other door.

We are not adding a second story but will be putting an addition on the back, but that will be in another post. We also will not be painting the brick nor covering it (board and batten, siding), but we are looking into staining the brick and would love to hear anyone’s experience with that. All of the eaves troughs, downspouts etc. will be painted, we just don’t know what color. Also we will be reshingling (no metal) the roof as well so need suggestions.

The big 5 pane picture window is being replaced with a lovely 3 pane transom window and the others windows are new. We will be replacing both doors but need suggestions on colors and styles. Should we also add shutters and if so, what type/color? I will be talking the hubby into window flower boxes.

We have been thinking about porches and porticos and gables but just not sure what would not destroy the appearance of the house. We will be doing some nice landscaping and such to clean up the vegetation and the lilac tree so we are looking more for suggestions for the structure of the house etc.

I apologize for the small picture, but it is just to give an idea of the garage side of the house (where the entrance we use is) and I have added a close up of the brick so you can see the color. It is what I call yoreige (mix of yellow, orange and beige).

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Comments (7)