SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daylilly99

I give up. I'm out of here.

Pat
5 years ago

I'm very thankful for all the wonderful trades I made (mostly years back) through the Plant Exchange Forum but I just can't work with this site any more.

I've been using National Gardening Association's website for a couple of years now and highly recommend it (garden.org).

Please join me there if you are as frustrated with this site as I am.

Comments (12)

• mantis__oh
    5 years ago

It seems to me that Houzz should not have difficulty replicating the problems experienced by us. So is there no solution? I doubt that. But there may not be the competence or interest in providing a solution.

NGA is a useful site, but the format does not encourage interaction. By the time one sees a post, there often are a half dozen intervening ones.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    5 years ago

No thanks, I enjoy the interaction here.

Sherry

• celeste/NH
    5 years ago

I will be sad and upset if my forum friends leave but I understand your frustration. Sorry that you are leaving. I still want to believe things will get 'fixed' eventually so I'm hanging in there and hope others will too. I was on the roses & antique roses forum before I came here so it's been about 16 years for me on GW and I love the interaction we have here in this forum more than any other. I lurk once in a while on the NGA forum but just haven't been able to 'get into it' and have never posted. I see some of you posting on there but I prefer this one. This one is more intimate to me and as mantis states, more interactive. I have no daylilies blooming yet but I still come here daily and admire the creative ways you all have put up your photos. If that is what I'll have to do, then I'll do it!

• shive
    5 years ago

I post on NGA, and previously on All Things Plants. But this is where my heart is. I've been posting on GW since the 1990s, so it's pretty much an ingrained habit for me. I do hope things improve with the new software. I'm not having as much trouble posting, as I previously was.

• David (N.E. Georgia, zone 8a)
    5 years ago

I was having problems after the changes to this site. I found that if I switched my browser from IE 11 to Edge my problems went away.

• David (N.E. Georgia, zone 8a)
    5 years ago

Oops I spoke too soon. I just tried to post a pic and can't.

• Julia WV (6b)
    5 years ago

I can post using my Mac via Safari. I haven't tried my PC with Windows 10(latest updates) via Firefox. I'm wondering if there is a common thread among members who have difficulty. For instance are you using Windows what version or Mac, browser and version are you using, ie IE, Firefox, Safari, Edge, etc.

• shive
    5 years ago

Julia - My operating system is updated to Windows 10, and I use Google Chrome as my browser. That's the browser the Houzz tech people say is most compatible with the site. I've had pretty good luck with picture posts over the past week or so.

Debra

• Nancy 6b
    5 years ago

I have not been having "much" trouble with Windows 10 and Firefox, but it still hangs up occasionally. I will try Google Chrome next time I post.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    5 years ago

You all are so sophisticated. The only thing I know is I have Windows 7 and AOL Google. What version does AOL use? I have no way of telling that I know. If Houzz is updating so only Windows 10 people can use it, I'll be finished on Houzz. I'll be the one turning off the lights in the building when Microsoft stops supporting it in 2020............Maryl

• mantis__oh
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

NGA has many good features. Periodically, a plant is posted for evaluation, and people are generally frank. Of course, there are certain hybridizers on the site, so one treads gingerly with their plants. (Some have such national reputation though, they can easily withstand some reservations expressed about particular cultivars.) The NGA database is very valuable, with lots of photos of each plant.

The biggest problem I have is that all the pics on the forum go under a monthly heading, such as "June Blooms." There is a swift progression from one poster to another, so there isn't much room for comment, and generally people just post pics without comment. Long headings are also viewer-unfriendly when a few people dominate or the post gets cluttered with idle chatter. Pictures are also smaller and really need clicking for clarity of detail.