SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimmycoo99

HELP WITH LIVING ROOM layout and design!

Kimberly Walter
5 years ago

I decided my summer project would be to improve the look and functionality of my entire house, starting with the living room. It's an open-concept living room/kitchen design and it's practically empty. I would like to decorate, furnish, and create a better layout. But it's not as easy as I thought. Here are some of the issues I'm facing:

1. I don't like the look of the fish tank, it's big and bulky and it's an eyesore, but my fiance loves his African Cichlids... One of the filters would not fit inside the cabinet of the tank and I'm having a hard time trying to think of ways to hide it.
  2. We have long white cables running across the floor in front of the fireplace and along the sides of the walls that need to be concealed/covered. Hopefully this issue will be resolved soon but for now I'd like to make them less noticeable.
  3. We have a new leather couch that's an intense dark brown, almost black color, and the cabinet the fish tank is on is black. So I'm trying to find furniture to compliment those colors.
  4. Since it's an open-concept living room/kitchen, the "themes" should compliment each other. I don't have a theme for either so I'm open to suggestions!

There's an old couch and cabinet that I'm getting rid of and are scribbled out in the photos. The two tables next to the fish tank are also going.
Take a look and let me know what you think, I'm open to all ideas and suggestions! Thanks

View of the fireplace and back porch doors

View of the bar and breakfast nook

View of the kitchen and bar

The main entryway, to the left is the hallway

Let me know what you think! :)

Comments (27)