SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lakotawolf

Graft Failure on Fruit Trees?

lakotawolf
5 years ago

I live in Southern California (zone 10).

I have made several purchases of bare-root fruit trees over the years from an online nursery. My earliest was a two-in-one pear tree in March of 2015. Since then, I've purchased several others from the same company. Each of the trees in my purchases were planted promptly, in the same manner, in the same container types (large resin whiskey barrels), with the same soil/mulch composition. So basically, all of my trees get the same treatment/sun/etc.

In August of 2016, I purchased two peach trees (an "Early White Giant Peach Dwarf Supreme" and a "Blushingstar Peach Dwarf Supreme"). In September of 2017, I purchased two plum trees (a "Bubblegum Plum Dwarf Supreme" and a "Custom Graft 2-N-1 Shiro/Redheart").

As of this writing, the Bubblegum Dwarf Supreme plum tree and the two peach trees have never sprouted a single leaf. They have, however, put up many, many suckers and watersprouts (especially the plum tree), which I promptly remove as soon as I notice them. But no leaves/shoots/growths have ever appeared above the graft line on these three trees.

As a comparison, all of the other bare-root trees in these two separate orders (including an apple, a cherry, a fig, and the other plum tree) have all put out copious leaves/growth. The apple tree is even producing apples right now, even though I'm in the "wrong" hardiness zone for apples!

But the two peach tree seedlings and the Bubblegum plum tree seedling have never produced anything except watersprouts and suckers below the graft line. I have fertilized all my trees regularly and care for all of them in the same manner; nothing I do seems to encourage these three trees to grow. They're still sitting in their pots looking as bare and leafless as the day I got them. I can share some photos if it'd help.

Is this evidence of graft failure? Is there anything I can try doing for these three trees, or should I remove them and start over?

Comment (1)