Propane BBQ problem

gtrshop

I have 2 brand new, filled tanks for my Vermont castings outdoor BBQ. I know there is ample gas in the tanks, jsut to eliminate that as a problem.

Every time I light the BBQ, the flame is really low despite having the control at Max. As soon as I open the 2nd burner the flame nearly disappears.

If I shut the burner valves, turn the tank valve off, and disconnect the regulator from the tank...then reconnect, the BBQ works great.

Any thoughts?

SaveComment9Like
Comments (9)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
George Cole

Sounds like your valves get stuck. As a quick fix try turning the propane off at the tank after each use.

Save    
gtrshop

I don't leave the propane tank open. Ever.

Save    
Steve J

Or a bad pressure regulator...or a leak somewhere.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/gas-grill-regulator-troubleshooting-84341.html

1 Like Save    
gtrshop

By process of elimination I was coming to that conclusion. Thank you :)

Save    
Sherry

The new regulators MUST be opened VERY slow. If you don't it cuts the gas down to a trickle. There is nothing wrong with the regulator. Turn off, then open very slow. until fully open.

Save    
gtrshop

I replaced the regulator/hose assembly and the BBQ is working properly now. I always turned the tank off after use, the old regulator and hose was ancient, all good now.

Save    
Steve J

Hooray! Thanks for the update! Now go grill something. :)

Save    
Sherry

Great! I just wanted to pass along about the new regulators. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting gas to my new (at that time) Camp Chef stove until I went back and checked the book.

Save    
breenthumb

This is just what I needed. Weeks ago we ran out of gas with food on the grill. Went out for a replacement and it's been a trickle ever since. Must have opened the regulator too fast. Thank you all for this helpful thread. Gotta love GW!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Remodeling Guides The Hidden Problems in Old Houses
Before snatching up an old home, get to know what you’re in for by understanding the potential horrors that lurk below the surface
Full Story
Inside Houzz There’s a Party in the Backyard, Says a Houzz Landscaping Survey
Entertaining, growing edibles and solving problems are goals for homeowners planning to revamp their yards
Full Story
Decorating Guides From Queasy Colors to Killer Tables: Your Worst Decorating Mistakes
Houzzers spill the beans about buying blunders, painting problems and DIY disasters
Full Story