SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_40430536

Dumb question...

User
5 years ago

Regarding the Mexican families in cages that’s been on the daily news.

Are these people undocumented families who already set up a life here and were captured by the police or are they families caught crossing the boarder and immediately put in cages? And how long do they have to remain in cages? (Personally I find this cruel and unusual but some say it’s better than the life they will return to?)

For the families who just got caught crossing the boarder illegally, can’t we turn them around and send them back or is there a law once they hit American soil?

The news isn’t doing a good job of explaining this to me.

Comments (190)

• User
    5 years ago

It's so easy to get caught up in the frenzy of emotions surrounding this issue. Please don't miss that there are stories, pictures and media trying to stir up that frenzy of emotion.

FACTS don't lie! Trump chose to have children separated from their families.

User thanked User
  • phoggie
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Go to the Department of Homeland Security website and read the Myths and Facts for yourself....so many untruths are being posted on this subject based on emotions instead of facts!

User thanked phoggie
  • Related Discussions

Dumb question about hoses

Q

Comments (29)
    Gee, IMO, uncoupling the hoses and then dragging them around would be even MORE work! I'd rather just put a little more oomph into pulling them all together. But then again, I guess I cheat a bit. I pull the hoses out, drag them where I need them, and just leave them wherever I finish. Why put it back if I only have to drag it out again? Sometimes it does get pulled back and coiled by whoever is mowing the lawn, but then I just pull it out again and leave it. I do have to pull it from one area to the other, but all my gardening areas are far from the house, so I never drag the hose back to the house area; I just leave it near the last bed I was watering. I just make sure to check that no connections are laying in the driveway. DH once drove over a connnection and ruined two hoses in one instant. Dee
    ...See More

can a young dumb lurker ask a dumb question

Q

Comments (16)
    Most self-rising flours sold in the south have the salt. I find some our here in the west don't. Personally, I prefer it with the salt, but that's probably because it's what I grew up on. And that was not a dumb question at all! (Actually, the only two dumb questions I've ever heard were my sister asking me once "Where do you keep your ice?" and once at the restaurant when a cook had stuck a knife all the way into his hand, one of the managers asked, "Are you hurt?" THOSE were dumb questions. LOL!)
    ...See More

Excuse me for a dumb question,

Q

Comments (9)
    since it covers about half of my 5 acres ... i dont know why anyone would plant it ... when the kids were younger.. and barefoot all summer ... they had these burn like sores better their toes .. from running thru the flower stalks .. took me a while to figure that out ... so im out the in july and august mowing a completely browned out lawn [questionable term there] .. kicking up a dust storm.. just to cut the stalks off this nightmare plant .. the upside is.. they are the only thing green that time of year.. so it looked like i had a lawn .. people will pay money for anything.. i swear .. lol .. i bought one once at a plant auction.. is was variegated.. lol .. it was a donation to a cause.. so we all got a laugh out of buy a variegated weed ... so.. if you cost was to the church.. thats ok with me ... but if it was to the benefit of the seller.. well ... that peep might never be my garden friend ... as to the hosta reference above .. that was an idiot rogue name for hosta .. only surpassed by calling it a lily ... as much as i loathe the nomenclature peeps for changing the names of my favorite plants ... in this case.. i understand why it need be done at times ... ken
    ...See More

Ok, dumb question about blenders

Q

Comments (6)
    I agree: probably from years of wear and tear. I will never own a blender with a plastic carafe. I don't know why, but every one I've ever owned is glass. I shouldn't say "every one" because in 40 years I've owned exactly 2 and that's because I broke the carafe on the first one when I dropped it.... ;) Yeah, plastic is better in those cases. But most brands do have replacement parts. Look your up and you'll probably find a new one.
    ...See More
  • mayflowers
    5 years ago

The EO does not reunite families already separated. It's not over yet.

User thanked mayflowers
  • phoggie
    5 years ago

On October 26, 2006, U.S. President George W. Bush signed the Secure Fence Act of 2006 (Pub.L. 109–367) into law stating, “This bill will help protect the American people. This bill will make our borders more secure. It is an important step toward immigration reform." Too bad this has not been enforced before now...it has been law for 12 years, then maybe we would not be in such a mess when it is finally enforced!

User thanked phoggie
  • Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

So while the sad excuse for a President blames the Democrats for the ridiculous situation he's now "fixed", I thank phoggie for this citation. The 109th Congress had Republican majorities in both the House and Senate.

There are plenty of other things to blame the Dems for.

Phoggie and others who seem to support Trump, have you seen the series of articles and columns in the Washington Post and other papers that discuss the increasing frequency and nature of deliberate lies from the White House and other parts of the executive branch? For those of you who consider yourself to have a strong religious influence in your lives, as well as the many others who don't, doesn't this offend you?

User thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • phoggie
    5 years ago

Yes, Elmer, it does....as it does the lies that come from the Dems. As you said, there is enough blame to go around for everyone....and I find that sad.

I am not so much a “Trump supporter” as I am an American supporter. I have respect for the office of President and want our great country to succeed...”united, we stand...divided, we fall.”...and I find it extremely upsetting that anyone would want that to happen to this wonderful country! We should be extremely thankful that we are citizens of the USA!

User thanked phoggie
  • User
    5 years ago

Go to the Department of Homeland Security website and read the Myths and Facts for yourself....so many untruths are being posted on this subject based on emotions instead of facts!

That's propaganda.

Trump's administration changed their story on migrant family separation no fewer than FOURTEEN times in one week! From their own mouths: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI9R_b0aztE&feature=player_embedded

User thanked User
  • User
    5 years ago

The EO does not reunite families already separated. It's not over yet.

Not by a long shot!

User thanked User
  • Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

Here's one of today's lies from Trump, phoggie's good info says so:

"Democrats can fix their forced family breakup at the Border by working with Republicans on new legislation, for a change!"

(EDIT - NO, THIS QUOTE WAS FROM LAST WEEK. MY MISTAKE)

I'll go back to respecting the presidency when we have someone in the office who isn't so stupid AND offensive to everyone's sensibilities. For now, no.

As for being "extremely thankful", to be a US citizen, I'll say mostly No. I'm glad I wasn't born into poverty in a third world country but otherwise, any of the other developed countries would suit me (and would suit most of you) just fine. The US is ordinary/normal and not necessarily exceptional in most respects when compared to many other countries.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

The parents brought the children into the US. But who the heck ripped those infants from the breast and led them away from the only people they know, put them in a chain link cage and left them to suffer fear and God only know what. For crying out loud..think if this was you and your child. THE CHILDREN ARE INNOCENT. Right now those kids are crying they are terrified and they will never heal from what OUR good country has done to them... and why.

User thanked mamapinky0
  • User
    5 years ago

Why? Because white nationalist Stephen Miller and racist Jeff Sessions said so.

User thanked User
  • mamapinky0
    5 years ago

My 10 year old ask me if he can call the POTUS tomorrow. ..I told him I don't have a phone number...he said he does.

User thanked mamapinky0
  • mamapinky0
    5 years ago

I changed the subject..he came at me again with grandma you told me if I am ever unsafe to call the cops and I would never get in trouble for calling for help so I'm going to call for help for those kids

User thanked mamapinky0
  • mamapinky0
    5 years ago

I have a bad feeling. This kid won't turn back. Hes not going to pretend he hasnt heard about this. Hes my quiet shy boy but injustice opens his mouth. Of course he will never speak to trump but someone will aanswer that phone.

User thanked mamapinky0
  • User
    5 years ago

In Nov, I will be voting. FOR Trump when that particular Nov. is here to vote for president. I vote republican as I am a conservative and believe in conservative values and ideals. One thing that is deplorable to me is a bleeding heart liberal that talks about all the poor humans of other countries but they would not lift a hand to help the people in this country and I bet they neither give of their time or monies to help poor people in this country. Sickening.

User thanked User
  • User
    5 years ago

Good lord.

User thanked User
  • sushipup1
    5 years ago

I vote republican as I am a conservative and believe in conservative values and ideals.

Too bad that the President doesn't believe in those values.

User thanked sushipup1
  • bleusblue2
    5 years ago

Dear Thistledew -- maybe it's the wine I had with dinner but I honestly, truly am feeling so sorry, I don't know why you would say that nobody but the Republican Party and Trump care about the people of this country. We are all in this together. This boat can sink. The party now running this country has no more sympathy or care for you or me or the poor or the workers or anybody in the USA than the REST OF US. We, who are not Republicans, who dislike the vulgarity of the sitting president -- please don't deny it. He is a vulgar person but his supporters say they don't care because it's Trump, and only Trump and only Trump who CARES about what happens to American. That isn't true. We all care. We are all trying. The man you would vote for is turning us against each other. I don't feel ironic at all to say that this is very very sad.

User thanked bleusblue2
  • Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

It's important to be careful what you tell little kids. And how you tell them. They don't have the experience and judgement to put things into perspective and avoid getting confused. Many adults have the same problem.

It sounds like you alarmed him. This maybe wasn't the best issue to draw him into.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Elmer...one thing I do very well is...parenting. I do not need a lesson from you. Besides you know how perfectly you parented your children....I'm parenting just as perfectly.

User thanked mamapinky0
  • Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

I hope so but you don't know enough about me to say so or to be sure. This matter is one I wouldn't have shared or discussed with a young- or pre-teen at all. I wasn't giving a lesson, I was making a comment.

• Chi
    5 years ago

Thistledew, it's actually possible to care about all people, whether they live in the US or not. It's a huge assumption to say that "bleeding heart liberals" don't give time or money to help US citizens. That's simply not true. I give both to a variety of different people. I don't believe one person is more important than another based on where they were born.

I do think it's interesting given the topic of this thread that liberals are the only thing you mention as "deplorable." What is your opinion of what's been happening at the border?

User thanked Chi
  • User
    5 years ago

Thistledew, I certainly hope that by the time this is all said and done, your buddy frumpy will have installed a “new law” that will affect some part of your conservative life. Healthcare maybe? So someone in your family will go bankrupt trying to get the medical care they need, or a tariff war that will ultimately cause you to loose your job? Maybe the state you live in is having to raise their taxes to cover a financial loss from the tax reform package. What ever it will be and I can guarantee, there will be something, once it hits your wallet or a loved one some how you will realize this isn’t about “liberals” or “conservatives”. It’s about our democracy and a psycho wanna be dictator.

Oh, and since you’re such a loyalist, don’t forget to “stand up straight & at attention” when he speaks ok?

User thanked User
  • daisychain Zn3b
    5 years ago

thistledew5750, I'm sorry if you and yours have had hard times that you feel have been ignored/caused by the leadership of your country. It must be difficult to feel like your opinions and situation aren't being addressed. We all do better, when we all do better.

User thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • sleeperblues
    5 years ago

Yeah, I think when the effect of the tax laws hit people's pocketbooks they might think differently about Trump. I know we will get hit next April, for sure. Money talks, let's hear all you ardent Trump supporters when it hits you where it hurts.

User thanked sleeperblues
  • User
    5 years ago

BTW, asking for asylum is NOT against the law.

User thanked User
  • Chi
    5 years ago

My uncle is a Trump supporter. He says the economy is doing great and he overlooks everything else as liberal propoganda. The funny thing is Trump inherited a really good economy from Obama, who inherited the worst recession in a long time and turned it around. Yet Trump gets the credit, of course.

User thanked Chi
  • User
    5 years ago

I'm surrounded by Trump supporters. The things they all seem to say and believe as "facts" boggle my mind.

Before you all jump on me as a "libtard snowflake" (and geezum I hate all the name-calling from both sides!), I'm actually pretty conservative in my views and lean strongly Libertarian in some critical issues.

What I value are facts. On a personal and professional level, if you lie to me, you're dead to me. So that obviously explains why I refuse to call myself either a Democrat or a Republican, because yes both sides have in the past and continue to date to flat-out lie to the American people.

However what I see coming out of the Trump camp scares me silly for the future of this country, in a way that I've never been scared before. And I don't understand how some people believe what Trump says, despite incontrovertible facts to the contrary.

To me, this is a huge and unbelievably scary issue and I literally have no idea how to fix it. I don't see it as a Republican or a Democratic political party issue at all. I see it as possibly one of the biggest issues our country has ever faced. I see people who literally can't tell the difference between full-on lies, propaganda that plays fast and loose with "facts", and genuine facts - and I'm terrified it's going to be the death of this country as we know it.

User thanked User
  • Chi
    5 years ago

It's because the political culture has turned more into a football game. Us vs. them, and viewing the opposing team as the enemy. I think a lot of people vote less because they support their candidate and more because they hate the other. It starts from the very top with candidates attacking each other.

As a nation, we are also falling way behind in education, including the ability to develop critical thinking skills and understand the difference between fact and fiction.

I have a cousin who will just blindly pass along every incorrect thing she sees, like that picture last year of Mexico's border wall with central America (which doesn't exist) that was actually a picture of one of the walls on the US border. She's corrected but it doesn't teach her anything and she will just do the same thing over and over.

When people vehemently support one person and think the other is evil, they will do whatever it takes to rationalize, spin, and justify their chosen one's behavior, and find a way to blame the other party instead. It's human nature...in the US at least.

User thanked Chi
  • sjerin
    5 years ago

This is waaaayy past a game, Chi. I don't think the U.S. has ever been in this situation before, where a large contingent of power brokers is dead set on getting rid of as much government and regulation as possible. I'm about to hear how they now want to merge the Labor and Education departments. As with everything having to do with this bunch, it's all about the money.

User thanked sjerin
  • PKponder TX Z7B
    5 years ago

It's all about dividing and conquering and I am not sure who started it. Even here on the KT, normally civil folks get all worked up and start name calling. We can't begin to think rationally when everyone is so angry at (fill in the blank..political views, religious views, pro-life views, gender views...).

User thanked PKponder TX Z7B
  • bleusblue2
    5 years ago

PKponder -- of course people are upset. Maybe they go overboard. But as every day the words coming out of the White House are provable lies -- not misspeaks or misunderstandings -- lies that are repeated over and over (Goebbels) and the party in power, their supporters, are OK with it, we reach a point of explosion. There are no alternate facts but we are expected to have "civil" debates with a brick wall. Politicians lie -- Americans have always said that -- but the lying that is accepted in the White House and by the party has become a swamp. I have never seen so many "commentators" try to twist their words and morals in order to accommodate the lies that come out of the President. It's shameless but in discussion it's sloughed off, considered a side issue and "besides everybody does it." No. It's become a sickness. "Pussy" is OK. "Lock her up" is OK. You know the list. It's becoming more than vile language from a low character President. Now he's getting things done, more and better than any other President in history. Really?

Well we must discuss. We must get across the divide. How about you start -- acknowledge the lies. Even if you don't, we will still keep talking. The alternative is the end of the USA. America won't be "Great Again." It will be finished.

User thanked bleusblue2
  • bob_cville
    5 years ago

It's just too bad that we cannot offer a furnished apartment (and food
    and medical care) for these families to await the outcome of their
    hearings so that they aren't separated from their children.

Given the reported costs of what they are doing, where housing the people they are detaining and arresting costs about $775 per person per day it actually would be vastly cheaper to give each family a furnished apartment. Even in the most expensive cities in the country.

User thanked bob_cville
  • camp56
    5 years ago

This might help explain what's really going on. https://www.facebook.com/lee.whitt.5036/posts/214609382687059

User thanked camp56
  • Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

"This might help explain what's really going on."

Or not. The words of a foot soldier in a situation directed by generals. As is said about elephants marching in line, when holding the tail of the one in front, the view is pretty limited.

• sushipup1
    5 years ago

I don't recall any blame being directed at those foot soldiers. And the story does contain a few incorrect statements. For example, he claims to like Mexican people, but the asylum seekers are predominantly from Central America.

User thanked sushipup1
  • desertsteph
    5 years ago

Watchme, they ARE cages. Similar to what you see in animal shelters. Also, please understand the vast majority of these people are jumping from a hot pan (gangs taking their children) into the fire.

if they have 'wired roofs' on them, do you know why that might be so?

they're in a wild desert area. wild animals... my outdoor dog pen has barbed wire around the top of the fencing (that is about 7 or 8 ft high - part has a roof). there are coyotes out here (the real animal type), and mountain lions. I had a mountain lion on my land about 10 yrs ago. Had a ranger come out to check the paw print I found in my driveway. That print was within 30 ft of my dog. To preserve the print until the ranger arrived, I covered it with a 9" diameter dog dish. that's what it took to preserve the whole paw print.

leaving the top of the fencing open would not have been safe. Those people down there, know what they're doing to keep those kids safe. Many live in a desert area also.

Many of these kids (and so many coming alone) have been handed off to strangers to bring them here. the drug smugglers hire out to bring kids over so they'll assure their own entry into our country.

And yes, this was done under previous presidents - Clinton, Bush and Obama. Were you complaining then?

Many of the young boys/males are sent here to be cells within our country. Many come from ME countries. Many are MS13 gang members - just waiting to set up some other kid here to kill an American as initiation into their group.

Those terrorizing the countries that some are fleeing from, are setting themselves up here, to do the same in the US.

It's the leftist hate gone wild and is already taking over this country. Just ripe for a revolution here and they'll have their people in place within our borders.

I wouldn't watch, listen to or believe 95% of what is put out on the news these days. They're part of it - the propaganda mouthpieces.

It is on our local news continually - the coyotes bringing over illegals - 25 or more smashed into the back of a van - in the AZ heat. They lock them into 'coyotes houses' with no electricity (no a/c), no running water - and no shoes and little to no food, until they can get the money to pay to be transported on up north of here - or east of here.

And Mexico has made it open season on the US - calling all to come on thru MX and bombard our borders.

How 'd that work over in the UK since they let so many Muslims in? Their police are afraid to go into Muslim areas.

I've lived out here a long time and this puts all of us in danger and it puts our LE in danger. It backlogs our courts (I've worked for 3) and costs legal taxpayers for that, for the cost of those in jails and prisons and to repair the damage they do to the desert as they come over the border. A few yrs back I read that it cost AZ over 2 million $s a year for those repairs.

A family several miles from me lost 3 of its 5 members a few yrs ago - shot by an illegal. If the mother of the little boy had been home, she'd have been shot also. He kidnapped the baby boy and took him back to Mexico with him. Imagine that young mom when she came home to find her parents and brother shot dead and her baby boy gone. LE did manage to get the little boy back (he was an American citizen). But now his grandparents and uncle are dead. The mom's support system - gone forever.

This is not a rare type of thing to happen here.

User thanked desertsteph
  • lucillle
    5 years ago

Many of the young boys/males are sent here to be cells within our country. Many come from ME countries. Many are MS13 gang members - just waiting to set up some other kid here to kill an American as initiation into their group.

Someone is drinking a lot of kool aid

User thanked lucillle
  • bleusblue2
    5 years ago

I actually don't get where you are coming from. What universe you live in that you think no "liberal" cares or does anything. I'm sorry. I can't take this rant seriously.

User thanked bleusblue2
  • Chi
    5 years ago

The US has ample resources for starving and homeless children. I find it hard to believe that there are crying and starving children living alone on US streets in any kind of quantity. Most people would not ignore a crying child by themselves and would get them the necessary help.

Also, it's possible to care about all kids, you know. I think every child is equally deserving regardless of where they were born. It is not their fault what their parents do and they should never be punished for it.

User thanked Chi
  • mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Thistledew...when and where was the last you saw a crying, hungry, child alone on the streets in the US? And how did you help the child?

User thanked mamapinky0
  • mayflowers
    5 years ago

Desetsteph, this new separation policy wasn't put in place to stop gangs, drug smugglers, and illegal immigrant crime. It treats parents as criminals so that their kids can be taken away from them and labeled "unaccompanied minors". You and trump are working very hard to conflate the two issues, and in doing so, you are using propaganda yourself in the form of fear-mongering. I am concerned that this type of rhetoric will lead to all Mexicans being feared and hated by those who buy into such RW propaganda. I don't want to see gangs and drug smugglers allowed into this country but I also do not want to see babies and children being separated from loving mothers and fathers. Do you approve of that policy?

User thanked mayflowers
  • User
    5 years ago

It's a well know fact that donald trump has been a con man his entire adult life.

Him fooling the people into electing him president is his ultimate con job.

This separation policy is just another con. How people can be so easily fooled just leaves me stunned.

User thanked User
  • mayflowers
    5 years ago

I am not so sure they are being fooled. Remember, he started this rhetoric the day he came down the escalator and announced his candidacy. He advanced through all the primaries against 17 opponents with the same ugly rhetoric. I think this is EXACTLY what his base wants from him. Note that he has the support of 90% of Republicans--at least from those who still call themselves Republicans.

User thanked mayflowers
  • User
    5 years ago

I can only speak for myself. I don't have hatred in my heart for anyone but neither does he fool me. Everyone associated with this administration has lost all credibility. The "majority may have spoken" but perhaps with a little help from Russia. The jury is still out on that one.

For me, to argue the point is a waste of time.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

And please don't toss me into any political grouping. My feelings about all of this were not political. .but more about how wrong it is to have children locked up, away from all they know, scared...I can't imagine anyone not feeling the same regardless of who they voted for.

• bleusblue2
    5 years ago

Dear MamaPinky & Thistledew -- both of you have done your share and it's inspiring to know that everybody cares, whether liberal or conservative, Republican or Democrat. But the issue is more "what is the government doing in your name?" While Zero Tolerance was applied at the border, were Congressmen rushing to the aid of the American homeless, rectifying problems of homelessness, child poverty and so on? It isn't fair to ask each other what charitable acts we've performed as individuals. As I said, that is not the issue here

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Bleusblue....I know...I was answering a question.

Wish I had answers to this all but I don't. And yes

We ALL care regardless of political beliefs. I'm sure everyone in the KT has helped with our countrys problems. ...

• bleusblue2
    5 years ago

Sure, mamapinky -- I get you.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Wow.....and she doesn't even know my political beliefs because I am pretty sure I never voiced them. No I know I never did.