SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sharron08

Are Pot Fillers dead?

sharron08
5 years ago
I’m blessed to be building a new construction custom home. I’ve always had it in my mind that I would have a pot filler in my kitchen, I mean, no question right? But my builder is trying to talk me out of it. He states that he use to put it in all his homes over $500k, but in the last 4 years, it’s been 1 out of 10 homes. He feels it’s a dying trend and feels my money would be better spent on a filtered hot water tap near the sink. What do you all think? I think it will look great, but I also don’t want something that in 10 or more years I could regret. Any feedback is helpful. Thanks

Comments (79)

• MizLizzie
    5 years ago

Zalco, I’m with you. Don’t need to talk to my lights via Amazon, or adjust my thermostat via phone. But I would die without induction. I think my KD’s point has more to do with her client base, which is mostly in very trendy area. She says they are putting in less than 15% gas now, and 0% old fashioned electric. Said their firm hadn’t put in a pot filler since 2015. And I’m not knocking gas. Some people will always love it.

• Hillside House
    5 years ago

Gas is not old-fashioned. That’s ridiculous.

• Related Discussions

Miltoniopsis, dead , not dead, dead, then not dead

Q

Comments (22)
    James, I have no issues with the heat because they grow inside my house. I never put them outside, even for a couple of minutes. I grow them in a spare room that has a large window that gets early morning sun. I also have them under cheap grow lights that clip onto something that's near the plants. The grow lights take an ordinary grow bulb or you can use those long square grow light bulbs. Either type will work and the total cost is really cheap. Ever since I found out about the water my plants are growing fast. I use only organic fert. since the other types of fert. can burn the roots. The organic can not burn the roots. A guy that I purchase miltoniopsis plants from told me that since most tap water is purified to get rid of bacteria and other things most tap water contains chlorine and chorline burns the delicate roots. I never thought about this before and since I found out about chlorine being in most tap water, this makes sense plus you can smell the faint odor of chlorine in the tap water. I can't tolerate the heat so I stay inside and I set my thermostat at 70 degrees. If I'm happy with the temps. the plants are probably happy too. I almost forgot one important issue. I have a humidifier working 24 hours. It's a real cheap humidifier that I purchased off of Etsy. The humidifier looks like a fat white stick. I stick it in an old plastic water jug and you can see the mist coming out. Apparently it works real well. I can't tell you the brand because it came in a company box and everything is in Chinese including the instructions. I think that the humidifier cost me around five bucks. My set up is cheap but I haven't killed any plants. I currently have about seven plants putting out spikes. I have about twenty plants and I don't want anymore. I'll probably get another one only if the flower color appeals to me or if it's a cross that I don't have.
    ...See More

Pot filler to match Kohler Modern Brass faucet

Q

Comments (16)
    What about the Kohler Artifacts pot filler … https://www.kohler.com/en/products/kitchen-faucets/shop-kitchen-faucets/artifacts-wall-mount-pot-filler-99270?skuId=99270-2MB&id=ps_goo_kbus_dtc_2023_19586594578_f03_c8d2m14&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwte-vBhBFEiwAQSv_xVyJZz3RHGBmYp6Uh98-Ig1fPcQEcvjXNjX1A-kRJVfnXTKW0seB8BoCps4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    ...See More

Best pot-in-pot filler for insulation?

Q

Comments (25)
    if you are considering wet towel wrap to cool by evaporation you'll need a denser fabric then burlap and not organic (cotton mildews and disintegrates fast). i used acrylic felt for passive hydro wicking (it is used by crafters and is cheap by the yard), easy to cut to size. it needs to be prewashed to wick (sizing on fabric prevents wicking) and it will mildew if continuously wet and cool, so no light no dark color, but maybe medium green: easy to see mildew, but not as dingy with time. It will need to be washed from time to time as there will be dirt/mildew buildup, so it needs to be removable. perhaps adding a bit of bleach (or vinegar?) to water will help without being too smelly...and also kill bugs on contact? or you can let it dry overnight ev few days. you'll need some sort of a pan inside to hold 1-2" or water, depending on how fast it evaporates and lift the pot up above water level. painting the outside pot white will help a LOT! in FL people do double potting for bare root orchidsd and other plants, 2" free space between walls is good (it is not filled, as orchid roots need air circulation. an intermediate (3rd) clay pot instead of fabric...sitting in 1-2" of water will wick and evaporate too , but such large pots are expensive and not easy to find.
    ...See More

Pot filler in kitchen

Q

Comments (22)
    I've built multiple times without a pot filler, listening to all the objections listed above. And mostly my husband who just doesn't like added plumbing fixtures. :) The lack of drain was always a big consideration too. But. I do most the cooking and I miss it every single time I cook on the stove. Having been in many kitchens now (family and friends) who successfully use them and love them, I do think it would be missed by many in our area over a certain price point. It's considered a standard feature for a mid-luxury kitchen. Personally, I just have little arms and those pot fillers save alot of time as you are prepping multiple dishes and have lots of people in the kitchen using sinks and making salads etc. It's just a time saver and it's also pretty to look at. If you are crazy practical, you probably won't opt for one anyway. It's a cooking hack and jewelry in the kitchen. Utilitarian cooks would just say march yourself over to the sink. :) .But when the aisles are full of people and pups its a wonderful little luxury to have one. And they don't cost 5k. You can buy a very beautiful one from deVol at around 1300 and you can find ones for much less from other companies. If you are remodeling, you'd have more cost for the rough plumbing, but for a new home, not a huge increase to add a pot filler in a room with a ton of plumbing already.
    ...See More
  • Buehl
    5 years ago

Another disadvantage...if your pot filler develops a leak, the faucet isn't turned off fully, or you overflow a pot, you have no drain...so the water goes all over the place.

If you are on a well, it's recommended you run the water until you clear the pipes if no water has been run for more than a few hours. If you have city water, then that's probably not an issue.

.If you get one, be sure you have easy access to the plumbing in case you have problems...and quick and easy access to the water shutoff.

• Nidnay
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Here we go again with the pot filler debate.

First I would say that if your intention is to get one mainly for looks, it would be a complete waste of money. It’s the function that makes the pot filler a great addition to the kitchen and if you have to ask about it, then I would say you most likely don’t need it.

That said, I love having a pot filler and it can be used for MORE than just filling pots (water sauténg, deglazing, replacing evaporated cooking water, topping off soups and stews, griddle cleaning etc.). The argument that it’s a waste to have one because you eventually have to carry the full pot back to the sink after cooking doesn’t really apply if you use it for other functions. Maybe if they changed the name to “Stove Faucet”, or “Instant Water” rather than pot filler, people would come to understand that it’s not just a pot filler.

For my needs, it’s an invaluable piece of plumbing that makes cooking easier and contributes to a well functioning kitchen. I would never consider getting one only for looks though (it’s not that attractive anyway). For me, having one is truly function over form.

• Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

i like gas. i dont like smoothtops which is an inherent problem for me with induction. it takes longer per week to keep my gass cooktop clean than my electric smoothtop, and i'm always worrying about someone setting something like a pottery casserole on top (hot from the oven) and scratching the glass.

• Eric
    5 years ago

I would argue apron sinks are timeless.

• Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

and i would argue that timeless is the name we've attached to a current trend.

• Mary Leeth
    5 years ago

I really like (and use) my pot filler in my gray kitchen (both of which are, according to some experts here, on their "last legs" as trends). I use a french press for coffee every morning, so I have to boil water in a tea kettle. I also boil a lot of eggs. I've found it to be very useful. To listen to the experts here, virtually everything in my kitchen is on its way out. The question is what you like and, more importantly, what you will find useful!

• Mary Leeth
    5 years ago

Haha, gas is out of style. Now I've heard everything.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

nini, I am not trying to evangelize for induction, but there is no similarity between your glass cooktop and an induction one. The induction cooktop does not get hot, so when something spills on to it, it does not bake on. You can put paper towels or newspapers under your pots and pans if you are frying bacon to help contain the platters and just wipe up with a quick spray of your favorite all-purpose cleaner. Also, aside from dropping something heavy on the glass, it is pretty strong and only scratches of you don't wipe salt and such up- and then drag a pan over the glass with the salt underneath.

• wiscokid
    5 years ago

Except the OP only wanted to install one for looks, not for function. Hence the recommendation to skip it.

5 years ago

Nobody said gas is out of style. That would be like saying buggy whips were going out of style in the 1920s. It's not a style issue.

• 4boybostonma
    5 years ago

Love my pot filler! Beauty and function. Use it everyday. Also use my instahot everyday. Must you choose? Go with function over form.

• Elle
    5 years ago
    It would be more accurate to compare "gas is going out of style" to people who try to use their phone in place of a laptop for everything- close, but not quite. It can't possibly go out of style yet because there's nothing objectively better to replace it with. Induction is great but not "clearly disruptive" in the same way pagers were wiped out by cell phones.
  • H202
    5 years ago

Pot fillers haven't been "in style" since the tuscan trends of the oughts. I get that some people find them functional for their individual uses, so power to those people to get one. But otherwise, please, no.

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

If the only criteria is popularity, then that will vary according to location in the country, and the individual fashion consciousness of the individual in that area of the country.

For instance, I got a request last week for a “Tuscan kitchen”. Even here in the middle of the country, with a predominately conservative styling bent, that style is clearly being ripped out in droves as a “Before”. But a warm toned, light filled, traditional kitchen is the takeaway from that style fad.

This year is the Year of the Navy Island. When I designed a new showroom 6 years ago, I did a white inset kitchen with a navy island and marble backsplash. There was a lot of sidewise glances on that one. But the designer who inherited that showroom can’t believe that the kitchen was 6 years old, as it has every trend that is hot this year. I saw it coming, because I pay attention to the style centers.

I also did a copper pot filler, with matching prep faucet, in a stained wood transitional kitchen in that showroom. But, I haven’t done a kitchen design with a pot filler in 3 years. I’ve done plenty of copper (and now brass) faucets though.

Fashion comes and goes. Good design principles and functionality are what remain “timeless”.

• Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

(rita... its not baked on stuff that i have a hard time getting off.... its salt water splatters. grease spots. just water spots. no heat needed. run of the mill stuff like that, not a ring from boiled-over pasta. the wash... the buff... the buff some more.

because i have both *right now* on a 3 days of one then 4 days of the other routine, i can unequivocally say, that my 30" smooth top stove is a bigger pita to keep clean than my 36" 5 burner stainless steel gas cooktop. and yes, a guest put a le cruset casserole from the oven onto the glass, and left a 2 inch scratch. just like that. if i had the option for gas at my vacation house that is exactly what i'd be cooking on. the glass has done me in.)

5 years ago

At the risk of veering terribly OT, Cook's Kitchen, could you tell us where you think kitchen trends are going now? Please :-) And yes, I know a ton of people don't care about trends. Personally, I don't care much either for my own kitchen, but it's like a spot for me watching what happens in the marketplace.

• Amber S
    5 years ago

Don't waste your money if you want it just for looks. Personally, my pot filler gets used every day. We boil water for our coffee, tea, or espresso every morning, I make soup at least once a week, regardless of the season. And use it to add water to a recipe when needed. That being said, I definitely wouldn't have one if I didn't cook daily and had no actual use for it.

5 years ago

nini, I spent time in a vacation rental with a smooth top electric, I know exactly what you mean about the salt water splatters- how on earth does that happen? But I promise you, that does not happen on induction. First, splatters are rare on induction because of the responsiveness, but when they do happen, they are a nothing to deal with. And I realize I am sounding like an overly persistent, induction salesperson ;-)

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

True sleek, but organic, modern is gaining ground over the quasi-modern transitional look. More slab doors. More minimalism. More low maintenance. Which also ties in with the rise in popularity, and the downward price, of induction cooking.

There’s a big backlash against cold colors, and especially grays. Warm tones, woods, and color are making big inroads.

Like this kitchen from Yuko Matsumoto. Even though it might be a tad on the busier side than most will want at first, it incorporates a lot of what will be very popular in 5-7 years.

We are at the tail end of the Baby Boomers with money remodeling. That makes Universal Design another big trend. Gen X just sees Universal Design as more inclusive of everyone’s abilities, and takes a lot of it for granted.

If you want a name for the next big trend after “Farmhouse” fades, Sophie and I talked about labeling it Zen Modern, Or Easy to Clean. If it won't go in a DW, or be cleaned by a spritz of Windex, a lot of people won’t want to deal with it. And if it’s faux, it’s a no go.

5 years ago

Thank you so much for the explanation and the visual Cook's Kitchen. I really appreciate your insights.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    5 years ago

When I did my kitchen a few years ago, my BF wanted a pot filler. I disagreed with him. Yes, they look snazzy, but I agree that this is a trend that won't return. They were a flash in the pan, so to speak, no pun intended!

The reason I said no pot filler to my BF was...the sink wasn't very far away...and I just thought it was one more faucet to maintain and clean. And what happens if it gets a leak, and no sink underneath it? Just doesn't seem logical to me.

If for looks only, don't do it!

• Mary Leeth
    5 years ago

This is a fascinating discussion about trends. Our house is nearly 200 years old, so an ultra-modern sleek kitchen would probably not work here (although some in my neighborhood have done it). But I really like that look, and if I owned a more modern house I would love a kitchen like that.

• skmom
    5 years ago
    I wouldn't do one just for looks... and I didn't originally want one, but since my hubby was doing our diy kitchen remodel and it was a gut job and he had access to the wall being open, he insisted. Now I'm so glad I have it!! I use it close to daily, and what wasn't mentioned (or I didn't see it) in this thread yet was that yes, even though I have two other sink faucets that aren't all that far away, I still prefer using my pot filler because... it's a high flow faucet. Sucker turns on like a freaking tub spout and I love it because it fills things quickly! LOL! (Yes, I can fill things up slowly with it as well, it's easy to control, but when I want to fill my electric tea kettle, or my stock pots, or my watering can for my house plants, the power is right there and I love it. :)
  • PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    5 years ago

There is no right or wrong and even if it's just for the look then why not. Timeless does not really have a lot to do with the individual materials or objects, it comes down to the overall design and whether or not the materials and objects compliment the design or fight with it. Good design is always timeless.

• Aurora Tee (Zone 6a)
    5 years ago

@The Cook's Kitchen -- so what you are saying is that sensibility is the next trend! I am so looking forward to that. I forwent a gut remodel in my current home just to have the idea of easy to clean and aging in place in my dream retirement house. Saving the funds for where it matters.

Using the more is less concept, I say "no" to the pot filler if it is serving absolutely no function other than looks.

• User
    5 years ago

I loved the pot filler I had 10 years ago, but have moved twice and didn't find putting one in necessary. If I could do one for 1K or so, I wouldn't hesitate to put one in. I liked my induction, I LOVE my gas cooktops. I have one apron sink and one that is not. I like both. IOW - have fun and do what you like, not what others may or may not like.

• friedajune
    5 years ago

@The Cook's Kitchen - I am so surprised that the kitchen photo you posted is of upcoming trends in the next 5 or so years. If someone just showed me that photo with no other info, I would have put it without hesitation at 2004-2006. I am not trying to be challenging. I say that due to the style of cabinets, that type of bar pull, the black glossy counters, base cabinets instead of deep base drawers, flat-bottomed chimney hood, faucet style, little squares of frosted glass, and that the cabinets don't meet the ceiling. Perhaps that means that those popular features of 15 years prior are circling around and will be hot again in the next few years.

• Mrs Pete
    5 years ago

Anyone with a bad lower back knows that an apron sink will never go out of fashion.

We short people like them too.

Another disadvantage...if your pot filler develops a leak, the faucet isn't turned off fully, or you overflow a pot, you have no drain...so the water goes all over the place.

No, pot fillers have two "stops", so it's highly unlikely they'd both go bad while you're out of town.

Haha, gas is out of style.

Yeah, so are roofs and insulation.

• Buehl
    5 years ago

Famous last words....

It would never happen... (or even unlikely to happen)

No one would ever do that...

(Sorry -- I've heard them all before!)

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

I love that the new trend kitchen looks like a light touch remodel of my mother's unchanged original mid-century kitchen. If I didn't love those copper saucer-shaped pulls so much...

• sharron08
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I appreciate everyone’s feedback on this great debate. I’m sure if I put in a pot filler, I would find ways to use it that I never thought of. I know your kitchen can never truly be timeless, but the less trends I can not put in it, the better it will beI believe in the long run. Sounds like pot fillers are somewhat trendy-unless you have true purpose for them. Also sounds like people aren’t going to be looking for them in the kitchen if I ever sell my home in the next 15-20 years.
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

If you sell your home in 20 years, no one will care about your pot filler--they'll want a new kitchen!

• sharron08
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Diana, that is SO true!
  • PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    5 years ago

To emphasize my point that good design is what defines timeless and not the materials. Currently there is an emphasis on rustic woods, rustic woods have been around forever, nothing new there. What is new is an increased desire to use rustic woods, nothing wrong with this. What will make it a short lived fad is that it will be used when it should not be used. When this is done, it may take 5 or more years but sooner or later persons will recognize that it should not have been used in that application, it's just bad design and bad design will not survive the test of time.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

sharron08, I keep telling myself I won't post to any more pot filler question threads, but here I am! Frankly, as you say, you are thinking of looks and trends, so what your builder suggested - filtered hot water tap near the sink, is more appropriate for you I would think. More potential buyers would appreciate this.

Pot fillers have been a huge trend for some time, and as others have said, trends come and go. Timeless is nigh on impossible though some might make suggestions. No such thing as true timeless as trends come and go so quickly and many now-a-days consider trends as timeless. A good example is The Cook's Kitchen post above - that's pretty far removed from the recent past trends, and someday it will be pretty far removed from the next trends. You can look for aspects that are in the timeless category, but, is that you?

Pot fillers are trendy, but are also highly functional - if you utilize them. Many here on GW Kitchens have found them to be indispensable, functionally speaking, and many don't because a pot filler is not functional to the way they cook.

A quick search here on GW/Houzz and you can read long, and rather argumentative threads both pro and con on Pot Fillers: Pot Filler Garden Web Search

It's like asking if you'd use a steam oven. Are they trendy? Yes. Are they highly functional - for some, absolutely. Depends on use, cooking style, and needs.

We are installing a pot filler. I will have 2 sinks in close proximity. The way I cook it will be functional.

For anyone installing a pot filler: I would not rely on the 2 shut-offs built in to the pot filler faucet itself. But I'd want them. You should also install a shut-off inside a cabinet or behind a drawer as well. For those who might comment there is no drain beneath a pot filler, there is also no drain for ice makers, for commodes, for water tanks, for water pipes underneath sinks which also spring leaks, ad infinitum. Every type of piping can spring leaks. But there is typically electric above your pot filler, so consider that.

If you install a wall mount pot filler strongly consider beefing up the interior wall where it's to be installed so you won't get sag from that the installation area, or install a deck-mount.

For a truly timeless kitchen, I suggest you purchase or build a house with a very specific style: a farm house will always want a farm house style kitchen. A craftsman house will always want a craftsman kitchen. A cottage house will want a cottage style kitchen. A cabin will want a more rustic kitchen. A contemporary home will want a contemporary kitchen. Etc.

• Idicula Samuel
    5 years ago
    Very interesting comments - question was about pot fillers and my view is if you like it go for it.

However people have talked about gas going out of style and induction being the next trend. I for one would not want induction as I would not be able to use my beautiful copper cookware.

Now for those who have cooked with gas and copper utensils you know there is no substitute.
  • piyushsahay
    2 years ago

I am a professional chef. Here is my take on this string.

Pot Fillers - very useful if you use it or your sink is not too close to your stove. Wall mounted ones above the stove will need cleaning after cooking daily to avoid grease build up. We chefs are used to wiping our workstations clean daily. I prefer the deck mounted pot filler by the stove. Easier to maintain clean and plumbing can be run under the counter top. I have always found it handy but like I said, it is a personal choice.

Induction Stove - Clean, does not produce much heat and is faster than gas and reacts to increase and decrease in heat a lot faster. Takes a bit getting used to cooking on it but if you have a good make induction stove, most will love it. I had a stand alone countertop induction stove in my old house and used it the most as compared to gas. My new house has an induction stove and I love it. Don't really miss gas. A little care of the glass top is a lot less you need to care about burners.

To conclude, if you use it and feel it helps you in your cooking, go for it.

• PRO
    Alicia
    2 years ago

Dan Worst, Product Manager at Elkay, agrees that pot fillers are definitely growing in popularity. “We find homeowners are especially drawn to the timeless element of pot fillers but appreciate a more modern, sleek, and clean look that can match their kitchen style, whatever that may be,” Worst says

• Jake The Wonderdog
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Pot fillers aren't pining for the fjords,they have joined the choir invisible.

• Jake The Wonderdog
    2 years ago

So here's the thing: Pot fillers were always pretty questionable.

The idea is that you don't want to carry heavy pots of water to the stove.

The truth is that you have to cook A LOT OF PASTA for that argument to even start to show up on the radar. More importantly, the far bigger issue is carrying a pot of boiling water to the sink and dumping it in a strainter. Even if you use a slotted spoon to remove the pasta, you still have a pot of water you need to move to the sink.

The right answer is to design the sink so it's not that far from the stove and has a clear path - preferably over a counter. If it gets too heavy or hot, you set it down. You don't want to carry boiling pans of water across the kitchen where a slip could result in serious burns (it's happened repeatedly).

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    2 years ago

I remember reading a comment from a chef in a restaurant about pot fillers. They are great when making huge pots of soup or stew for guests. You fill the pot with water right on the stove, and you make the soup/stew/etc. Then you serve it right from the pot into the bowl. No need to carry a pot full of any hot liquid to the sink, since by the end of the night the pot is empty. No mention of pasta though.

But this is for commercial use. I would not want one in my home kitchen--the benefit is not worth the extra cost.

• Nidnay
    2 years ago

@Jake The Wonderdog ….I don’t agree that pot fillers have always been pretty questionable. And in my experience, filling and carrying heavy pots full of water has NEVER been it’s main feature (although, many will boil their pasta with a large strainer IN the pot of boiling water, where it is then simply lifted to drain into the pot below). Then when the water cools, it can be brought to the sink to empty. “Pot fillers” are not just for filling pots! I do wish they would change the name so people could then understand their usefulness. I happen to have a prep sink which is 3 feet away from my range (both sink and range are on the same counter run….so properly designed by your standards) but I still have a pot filler. Have you read any of the posts from others that explain what they use them for?

• Angel 18432
    2 years ago

Kitchen designers have to come up with something "new" - pot fillers was one of them.

Maybe good for commercial use, but in my opinion, not for residential use.

Spend your $$ more wisely in other areas.

• Rebekah L
    2 years ago

I saw a pot filler mounted into the end of an island in a low nook that held the dog's bowls. Easy refills for my giant, thirsty dog? Now THAT would be helpful.

(+1 if you can make it operable with a little foot pedal, +10 if you can teach your dog to do it.)

• Angel 18432
    2 years ago

Rebekah - so cute.

• Jake The Wonderdog
    2 years ago

@Rebekah L - yeah... not so much, really. At least with my dog you have to change the water twice a day - and rinse the bowl out. Now, if you could make a flushing dog water bowl... oh, wait... .

• Beth deSousa
    2 years ago

We are building a nice custom home and I insisted on a pot filler. The guy actually on-site, building our house, talked us out of it for several good reasons. 1) Even if you plumb it with hot water, it will come out cold until it warms up. You could install "Instant" hot water, I suppose. 2) If you plumb it with cold, how useful is it really if you have a sink nearby. In our case, we have a prep sink close by in the island a full sink on the far side of the kitchen. 3) Because there is no sink below it, if it were to be left on or turned on (say, by a child) and left dripping or full on running, your house would flood very quickly because there is no safety overflow like you would have in a sink.

We left the rough in plumbing in the wall if someone would like one in the future, but we nixed the idea of installing one.

• Jake The Wonderdog
    2 years ago

@Beth deSousa I can't imagine plumbing a potfiller to hot water. My hot water is soft. I don't ever cook with hot water. My cold water (for coffee, cooking, drinking, ice tea, etc.) is carbon filtered and not softened. But you do bring up a different point: My kitchen sink gets used multiple times a day. Even so, I usually flush it a bit to clear out the water in the lines before I make a pot of coffee in the morning. I can't imagine using water that has set stagnate in the potfiller line for weeks between use and not flushing it out first... which you can't really do.