SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lumpy_j

Miltoniopsis, dead , not dead, dead, then not dead

James _J
11 years ago

Here's the story

Few years back I picked up a Miltoniopsis in a 4" pot with about 5 growths, in spike. Over the next 6 months or so it slowly declines, which I kind of expected since I've never been able to grow these before.

I thought my problem was temperature related but was advised by someone that is was most likely because I was letting it dry out to much. So with the plant almost dead I decided to put it in a semi hydroponic pot to see what would happen.

It died back to the point where all that was left was 2 small shriveled p-bulbs. I was about to throw it away but got caught up with other things for a few weeks. When I finally got around to dumping it I notice new growth so I put it back where it was. It continued to grow and 2 years later it flowered , 4 spikes with nice large flowers.

This year the new growth started out normally but when it was about half way to maturity it stopped growing. Then it turned brown, starting from the tips of the newest leaves spreading down to the p- bulbs. I also notice the leaves take on a chalky, silver appearance. While removing the dead leaves I find spikes in the folds of the leaves brown at the tips and green at the base. The die back continues until again, I'm left with 2 shriveled p -bulbs. Again I was about to throw it away and what do I see, new growth.

The semi - hydroponic pot it's in is basically a clear plastic pot that sits inside another pot with a reservoir at the bottom. The clear pot has a wick that pulls water into the media. Thru the clear pot I can see the roots, they look fine. The only thing I did different this year was I sprayed with Physan in the fall, other than that everything else was the same.

So what hapened? Could the Physan have killed the top growth and not the roots? Another odd thing I noticed is that the potting mix seems to have a sweet scent to it, do Miltoniopsis roots have a scent?

Thanks

Comments (22)