SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 6 - 17 - 18

User
5 years ago

James Weldon Johnson Quotes

American - Poet June 17, 1871 - June 26, 1938

Any musical person who has never heard a Negro congregation under the spell of religious fervor sing these old songs has missed one of the most thrilling emotions which the human heart may experience.

James Weldon Johnson

I believe it to be a fact that the colored people of this country know and understand the white people better than the white people know and understand them.

James Weldon Johnson

The battle was first waged over the right of the Negro to be classed as a human being with a soul; later, as to whether he had sufficient intellect to master even the rudiments of learning; and today it is being fought out over his social recognition. James Weldon Johnson

My appearance was always good and my ability to play on the piano, especially ragtime, which was then at the height of its vogue, made me a welcome guest.

James Weldon Johnson

It is a struggle; for though the black man fights passively, he nevertheless fights; and his passive resistance is more effective at present than active resistance could possibly be. He bears the fury of the storm as does the willow tree.

James Weldon Johnson

I do not see how a people that can find in its conscience any excuse whatever for slowly burning to death a human being, or for tolerating such an act, can be entrusted with the salvation of a race.

James Weldon Johnson

It is from the blues that all that may be called American music derives its most distinctive character.

James Weldon Johnson