SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20096495

Home Made Lemon Extract. :)

User
5 years ago

I made my first 4oz bottle of Lemon Extract. It's so simple! Simply cut or grate (I used my grater) to remove the yellow part of a lemon (don't get too much of the white, it'll make the extract bitter). I used the rind of one large lemon to 4oz of vodka. Put it in a small jar and store it in a cool dark cupboard for about 4 weeks. Some let it go up to 6 weeks, but I read that you don't want to go too long or it affects the flavour. I strained it directly into a bottle (I bought a dozen 4oz bottles from Amazon) using a cheesecloth lined funnel. Then I printed off a label and used a glue stick to stick it to the bottle, then thought I should cover that with a layer of packing tape to keep it looking good. Voila! Now to find a recipe to use it in.

I have 24 oz of vodka in my cupboard with 9 Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Beans right now. I'm going to let them sit until the first week of December then put them in 4oz bottles as well. I'll probably leave a bit of the beans in each of the jars so whomever I gift them to, can top up their bottle with vodka as they use up the extract.

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus