SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
colotwn

Help! Not sure what to do about cabinet color and trim...

colotwn
5 years ago

We are in the final, final stages of our cabinet design and I need to pick a color ASAP. We are remodeling our kitchen and floors from a traditional dark cherry kitchen (with black granite and little natural light) to white/off white cabinets and a stained island.

Here's the problem...the previous owner built the house using a custom builder "designer cream" for the trim around the interior doors, baseboards, door, etc. They also installed expensive plantation shutters in a cream that match the trim. For some reason, they started to paint the baseboards white while leaving the door trim, door and shutters cream. It makes the doors, etc look dirty. The kitchen opens up to a great room where there is a wall of cream built-ins.

So, now bring the cabinets into the equation...should the cabinet color match the trim and doors - cream? or can I go with a soft white like White Dove? The cabinets and trim will be close to each other in some spots in the kitchen. The crown for the cabinets will be going around the room - above the door trim. So, go with white or deal with using a creamy, yellow cabinet color. Or can I do different levels of cream - lighter for cabinets and crown and keep everything else the same? We have accepted that we will prob lose the plantation shutters at the window so I will have the opportunity to paint the window trim a different color. If weren't for the $$$$ plantation shutters, I would paint everything white. Changing the shutters is not in my budget and will need to stay.

Note: I have samples of SW Dover White (too yellow), BM White Dove (too white). Any other suggestions?

Comments (7)