SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_23832246943

Help me decorate my bedroom (global/bohemian)

HU-23832246943
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I've lived in my house two years now and it's time to decorate my bedroom. It’s a craftsman-style house built in the 1920s with all original wood trim (I won't be painting the trim). The room is roughly square and small by modern standards (11' 3" x 11' 8"). My preferred style is global/bohemian.

Issues with the room:

• Dark: potential for LOTS of natural light, but the window is right up against the neighbor's driveway (we're in very close quarters with the neighbors), so privacy is priority. I'm considering the cellular shades that play double duty as either light-filtering or room-darkening but haven't purchased them yet because I don't know if they're necessary. Could I achieve lighting and a little privacy during the day by just hanging sheer curtains over the window and putting the current blinds up when I want light?
  • Square: The doors, the window, the tall bed...there are just too many sharp edges and straight lines in this room. Curtains mounted above the windows will help hide some of the boxy trim. Could I even put curtains along that entire wall? I could also take the closet door off the hinges (middle of the room, pictured on left in the 3rd photo) and hang macrame or something similar.
  • Bed: I love my bed frame, but my new mattress makes it extremely tall. I want to buy all white bedding but can't decide if I should upsize to a king duvet as the queen doesn't actually reach the top of the side rails. A king duvet reaches almost to the bottom of the rails. Would a bohemian-looking bed skirt disguise the height or exaggerate it?
  • Brown, mono-texture: Obviously the room needs some color. I love the pictures online of white natural-looking bohemian bedrooms with white bedding, white walls, colorful accent pillows, green plants, and usually red or orange-hued kilim rugs. But would a red/orange rug just add to the brown of the whole room? Or would it blend a bit with the floor and prevent the room from looking smaller?
  • Lighting: The ceiling light fixture is a circular flush mount with frosted glass and chrome trim. It looks too sterile. I would like to use the light fixture as a way to introduce more texture (maybe gold? or shells?). Would a pendant light help soften the room?

Any thoughts on the above or brand new ideas? Would love to hear how I can make this bedroom look peaceful and inviting.

Comments (51)

• User
    5 years ago

I may hop around a bit, so...I have the same bed issue. It's difficult to find a generous enough comforter...I would say that kind would be good for yours and I would skip the ruffle...

Your windows and privacy...I wouldn't buy blinds to replace blinds..I assume your view is your neighbors house so not much to look at? What about window film? They make it opaque enough for privacy and then you hang some pretty drapes up...

Rugs come in all sorts of colors! No need to have brown or orange..

• Betsy Cain
    5 years ago
    You could try mounting sheer white curtains on the trim as seen here:
    My Houzz: Bold Wallpaper Kicks Up a Century-Old Craftsman · More Info
  • Related Discussions

Help me decorate my master bedroom please!!

Q

Comments (5)
    Too many pillows on the bed, and I'm afraid the room looks rather cold. I would add another color, perhaps yellow, to warm up the room, and pale yellow curtains with gray walls would look great, and change some of the pillows to that color. The TV looks lonely, I would put a long, narrow console under it and find a way to attach the cord behind the TV. You could put large candle holders with yellow candles on the console, but don't crowd it with too much "stuff" otherwise. I wouldn't paint the wall too deep a gray, make it a warm middle tone so the room looks cozy.
    ...See More

Help decorate my bedroom

Q

Comments (5)
    We need pix of all four walls to determine best layout and what you should do. Is there any more furniture for this space? Where is your longest wall located?
    ...See More

Please help decorate my bedroom!

Q

Comments (13)
    Great space! You have some excellent pieces to work with! Your space could really benefit from a few pops of color. The recommendation would be to pull colors from your beautiful prints. Most of your furniture can stay as it works really well with the boho-mod look. Consider adding an accent chair to replace the one dining chair, paint a deep blue accent wall- perhaps behind the headboard- add a couple of wall sconces, and layer in some fresh textiles. Depending on your budget, look at thrift stores and/or West Elm, Target, and World Market. The artwork on your large dresser could be hung just above the dresser with the top of the frame lining up with the bottom of the header door trim. Consider the two other pieces on the wall opposite the dresser with a couple of wood box beam floating shelves, a metallic dimensional piece and a few accessories to create more of a gallery wall look. Happy Decorating!
    ...See More

Want to decorate my master bedroom. Anything will help me. I don't w

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi cathy_1, The first place to start is with a color palette. Otherwise you are searching for a needle in a haystack when it comes to the design. Check out my Ideabook. If you don't find anything you like I can create a custom palette for you! Here's the link to the Color Palettes Ideabook: https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/84492682/list/color-palette-creations Karen
    ...See More
  • Betsy Cain
    5 years ago
    A spherical filigree pendant in the center would be pretty!
  • HU-23832246943
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, curtains seem to be a given since they could help resolve the natural lighting issue as well as soften the room up. Sheer curtains might work better than privacy film since the windows are old craftsman-style with vertical grilles. I think curtains need to be white/similar light color to keep the space looking open. I agree it’s silly to replace blinds with blinds, so I’ll put up curtains first and see how that changes things.

I cant understand from your comment, but would you go with the too-short queen duvet, or the too-long king size? Maybe with all-white bedding, it won’t be noticeable if there’s a slight gap between the duvet and rail that exposes some of the mattress. I’ll take your advice and skip the bed skirt since that would just emphasize the boxy shape of the bed.

Would be getting 5x7 size rug offset under the side of the bed. I do like the idea of the plush teal rug you shared. Teal would really make white bedding and the wood bed frame pop.

And I love the idea of the filigree lamp! Very sultry. I’ll be looking for a similar fixture with electrical wiring for the US.

• User
    5 years ago

Hi sorry for the wishy washy response....I would do a king on your bed but only after I've checked all the sizes of queens that you like...they do vary a bit. I love white bedding! Matelasse would be beautiful.

You could get a king and try it just for size to see if you like it..

I love the rugs you posted...what about getting 2 and overlapping them a bit?

As far as a chandelier goes, you're spoiled for choice, really...so many beautiful ones...

HU-23832246943 thanked User
  • caligirl5
    5 years ago

I have 11x11 craftsman bedroom, though my trim had long been painted. The window looks right into the neighbors yard too!

I have Bali sun up/sun down cellular shades through Costco. I wanted privacy all the time, enjoy the light without glare during the day, and black out for sleeping (I'm more sensitive to the light than other people, why won't the neighbors turn off their patio light?). When I wake up, I close the black out and open the light filtering, and I get a ton of natural light. I won't say that adding curtains won't be good enough for you, but it wouldn't have worked for me, and I wanted to avoid curtains to cover up the trim. I do have a caveat that the shades have more light leakage than I expected, but I partly attribute that to planning errors on my part.

I put a king-size duvet on my queen bed and like it. I wouldn't do a bed skirt with your bed.

What are your thoughts on the wall color? I can't quite tell if it's white or beige? I love dark colors or blue/greens with wood trim, but I know it's not for everybody. I think would help balance the brown monotone.

Love the rugs your posted--if you have some favorite bedroom inspiration pics, could you share those too?

Here's my bedroom with the shades. I'm sharing so you can see the shades, but ignore the rest of the room--the backlighting is making it shadowy.

Here's a slightly better representation of the color. I really like the blue with the orangey wood furniture and floors.

Another room (not mine!) with blue and stained trim (I like both colors but would have just picked one!)

• HU-23832246943
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Did some research and the largest queen size duvet and covers I can find are made by Hotel Collection, 94x96, which is 8-10” larger than the current one on the bed and just might work. The trick is also finding cover to fit a strange size at a reasonable price, so I might be limited to a basic smooth white cotton cover by the same brand.

I’m leaning toward the third rug. It’s more muted, which I find very calming. Plus it will tie in with warm tones, leaving lots of options open. I did find a brick and mortar shop in the US that makes filigree lamps, and they recommended one based on my room size and ceiling height. Has the option to put two bulbs in to make bright enough light for a bedroom.

Those Bali cellular shades look beautiful in that room. I completely agree about the always needing privacy part. Do you feel that there is complete privacy during the day when the light-filtering section is being used? In my case, I do want to cover the window trim with curtains too because I just have so much trim in the room, lol. But my gut tells me that I would also enjoy those same blinds that you have. Are yours anchored on both the top and the bottom? That's another option I kind of like, to keep them organized and in line, haha.

Wall color.... surprisingly it is a medium grey but appears beige in the photo because all the sun reflecting off of that driveway. See the third picture (with two doors) for an idea of the true color. The blinds are almost always closed (at least until I get curtains), and the room is very dingy and shadowy. I’m thinking a linen white would work well. Had thought of an accent wall, but the bedroom has two entrances and I don’t want to limit the placement of the bed with an accent wall. I did try teal paint on a simulator online, and I didn’t like the clash between the paint color and the orangey wood. White trim really helps break that up.

Here are some favorite bedrooms (and even living rooms) for inspiration. You can see a real theme going here, lol.

• User
    5 years ago

I just wanted to comment on the light. While very beautiful, they cannot be used as proper light. My daughter has 3 moroccan lights hanging next to her bed (not electrified, she has tea lights that have a remote) and they're just for fun, really, as they create patters all over.

Just an fyi so you're not disappointed.

• User
    5 years ago

Also, dark denim blue really does look amazing with that wood...

• HU-23832246943
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I definitely understand the concern about the Moroccan light. That’s why I contacted the shop owner. I wanted to know if they could only be used as accent lighting. The pendant I showed is what they recommended. The one shown has one bulb in the photo, but he said they could make it to use two 60 watt bulbs. It also has a cut out at the bottom, so it’s not fully enclosed.

Regarding blue paint, would you just do that as an accent wall? I don’t want to make the room too dark..

• User
    5 years ago

It depends on the lighting...if you're set on that one you showed then it will be dark. Some are okay with that, though...I did my mom's tiny bathroom in navy and she loves it.

It really depends on what you want...If you use the room for anything other than night time...stuff...then a dark room might not be for you.

There was a poster here who did a blue room (small like yours) like the above but with oak flooring and white trim....she added teal accents. It turned out lovely....

This is where it gets tricky making suggestions because we all have our own preferences and tolerance levels...

What does your instinct tell you?

• User
    5 years ago

Just wanted to add that this is a very very fun room to create! You can really go wild and it won't look "wrong" aesthetically...

• HU-23832246943
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I do only use my room for night time stuff, but I don’t want it to feel dark during the day. Those photos of my favorite bedrooms all have light neutral walls, so I think my gut says I’m apparently drawn to those colors.

• caligirl5
    5 years ago

The light filtering shades do have privacy. I ordered the hold down brackets for the bottom, which I installed on one shade, but it seemed like the others were fine without it so I stopped there.

I don't think dark painted rooms have to feel dark, but I like the moody feeling myself. I wouldn't do an accent wall, so if blue doesn't sing to you I think a light neutral will do fine.

The 3rd rug you posted is my favorite too :)

• HU-23832246943
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well, of course you've both piqued my curiosity again, haha. I still don't like the teal with the wood trim, but I found this blue, so there's this:

The blue definitely warms it up with a cozy feeling, but might not work with that light in the picture, which I really love now that I've seen it in the room lol. Also,I feel like the bed would need something above the headboard. And back to the rug layering idea, not sure if my room is too small for it, but I could consider getting a larger natural looking rug in a lighter shade than the wood, and layer that beneath the pictured one. But that would be only with the blue walls.

• caligirl5
    5 years ago

I love it!

• User
    5 years ago

I love it too....A couple of blues that have been recommended here are Hale Navy and Van Deusen Blue.

If you're on a budget, there's no reason not to peruse Craigslist for rugs...that way you could layer more than two and if you don't like it just put one in another room...I don't necessarily think you need to limit yourself to a plain and pattern either...persian rugs are mixed up all the time and it looks fabulous. In fact for your look, the more the merrier

Would your bed be better against the windows or is that a look that bothers you?

• HU-23832246943
    Original Author
    5 years ago

With the headboard against the windows and the bed centered in the room?

• Betsy Cain
    5 years ago
    I like the idea of lighter walls! What about something like Benjamin Moore’s “Balboa Mist”? Also, what is the name of the shop where you found the light fixture? It’s gorgeous!
    https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/color-overview/find-your-color/color/oc-27/balboa-mist?color=OC-27
  • HU-23832246943
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I like that color as well, Betsy. It’s very similar to the photo of the second living room that I shared. It would keep the room looking both bright and cozy.

The name of the shop is Little Light Bazaar. They are based in Illinois but you can also do a search for their website and Facebook page. They also make beautiful hand blown glass pendant lights which I would love to have.

• HU-23832246943
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here’s an example of a glass pendant light that I think would also look great if the filigree is too dark:

Or like this wire one. Definitely want something round or curvy.

• User
    5 years ago

Love those...

Also love the wall hanging behind the bed.

You need to get yourself off to a flea market, girl! So much fun stuff to be had out there..

• HU-23832246943
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Unfortunately there aren't any flea markets here this time of year. I might need to plan a trip to the next city over and see if they have anything worthwhile.

Just for kicks, here's a sketch of what might happen if I "embraced" the coziness of the room and turned it into a little bohemian den of pattern, lol. Not that I would pick all those specific items, but to get a general feel for it. I like it. My room is empty and sparse, and leaves you wondering what you should do when you're standing in it. This style is warm and inviting. And I like your idea, pennydesign, of layering rugs. I could get a 5'8" of that first rug I really like since it's very affordable, angle it slightly askew on the side of the bed, and then in time I could find another rug at a flea market or other to overlap slightly at the foot of the bed. This also solves the problem I had earlier when I was considering a large area rug which would be impossible to vacuum under the bed. And it minimizes the wood and orangey tone.

Embrace the coziness; pattern crazy · More Info

So I really like that specific teal rug and that hanging light, and both are very affordable. I already have kilim pillows I planned on using as throws.

I'm thinking in the third photo, with the two doors, I could put colorful tapestries on the walls. Those are easy enough to find on a budget too. I might be able to incorporate the mandala already on the opposite wall if I do tapestries there as well.

Well, what do you think? Am I on the right track? Or is this looking crazy? lol

• User
    5 years ago

Yes, you're on the right track. Don't forget CL for bargains...I picked up a couple of vintage quilts for 40 for both...in particular "crazy quilts" would look smashing for you. I have also, in my daughters bedroom when she was young, used vintage silk saris from ebay as drapes (they were fuchsia just like you're showing :)). Most recently I got her a Moroccan wedding blanket and she keeps it folded at the bottom of her bed. She has a vintage kimono hanging on the wall. I stenciled her nightstand so that it looks like bone inlay..like this but black and white..

I think the trick here is to be brave...You want this room to look like you've bought back things from your travels and displayed. Do you have thrift shops near you? Great for baskets and other interesting things...

I love this kind of room and the best part about it is that there's no guilt when the time comes to change to another style because it doesn't have to cost much.

• HU-23832246943
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I think I’m ready to look for sheers and a curtain rod. I’m not worried about any particular color for the curtain rod, which I should probably be able to find easily at a thrift store; just whatever catches my eye. I’m also not set on having actual curtains if sheers will be enough to soften the look of the room. So I think I’ll get a normal curtain rod and if I add curtains later, I can always use a bungee cord to make it into a double curtain rod.

For the sheers themselves, I know I want either white/off-white/ivory/etc. Does it matter what exact color sheers I go with? Or do I need to decide on paint color first? My bedding will be pure white if that makes a difference.

• Betsy Cain
    5 years ago

You could try Urban Outfitters for macrame wall hangings: https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/macrame-wall-hangings

And you might also like the Opalhouse collection at Target! https://www.target.com/c/opalhouse/-/N-be4v3

As for curtains, I think I'd look for white rather than ivory. I guess sheer won't give you privacy and the blinds could show through them. Perhaps that is a problem. In that case, you could go with cotton or linen.

Plants are going to really make your room inviting and beautiful, too!

• Betsy Cain
    5 years ago

https://www.worldmarket.com/ might be a great source too!

• HU-23832246943
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for the suggestion on the curtains as well as the links. That gives me some direction. I'm going to try white sheers for now, which are mainly to provide some privacy during the day and to soften the room. If the blinds just look flat-out awful behind them, then I can re-evaluate and see if I want to trade the blinds for heavy curtains, or if switching the blinds to a white color will work. The current blinds are not staying up very well when you open them anyway. I just really want sheers so I can have the windows open during the day to let all that beautiful light in but not have my neighbors see right into my room.

• User
    5 years ago

I suggest sheers that are cotton or a cotton blend. The typical polyester sheers won't look right in my opinion...

• User
    5 years ago

I really want so see the outcome.

i am late, as always. I have one of those really high beds (I have actually fallen out three times from a deep sleep). I use a queen sized pure white duvet (cheap, from Houzz, $14.99) and a king size quilt over. Both are folded down, lots of layering. The other colors in my bedroom are gray and aqua. I really really like my bedroom. I also have art on each wall, abstract, beachy, black and white, mixed up. I also bought faux sheepskin rugs (from here) not too expensive, around $35ish.

i am so looking forward to seeing your room!

• PRO
    Royal Bathrooms
    5 years ago

The old way is amazing. You should need to just change the direction of the bed and change the color of the door back.

• HU-23832246943
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I do have a small sheepskin rug I could incorporate into the room. Maybe as part of rug layering somehow? It will need to be cleaned though, lol.

So apparently affordable sheer cotton curtains 95”+ length are tricky to find. I did find some 98” length on IKEA’s website, and they’re super affordable, 100% cotton. I’m going to be near an IKEA in July, so I’m making a shopping list for what I might still need by that time. Not that IKEA is the easiest place to find bohemian-themed decor, haha, but it’s perfect for stuff like curtains and curtain rod. Do I need to add anything else to a potential IKEA shopping list?

If I end up still needing a curtain rod by then, they have a very simple delicate one as either double or triple-rod. Color options are black, grey, or white. I’m thinking grey or white? Do I need to pick a trim theme since it’s bohemian? Or can I just go with whatever I fancy? I always get hung up on details, so I really appreciate your guys’ input as it really helps move me along!

More and more I’m thinking that solid curtains in addition to the sheers are the solution to this window. At least to eliminate those dang blinds that are so dark and heavy looking. So I’ll keep my eyes peeled for those as well. Not sure there will be many pretty patterned options if I go with blackout, but I do know that blackout curtains in white are easily found.

• Betsy Cain
    5 years ago

What do you mean by "trim theme"? If you mount the rod on top of your trim, I think I'd choose black or brass. As for Ikea, they have some rattan items you might like such as this basket: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30394944/  I often pick up wooden hangers there. You might find nice plants there too!

• HU-23832246943
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The rod will be mounted above the window trim. Would you choose from IKEA white, grey, or black, not knowing what the wall color will end up being? haha. Perhaps it might be better to get the rod elsewhere in brass or similar color. Safer that way. Although I like how slim and unobtrusive the IKEA rods are. I’ll keep my eyes peeled. Btw, that basket is really pretty!! I’ll need a place to toss some throw pillows at night.
  • Betsy Cain
    5 years ago

Would probably choose black curtain rods from Ikea!

• HU-23832246943
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Paint: I like the idea of a very light neutral just for something different. But I'm not exactly sure what type of white to be looking for: warm or cool? Anyway, I've been playing around with the Benjamin Moore site to see the different colors in a bedroom. Paper White looks too gray and not enough of a change. White wisp is a good contender, but seems like it could feel stark when against all that contrasting wood. Balboa Mist was a bit dark. But I'm interested in Pale Oak, which seems like a softer, lighter version of Balboa Mist. And it might be light enough to brighten the room up from its current state, but still soft and warm enough to blend with all the wood trim. Here's a room in Pale Oak with some stained wood in the room.

Obviously I can get some paint samples and try several, but I want to make sure I'm sampling some good contenders! Thoughts?

Also, I'm playing with the idea of a gallery wall opposite my bed (second photo). I have a culture book club of some sort that "reads around the world," and I think it'd be great to put some prints and items from my favorite countries, stories, people, etc such as Frida Kahlo, a typewritten poem by Pablo Neruda, a Turkish nazar charm, and some black and white photos from some of my favorite trips such as Finland. This would be something completely different for my house, but would be a fun wall full of things I love. And being opposite the bed, it could balance out the room some. Photo below is a little cluttered for my taste, but I love the colors, textures, and shapes. (I'm noticing now too that the wall color looks to be in the Pale Oak/Balboa Mist category)

• User
    5 years ago

You've got some great ideas....I can't really talk much about paint because to me, at the end of the day, there are whites, beiges, and creams. Once it's on the wall I tend to not notice it (maybe it should be that way, though...), the only room that I've hated is my daughters and she chose it :)

Currently, mine is a cream with a white ceiling and I have white sheers on the bed (canopy) and a cream bedspread. It works for me.

You're doing good. Don't second guess yourself.

• HU-23832246943
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Apparently RugsUSA has an awesome tool that not only lets you see the rug in your room, but it puts it under the bed, and to scale! I may have found my rug solution, and in full bohemian glory. This is nowhere near the colors I was imagining, but I think the rugs work well together, and the patterns make the bed look smaller, which was a "dream" of mine, lol. Then I can toss up the sheers and curtain rod in July, hang a couple of plants, and most of the work would be done (with just a nightstand and gallery wall remaining). Bonus that even with buying two rugs, these would be dirt cheap. I'm going to sit on this for at least a day to make sure I still like the look, lol.

What do you think?

• User
    5 years ago

That looks wonderful! See? You're doing a great job and made some beautiful choices! I love Rugsusa they have some terrific buys...

Remember, with an eclectic/bohemian look, there is no such thing as "too much" :)

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago

I'm late to this thread, but in case it helps -- when we got a new, much thicker, mattress recently we had a problem with the bed being too high, and we fixed it by swapping out our regular boxspring for a low profile one, about 4" high. That might be an option here...

• HU-23832246943
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    It’s a platform bed, unfortunately, so there’s no box spring to swap. I think the bed frame has a design mistake where they should’ve lowered the platform about 4”. Oh well, I’ll fix that whenever it’s time for a new mattress. Hopefully mattresses won’t have grown even taller by then, ha! Thanks for the suggestion though!
  • HU-23832246943
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The rugs are here, and they’re great! Rug pads will be following soon so no one wipes out on them, ha! But the room is definitely coming along. That “See it in my room” feature on RugsUSA is really impressive. The two rugs fit **exactly** the same way in real life.
  • caligirl5
    5 years ago

Looks awesome!

• User
    5 years ago

That looks wonderful...

I got my rug pads on amazon...very thick and won't damage the hardwoods...

• JustDoIt
    5 years ago

Looks great.

• HU-23832246943
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Still looking for the right light fixture. I decided that I want it to have a romantic feel, which naturally means a chandelier of some type. One thought was to buy a chandelier base off of Craiglist/Facebook, remove the shades, spray paint it, and add crystals to jazz it up.

Then I found this one (new). I love that it's thin and airy, and light-colored but pretty details. I could add crystals if I want, or leave it simple. Thoughts anyone?

• User
    5 years ago

Perfection!

• HU-23832246943
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Update now that curtains are hung. I LOVE being able to have some natural light while maintaining some privacy.

I couldn’t order that chandelier earlier because I was heading out of town, and then the price jumped. So I’ve got my eye on it and I’ll snag it as soon as the price goes down again.

I also am looking for the right duvet cover. Had held off on ordering because I was going out of town, but yesterday I found this creamy one with arrows on it. Kind of cute. Will either go this route or a solid white.

The grey paint is looking more and more drab. Someone made the suggestion that a crisper white will help make the other colors pop. Something to think about I guess.