SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dyhgarden

Right lobe of thyroid has to be removed. After that, quality of life?

DYH
5 years ago

Hi,

I met with surgeon #1 yesterday to discuss the removal of my right thyroid lobe. I'll have a consultation with #2 on Friday.

I'm not that worried about the surgery, even though I know there are risks with damaging things (that's why I'm talking to 2 surgeons -- #2 is in ENT instead of general surgery, and is recommended by my anesthesiologist DIL and she's seen that one operate, but not #1. That said, #1 has performed 2000 thyroid ops with a .08 percent complication rate).

My endocrinologist believes that this will cure the cancer that appears to be contained within the right lobe. We've been watching this for four years (first needle biopsy) with annual ultrasound scans and now we're at that point where it must come out.

My left thyroid lobe is undersized, and my TSH is already >3, so there's a good chance I'll be on thyroid meds for life.

My thyroid levels were really thrown off in a short time. My endocrinologist says that since March of this year until last week, I gained 14 lbs. I thought something was wrong with all that weight gain! Around April, I began feeling exhausted and have been sleeping 10+ hours a day. I really struggled on vacation in Italy (another thread on all that).

So -- now, I'm worried about feeling even worse, tired and gaining more weight. I've never been overweight, but in the last 10 years, it's been increasingly difficult to maintain my weight. Even with this recent gain, I'm a size 10 (have been an 8).

I know they're thinking of first letting my left lobe and pituitary gland try to make up the hormones before putting me on Synthroid.

Has anyone gone through a lobectomy in recent years? I'd appreciate hearing tips on how to manage the adjustment and quality of life. I live alone since my husband died, so I need to be able to take care of myself, my dog, my house, my yard, my life! I'll have no help without hiring someone.

Thanks!

Comments (81)