SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosacalifornica

Rose ID? Found in the woods.

rosacalifornica
5 years ago

My husband was exploring the backroads here in far Northern California, and came upon a number of rose shrubs right next to an old road. He brought me the bloom pictured in the first image below, and took one picture of a bloom on its shrub. We went back out later so I could take some cuttings for fun (never rooted anything before), but, silly me, I forgot to take more pictures. This was on Mother's Day. Once upon a time the road seems to have been called "Cemetery Road," but we found no sign of a cemetery. Here are a couple of pictures followed by a description. (I'm new to roses so please forgive me if my terminology is incorrect.)

The camera is oversaturating the color, but this is fairly close.

Even more oversaturated, but here is another bloom where we found it.

And here are my notes from looking at the specimens we brought home, a few details from memory:

Shrub about 4 or 5 feet in height. Seems to sucker readily as there were ten or more shrubs in a row. Crimson to purple bloom, about 2.5 inches across. Quartered, fully double. Petals can be ruffled. When fully open there are a lot of petals, becomes a pompon. Stamens are a tight yellow cluster; button eye. Buds are rounded with a point. Tiny reddish hairs on the stems which go all the way up the sepals. The thorns are small and straightish but angled downward. Leaves have three leaflets; the central one on my specimen is larger. They are smooth and matte, a medium green, a long oval with a point. The look of the foliage overall is delicate, including the stems. Flowers don't nod.

I do know it isn't Dr. Huey, because I've seen enough of him around in town. I rooted four three-inch cuttings in some potting soil in a ziploc bag using some rooting hormone. I threw one out as it got some white fuzz on the top end (it hadn't rooted at all), but the others have grown long roots. It's only been a little over three weeks so I don't know if I should pot them up or not. I'm worried about mildew in the moist environment of the bag.

Anyway, I would really appreciate it if you all could help me identify this rose!

Comments (10)