SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publick_man

Favorite ice chest/cooler; BGE group controversy

Yesterday Kevin bought a Yeti ice chest at Dick's Sporting Goods in El Segundo ($50 off) and then made the mistake of posting photos of it in the facebook Big Green Egg group. Immediately he was pounded with angry posts from people who said they were boycotting for Yeti and Dick's because they have both removed their support for the NRA. I think Dick's no longer sells assault rifles, and that got some people in the BGE group upset. Yeti has also pulled their support for the NRA. Who knew that BGE users were such a violent group? They think that by boycotting Dick's and Yeti that those companies will go out of business.

We bought this ice chest because it has very thick walls and is supposed to keep ice frozen for up to a week. The last one we had that was a similar size cracked and broke, and so we thought it would be better to get something that would last. This one also has holes for pad locks to make it bear proof, and that is important to us, as we have always seen bears whenever we go to Sequoia. We wanted to buy it in a store so that we could see it in person. It also came with a wire basket, and I am thinking of getting an additional basket, for food that I want to keep above the ice. This ice chest is the same size outside as the one that broke, but it has much reduced storage capacity. We also have an old Coleman ice chest that Kevin wanted to get rid of, but I've had it for almost 20 years and it still works fine. It was made much better than the newer one that broke. We also have a couple of very small ones - one that I use in the house when I need to keep extra ice on hand and for when the ice maker in the refrigerator stops working, which it does from time to time, although it usually starts back again after a day or so.

Comments (28)

Sponsored