Got (15 characters worth of) Irises?
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (23)
Related Discussions
Question: Preserving character & details
Comments (46)Mama Goose, I always imagined using old barn siding in a house, but never in a living room. More likely in a family room or more casual surroundings. Definitely not near a kitchen which has a way of depositing greasy stuff on any paint job or other finish. Very difficult to keep that coarse finish clean, IMHO. I sympathize with your desire to redo the trim in a 1920s period style, smoother finish. Mama Goose, epoxying the bathroom tile instead of removing it is inspirational to me. We have a totally BLUE TILE, BLUE TUB, BLUE SINK, BLUE TOILET bathroom in DH's little cape up in Massachusetts. He hates the tub surround because it leaks, is not tiled in. I'm now thinking we could change out the toilet and sink, have the tub refinished in white, remove the surround and have a newer tile put in. Of course, If the epoxied tile does not match closely, I suppose we could just rip it out. I saw where a towel warmer in the bath was used in place of a bathroom heater. Possibly the floor tile, white with a tiny diamond in the middle of a 4" area, could be taken out and a heated floor put in. But right now, we are wanting to be done with that house so we can enjoy it a little while before putting it up for sale. I will miss that little house, and the lovely yard too. It was a brief taste of what it would have been like if DH and I had married 50 years ago when we were first engaged....See MoreFt Worth Spring Swap Trade Page for March 26 2016
Comments (83)Hi, Nan! I keep thinking, "It's too hot, time for me to go into summer dormancy; *no more plants*! but they keep following me home... & every year I say, "I'm not going to water these pots of plants through the summer. Anybody left in a flowerpot after May 30 gets composted." Pots of plants have homesteaded 3 plastic wading pools here....See MoreLooking for Historic Irises Older than 1940
Comments (19)I want to thank you for starting the post, Deborah. We bought a house in 1980 that was built in 1965 and it had some irises. Of course I never knew the name. I will never know for sure, but one listed on both of the sites above looks exactly like them. They have spread over the years and I have hundreds. https://www.willowbendirisfarm.com/tall-bearded-(a-b)-babbling-brook-p-259.html...See MoreClient wants her home to have more character. Any suggestions?
Comments (205)I really do have to step away soon, but... "I get it. "we have much different perspectives." and yours is acceptable and mine isn't." Well I literally have a PhD focused in project analysis, you know... things like behavioral economics, net present value, opportunity costs, marginal value, marginal cost... I am sure that architects spend years studying to develop their perspective on value also. So, to answer your question honestly, I don't know anything about design, but I do believe I have the upper hand when we move to value discussions and can hold my own in process analysis....See More- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN DESIGN15 Creative Backsplashes Full of Character
You’ll find personality aplenty in these distinctive backsplashes — and lots of inspiration too
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESFresh Take: 15 New Ways With Western Style
Crisp contrasts and clever interpretations are updating the home-on-the-range style
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESConsidering a Fixer-Upper? 15 Questions to Ask First
Learn about the hidden costs and treasures of older homes to avoid budget surprises and accidentally tossing valuable features
Full Story
MOST POPULARYour Guide to 15 Popular Kitchen Countertop Materials
Get details and costs on top counter materials to help you narrow down the choices for your kitchen
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURS13 Character-Filled Homes Between 1,000 and 1,500 Square Feet
See how homeowners have channeled their creativity into homes that are bright, inviting and one of a kind
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGGot a Disastrously Messy Area? Try Triage
Get your priorities straight when it comes to housekeeping by applying an emergency response system
Full Story
MOST POPULAR15 Remodeling ‘Uh-Oh’ Moments to Learn From
The road to successful design is paved with disaster stories. What’s yours?
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN15 Farmhouse Kitchens That Made Us Swoon This Month
Raw wood, natural light, shiplap siding — we just couldn’t get enough of these farmhouse-style kitchens uploaded to Houzz in January
Full Story
SELLING YOUR HOUSE15 Questions to Ask When Interviewing a Real Estate Agent
Here’s what you should find out before selecting an agent to sell your home
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN15 Ways to Wake Up Your Kitchen With Accessories
Do away with dullness by bringing in color, pattern and unexpected touches
Full Story











murraysmom Zone 6a OH