SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dallashayden

Tree ID Help- Pinnately Compound Leaves

tech biker
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I am seeking help to identify 2 trees on my property in N Texas. I've gone through the standard online ID configurators and have even asked the neighbors without luck! Any assistance would be incredible.

Tree #1: Online ID configurators keep suggesting this is either a Black Walnut or Tree of Heaven. The problem is that the leaves are not serrated and do not appear to have the characteristic Tree of Heaven "thumbs". I have not found any walnuts or obvious samaras nearby. The bark of these (apparently) 100+ year old trees is heavily furrowed, gray in color, and unique. It doesn't look like online pictures of Tree of Heaven bark, however I'm not sure there are many great example pictures of a specimen this age. These appear to have been planted in a row near the edge of my property at around 1915. Mature specimens appear to range in height from about 45 to 90 feet. I am including a couple pictures- 2 showing the bark and 1 showing what I believe is a young volunteer growing next to the tree.

Houzz compressed my pictures severely and removed much detail. Please see 2 high-res copies on Imgur: https://imgur.com/a/IdVfOQx

Picture 1: Please see the mature tree on the right and adjacent "volunteer".

Picture 2: Bark at far right. Sorry, the tree wasn't my major focus here.

Picture 3: Close up picture of a "volunteer". I believe this is the same species.

Tree #2: Online configurators indicate this tree is a member of the hickory family. Serrated, larger leaves that are fewer in number. See included picture.

As a bonus, I will see if I can find a picture of my large Catalpa tree. As I deal with the rampant poison ivy and Japanese Honeysuckle deluge, I might uncover some more interesting specimens (or noxious invasives). Let me know if more pictures would help. Thank you!

Comments (18)