SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

Hi, all. Help me ID mystery tree blooming now in Michigan.

denninmi
11 years ago

I wish I could get a photo, but it is impossible. There is a cluster of roughly five, multi-trunked (appears 2-3 trunks per clump) clumps of a small tree, say roughly 15 feet tall, same width at top, long pinnately compound leaves that remind me somewhat of Ailanthus or staghorn sumac. And very large, fluffy white flower cluster (I believe panicle might be the right term) that resembles a giant, overgrown Astilbe or actually bear a pretty striking resemblance to the flowers of Syringa reticulata but the flowers are larger, up to probably 10-12 inches wide by the same height. Bark appears quite smooth, grayish to gray brown. Trees do not have branches or foliage until about 2/3rds of way up, so long bare trunks. Could be from pruning, could be natural, hard to say, I have fly by at 50-55 mph minimum to avoid being hit from behind by other traffic.

Unfortunately, these are in a island bed along the roadside of what appears to be a private residence on the most heavily traveled primary road in my county, an eight lane divided highway with a 55 mph speed limit, so traffic actually goes 65. And there is absolutely no place to pull off or stop, I think the property actually has a driveway off a private road set back from the highway and parallel to it. So no way to get a photo.

I can tell you what it's not -- it is NOT Heptacodium miciniodes, which is blooming right now here -- I have 2 of those, and it is most certainly NOT Seven Sons Tree.

But I have no clue what it might be. Very different because of the time of year of bloom.

Comments (6)