SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matthew_apple

Looking for insight on real-life performance of sliding barn doors...

Mindy Apple
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I absolutely LOVE the sliding barn door look. I am a huge fan of the modern farmhouse look and the home plan that I am leaning toward calls for a sliding barn door for the master bathroom. I have researched and have found mixed reviews on selecting sliding barn doors for various reasons. I have concluded that it is the most optimal design choice for my space, but that you should get oversized door for your opening to prevent cracks and gaps. My question is, for those who selected sliding barn doors specifically for your master bath, what is your opinion of that choice? Would anyone choose a different door now that you are living with the sliding barn door day to day, and if so, why? I know they do not lock so that is not an issue - my main question is: are they noisy to operate/open and close? Or are they smooth and stealthy? Also, I know they are not completely soundproof due to the nature of their design... but how unbearable is it to hear the shower and faucets running early in the morning when your spouse is getting ready for work? I just want to ensure we make the best decision on this door. I am in LOVE with it, but how practical is it, really? Let me hear your opinions and insights from sliding barn door owners! Thanks so much! (Picture is just an idea photo and not a representation of my space or the specific door I am looking at.) Thanks!

Comments (30)