SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smhinnb

Hair + Humidity

smhinnb
5 years ago

My hair does not tolerate the humid weather very well at all. And it seems to be getting worse the older I get. There are some days that even attempting to do my hair results in a total waste of time & effort. I need to figure out how to work with what I have & embrace the texture.... tame it some instead of fighting it. Curl I could probably live with but I can't handle the frizzies. In the meantime, does anyone have any tried & true anti-frizz or smoothing products they would recommend - cruelty free preferably. Tips or tricks to avoid the summer frizzies??

Comments (41)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hair + Humidity = ___________

I've a different problem. Fine, thin hair that goes flat when it is humid. When that happens, I just put it up. I think you just need to use a diff style when humidity happens. No getting around it, no products can change it.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

Kiehl's Cream with Silk Groom and their Smoothing Oil Infused Leave in Conditioner. I have thick curly hair, and with these two products, my hair is wash and wear even in horrible humidity.

Kiehl's is cruelty free.

Also, I have found using hot rollers seals my hair nicely and helps keep the frizz at bay as well when I want a more polished look. I still use the leave in conditioner when using rollers.

With curly hair the cut is a vital component to the peace treaty. See if you can find someone who specializes in curly hair in your area. If you are near a big city, Vidal Sassoon is a great place to start looking for someone who knows how to cut curly hair.

smhinnb thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • Related Discussions

Humidity & Hair!

Q

Comments (9)
    I've got hair that my husband describes as 'feral'...and his is rock-star curly, and longer than mine. Alberto VO5 is my mainstay- yes, I know petroleum products in your hair's not good, but it works well enough that I don't have to put my hair up in a bun when i'm going to the garden shops, or picking strawberries. for 'every day' her prefers a tiny bit of a wazy pomade at the temples, and simply doesn't wash out the conditioner (biolage something or other) to keep his curls soft. I've also heard that WELLA jsut cam out with a new anti-frizz pomade, and if it's as good as their new Wellatrex line- I'm all over it.!
    ...See More

Oye, my hair's too short!

Q

Comments (47)
    Thanks everyone! I still like it. :) Eileen - A good multivitamin and B I always thought were very good for hair. I take both. I attached a link with more info. on more specific vitamins and minerals. I will say, like anything else, I don't believe all vitamins are created equal. Sounds like not all of your hair was lost? That's good it's growing back but more importantly it's great you're doing much better. :) *I have no idea what vitamins they have on that site or how they are. I just did a search for vitamins for hair. Here is a link that might be useful: vitamins for hair
    ...See More

Do u have a humidity gauge?

Q

Comments (8)
    Thanks for the responses! Rhizo, yes ma'am, I'm drinking water, TY!! Tommy, AR sounds similar to AL (and why not, only 1 letter different, right?) Winter's a box'o'chocolates. K8, that's a good question... So, besides a humidifier, what are ways to create some humidity? (Some more effective than others, and some depend on your style of dwelling.) Don't turn the heat so high. Boil water (add herbs to make it "potpourri".) Partially machine dry laundry (I do this so the fabric softener sheet can do its' thing,) then hang inside. I don't do this for all items, just those that hang easily, I kind of poke through the dryer after about 15 mins & choose some things to hang. Also, by removing at least 1/4 of the stuff, the rest dries much more quickly, saving me $. A wet towel spread on a mesh/wire-type surface would do a lot more than the cliché bowl of wet gravel/pebbles since there would be exponentially more surface area from which evaporation would occur. Fill bathtub or sink with hot water & let it steam. Open bathroom door ASAP after a steamy shower or bath. When using oven, put a pan of water in there (if it won't negatively affect the way the particular food cooks.) Group plants together. What else?
    ...See More

Do you use gel in our hair?

Q

Comments (24)
    I'm looking for one. Had a favorite but it is no longer made. (Lange was the brand, not L'ange.) Have some Suave extra hold mousse. Doesn't do much. Also some Paul Mitchel styling gel that is better but not as good as the old stuff that I ran out of. Tresemme gel isn't too bad. Have a travel size package of the Tresemme. Don't like it enough to buy a larger size so save that one for trips. Had some Rusk mousse that was pretty good but liked it less the more I used it. Never had any love for the Aussie products--just OK is all. Just got a haircut; chopped off a bit longer than LoneJack's. The longer & limp was driving me nutz! Winter hair/ lack of humidity & my natural curl deserts me. Ugh. Looking forward to garage sales this summer so I can stock up on an assortment of products to trial for cheap. Maybe I'll get lucky and find some of the Lange that I really liked.
    ...See More
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    5 years ago

I have thick, fine, flat hair that is thinning :-( that is ripply when air dried. It is long. I use bed head tigi to smooth out frizzes before styling. Love this product!

• eld6161
    5 years ago

I have dry frizzy hair. I use Aveda Dry Remedy shampoo and conditioner. Then the styling cream on my wet hair. I blow dry. On a particularly humid day, I use their Argan oil after I style.

I then follow up with KMS anti-humidity spray and I have just discovered a Paul Mitchell hairspray.

If I have to be outside all day, this will last for a good part of it, but not all.

I am seriously considering getting a keratin treatment. The one that is formaldehyde free.

For my last two hair appointments, while waiting for my color, I have struck up a conversation with two women who have had it done. They both say it is a game changer.

The thing is, I didn't like the first woman's hair, but I really did like the second woman's hair.

Supposedly your hair is very flat for about two weeks. Then it regains it's volume It last about six months.

My twin sister has curly hair and she does the Diva route. Gets in cut by a Diva stylist and then uses their products.

My hair is wavier then curly. But it's the dryness that creates the frizz.

Rita: So you mix those two products when your hair is still wet? Also, you posted the concentrate, not the conditioner. I am assuming you use what you posted which is the concentrate,

smhinnb thanked eld6161
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    5 years ago

Fine, thin, straight hair. Would actually enjoy some frizz, curls, or anything that would give me some body/volume!

5 years ago

Eld, Yes, I mix a quarter sized round of the Cream with Silk groom and into that a smaller amount of the oil into my wet hair and let it air dry. I misspoke/miswrote, I should have said concentrate, not conditioner.

ETA detail about wet hair

• leela4
    5 years ago

eld-the dryness creates the frizz?? My hair is also wavy, not what I'd call curly, and has gotten both drier and frizzier as I've gotten older. I live in a fairly dry climate, which doesn't help. Sometimes it looks better when I go to visit DD1 in GA; the humidity there helps. but not predictably or consistently.

But at least I have hair. I do not take that for granted.

• smhinnb
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Interesting. Maybe I'm going about this wrong. I always stop using smoothing oils, etc. on my hair when it is humid - I thought too much moisture was causing my problem. I typically use Aveda products (Eld - I use their styling cream too) and use their Smoothing Fluid daily in the winter when it is dry. I might try the Kiehl's products above - thank you Rita.

My hair isn't especially curly - it might be easier if it was. It just gets BIGGER in the humidity if that makes sense. More texture/wavier & not at all smooth. I went to a plant nursery a few weeks ago to get some hanging baskets for my porch, and I could literally feel my hair expanding while I was in the greenhouses, lol.

• smhinnb
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Smell is huge for me to DLM, I probably should have mentioned that. More natural
    scents from essential oils, etc. tend to bother me less than synthetic,
    chemical based scents. For example, I can't tolerate Redkin products at
    all. The shampoo & conditioner I use are vegan Canadian products that are "Made With Minimum 97%
    Plant and Natural Ingredients / Petrolatum Free / Paraben Free / Phthalate
    Free / Phosphate free / SLS & DEA Free". There is some scent to
    them, but it doesn't bother me. Any other products I use on my hair are usually Aveda. The scent of a few of their products bothers me (the Stress Fix line especially), but most are ok.

• eld6161
    5 years ago

DLM thanks for the run down. I am seriously considering the Keratin but am just too nervous to pull the plug!

I would love to let my hair just air dry when it is hot and humid. It's the frizz that poufs it out and makes it look unruly if I try to air dry. There might be ways to do it with certain products just not the ones I already have.

• fouramblues
    5 years ago

Following. I look like Roseanne Roseannadanna most of the summer.

• smhinnb
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I really don't know anything about Keratin either - never hear it even mentioned around here. But it certainly sounds interesting. I'll have to ask my stylist next time I'm there.

5 years ago

Curly hair frizzes in humidity because it absorbs water from the air and swells. Anti-frizz products seal the hair against absorbing the water.

From Smithsonian Magazine:

On the macro level, this means that naturally curly hair as a whole becomes curlier or frizzier due to humidity. As an analogy, imagine the metal coil of a spring. If you straighten and dry your hair, it’ll be like the metal spring, completely straightened out into a rod. But if it’s a humid day, and your hair is prone to curling, water molecules will steadily be absorbed and incorporated into hydrogen bonds, inevitably pulling the metal rod back into a coiled shape.
    Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/why-humidity-makes-your-hair-curl-21127724/#26TEvhJQx43hPI2c.99

Eld, do try some of the anti-frizz products if you have any interest in keeping your curls. I had my hair blown dry straight once and my family did not take it well ;-)

• Nothing Left to Say
    5 years ago

My dd has wavy hair and it can get frizzy. I find leave in conditioner makes a big difference. It also makes her hair a lot easier to comb. We also use a detangling spray in between shampoos, the goal is to make it easier to comb, but it actually does help with the frizzyness as well. She’s eight so I doubt you want her kid product names, but maybe the underlying ideas are of some help?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    5 years ago

I have thin fine hair that is getting thinner as I age, but it went curly after the change. My hair is always short, but I let it grow more in winter as I can blow dry the curl out. Come summer humidity, I get it cut *really* short as I can't deal with it. Mind you I'm low maintenance on my hair...I get it cut once every 8 weeks at a walk-in joint for $10-15 depending on coupons and sales and that's it.

• User
    5 years ago

My hair is the bane of my existence.

My hair is super fine, and yet also super wavy/kinky (not cute curls here people - we're talking hard line kinks) - and like someone said upthread, I can actually feel it swelling up when it's humid out.

Does anyone remember the "Friends" episode when Monica and Chandler went to the Bahamas? Yeah, that's my hair in its untreated state. Lovely, yes? I've often joked I have pubic hair on my head. It's delightful.....

I think I've tried every product known to man. Some work better than others for me, but everyone's hair reacts differently to different products.

The only thing that sort-of works for me is chemical relaxers. I've found a stylist I trust with my life, because chemical relaxers can wreck your hair if the person doing it doesn't know what they're doing.

With chemical straightening and Argan Oil, I'm almost publicly-presentable most days. But even then, if it's super humid out....I have no prayer and a pony tail is my only option.

I would give anything to have nice hair. I've spent my life waging a war with it.

smhinnb thanked User
  • eld6161
    5 years ago

Leela, I realized you might have misunderstood me. it is the dryness of your hair, not the environment that causes frizz.

Patrice, why not look into the keratin that DML uses?

• eld6161
    5 years ago

Rita, thanks. My hair has uneven waves, not curls. But I will look into the products you suggested.

• User
    5 years ago

Chemical straightening lasts longer than the keratin and produces better results for me.

• smhinnb
    Original Author
    5 years ago

OMG Patriceny, I use that Monica example all the time, lol. I thought I was the only one who remembered that.

When it's behaving, I'm happy with my hair. I probably need to learn to just accept it for what it is and stop fighting with it.

My friends spend the summer posting jokes/memes like this on my Facebook.... haha

• Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
    5 years ago

If it's hot and I haven't washed my hair I just grab a scarf and throw that over my head, tie a knot and go.

If you've had any hair lightening done or dyed hair - it's expensive but look into Olaplex step three. Even if you don't do steps 1 and 2 (those are salon service only) step 3 will still help. I get bayalage done and once a week I use olaplex then let it air dry after wash/condition and the curl snaps back to the more defined spiral/ringlets I hadn't seen in years. I used to say I have wavy-curly hair, but now it's all curly if left to its own devices. Not a bad thing, my hair gets so heavy after it's past the bra band length but I don't want to cut it too short because then I'll have to *always* do some styling to it and say goodbye to the 'messy bun' style.

If you're going to bed with wet hair...don't, or at least let it air dry a bit and get silk pillowcases. Cotton sheets and pillowcases suck out the moisture and that includes sweat, but the material can leave hair feeling parched at the ends with oily at the scalp. We've gotten so used to the daily shampoo that our natural hair oils don't have time to work their way down to the ends and then we overcondition to compensate but that's only masking the problem not solving it.

As we age all of us experience changes in texture and our hair decreases how long it spends in the active growth phase before shedding. Technically there's no way to heal damage, there are some good ways of countering the look of damaged hair and how it feels to the touch, there are also some not so good ways. But the only living portion is in the skin on your scalp, so healthy eating is great for the whole person but it's not going to do anything about the split ends from heat and rough treatment when styling. I think too many people don't eat enough healthy fats and those are key for shiny hair and more supple skin. :)

• just_terrilynn
    5 years ago

I'm no help and you probably don't want to hear this...I think wild frizzy untamed hair is really beautiful. If you get a chance Google Linda Rodin, I greatly admire her look and style. At 72 this is a women who gets more attractive as she ages. She just piles her hair up messily on top of her head. I love it! I would take frizzy fullness any day over my look of hair that one would find on the sixth day of a seven day death mask...near corpse, limp clinging hair.

• DLM2000-GW
    5 years ago

So when I say my hair is naturally curly this is what I mean. That's an old pic before I stopped coloring my hair but the curl hasn't changed. I know some people love it - we always want what we don't have. I told this story before - I grew up watching Cher swing her straight hair around her shoulders and that was my dream, not that I ever achieved that stick straight hair.

This is shorter than it is now but you can see what a difference the keratin makes - straight, but not stick straight and still lots of body. Keratin makes life easier for me. If you think having curly hair is easy, you've never had it. It's more work for me to be curly day after day than it is to be straight - by a long shot. To say nothing of how I feel with curly hair - like someone's washer woman!

• tinam61
    5 years ago

I have thick, wavy-to-curly hair. I've never wanted straight hair. I've always thought of my hair as one of my best features. For me, working with my hair, and not fighting against it is key. I do not wash daily, my hair also leans to the dry side. I condition after I wash and ever so often do a deep conditioner. I love hair oils. We live in a high humidity area and I don't get terribly frizzy, but yes, I know that "growing hair" feeling. Key for me is an anti-frizz product (I love Freida gel) and letting my hair dry about 3/4 dry on it's on and then I use the hair dryer. I have long bangs that I pull some of the curl out of. I dry/style mostly with my hands. Another thing that is important to me (and especially noticeable with dark hair) is shine! I want my hair to look healthy and shine is part of that. Dark, dull hair is so unattractive. Another necessity is a good cut. Get someone that knows how to work with your hair texture. I need some layering in my hair to thin in out a bit.

• eld6161
    5 years ago

Tina, You are lucky that you found a way that works for you. As I mentioned earlier, my sister does the Diva curl cuts and products. Works for her.

DML I have a question about the Keratin. Using the blow out that you pictured, let's say you need to be outside walking around on a very humid day? With this last? Or, would you have to put hairspray on it?

• DLM2000-GW
    5 years ago

eld I can count on one hand the number of times I have used hairspray in my life! I can be outside on the most humid day, workout and sweat up a storm and my hair does not 'grow'. Without keratin I look like a wild woman after a workout.

edit to add - if I get caught in the rain..... that's a different story. The 'straightening' I've done blowing it out will get the softer curl/wave that my hair has from keratin, not the frizzy/curl of my non keratin hair. Make sense?

• cmm1964
    5 years ago

Ok not a great photo but I am a curly living in SW FL ground zero for humidity.

First off frizzy hair needs moisture. As much as products that use any silicones work they essentially seal the hair shaft and hinders it’s ability to absorb moisture and conditioner. If you use non soluble silicones you need to clarify your hair with a shampoo or vinegar rinse.

Also use an old worn t shirt or a specially made towel for drying your hair Cotton loop towels contribute to frizz as well

Naturallycurly.com is the best place for information and products. I alternate using Deva Curl products and Curljunkie as well.

The curly girl method is a book and a routine. I think it is a little intensive but it has a lot of good ideas on how to manage your hair.

I spent many years hating my hair but about 10 years ago decided this is what I was going to work with. I do get a lot of compliments but I sometimes feel it doesn’t suit my personality and my age but that’s another story for another day!

• Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
    5 years ago

Fabric softener is something to avoid using on towels or the tshirt you dry your hair with.

And Cmm1964

Your hair is BEAUTIFUL.

• DLM2000-GW
    5 years ago

cmm1964 if my hair looked like yours I'd embrace my curls - gorgeous.

• hhireno
    5 years ago

Cmm1964, I don’t know your personality but can guess your age (1964) and I say you are rocking that hair! Those beautiful curls in humid Florida?! I bow to your knowledge and experience and good hair genes.

Here is my tale of hair woe: I have curly-goes-to-frizzy hair that I have NEVER been particularly good managing. It’s just not my skill set. Add in a current shoulder problem which means I can’t keep my arms up to “style” it and it’s a sad state of affairs. I have a big gala event this week and I want to make an appointment for someone to style my hair. I like my usual stylist for cut and color but don’t love her styling. A few months ago, I tried someone else just for style and I felt like I had goes to the salon once a week helmet hair. I had to attend the event like that because there was no time to rewash it. I was assured by people I trusted that it didn’t look as bad as it felt. But I don’t want to return to her.

I stopped by another shop this morning to schedule an appt and they were closed. I went to their website and the online booking system was down. I can’t catch a break! Maybe I should just show up in my usual messy hair and hope to wow everyone with my dress. Maybe lots of cleavage will distract them but I don’t own a dress that reveals lots of cleavage, it’s not my style at all.

• cmm1964
    5 years ago

Thanks hhireno. I have no cleavage to speak of so I need to be spot on with my hair! There are some days I just kind of give up and try and be thankful for a full head of thick and healthy hair.

Seriously though I have VERY frizzy hair but I have found the right products and styling methods to contain the frizz. I am not a makeup kind of gal so I spend most of my money on hair products. There are many more affordable products available now since embracing your “natural hair” is popular now.

As stated above check out naturallycurly.com for good advice and products. You would be amazed what some good product can do for your hair. Maybe finding a curly hair experienced stylist would be helpful.

• clt3
    5 years ago

I have fine wavy to curly hair that I always straighten. It’s just not good curly, too uneven. About 2years ago I found Redken Frizz Dismiss and I love it. I use it all, shampoo, conditioner, styling cream(I add 2 drops of a Redken oil to that). My stylist also taught me to spray hairspray ( Pureology color stylist) on each section before I flat iron. I only use a little and it really works! He learned it at a seminar as it doesn’t say anything on the can about using it this way. I really only do this step on the super humid days as the Frizz Dismiss works so well for me.

Oh, I did try keratin. It worked really well the first time, but I wasn’t satisfied the second time. I don’t know why, but I haven’t done it since.

• lovemrmewey
    5 years ago

cmm1964, looks like you have found the perfect hair trim for those beautiful locks! My DIL and DGD both say that without the perfect cut, their hair is completely unmanageable and unsightly!

• just_terrilynn
    5 years ago

My hair is pin straight but in humidity the areas around the sides near my ears goes wonky. It's odd. It would be nice if my hair got big all over but it's just there. I use this wax finishing spray.

Sometimes I also use some Kendra spray over that.

• IdaClaire
    5 years ago

I think we just got drive-by spammed ... :-/

• texanjana
    5 years ago

I have thick, coarse hair and I use Kevin Murphy’s Smooth Again products. I get them at my salon, but they might be available for less elsewhere. I just got back from two weeks in Colorado, and my hair did great there. However, my skin and lips were a dried-out mess!

• neetsiepie
    5 years ago

My hair is med thick, wavy but it frizzes up unless I blow dry it stick straight. Then the next day it starts to pouf up again. We don't have high humidity, and my hair is very dry. It's not damaged, it just gets poufy. I want glossy tresses! I use argan oil and I have tried leave in products, but they just weigh my hair down.

• User
    5 years ago

Unite, an excellent product/line. Dry shampoo, in between washing, The one I like is the SexyHair one. Kopola keratin works well, I get the express one, cheaper than the full on one. Humidity/sweat really messes with my style, even when I have had the keratin. Charleston is not known for its dry heat lol. Aqua straightening hell and Unite smoothing cream is the combination that I use on the days that my hair is washed. I also like using texturisers, oribe does a good one, combining dry shampoo and texturiser. Unite brand, though, is my favorite.

• Rudebekia
    5 years ago

My hair fits the profile here. Curly, thick, and frizzy in humidity. I used to try to straighten it but embraced the curls at one point in my life and never looked back. It is what it is.

I think the thing I dislike most about my hair is it is completely unpredictable whether it will look great one day or terrible the next day. I do my best. As others have mentioned, a great cut is key--someone who is skilled at cutting layers. That keeps me going to the salon at least every 4-6 weeks (expensive!). I've settled on a mixture of a Regis mousse for hold and It's a 10!, the latter recommended by my stylist. Its available at Walgreens and the like, and it gives shine and manageability. I can't use it alone, however, because it doesn't give the hold I need. The combination is working well. I let my hair mostly dry then scrunch it with a diffuser, and use a curling iron to define a few curls and bangs around my face.

• Martha Haze
    5 years ago

What type of hair you have exactly? I have thin straight hair and it's almost always frizzy. While I was living in Florida it was a real pain for me. I moved to the northern area and it became even worse. After some experimenting I stumbled upon keratin products, like this two.

You may read more about it in this article. I'm really fascinated about these, really saved my day. I'm glad keratin treatment isn't restricted to salons anymore.