SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tremelune

Boggled by living room layout: Fireplace, projector, entrances...

Tremelune
5 years ago

I'm starting from scratch, and trying to get the most important piece of the home in place—the couch. The living room has a fireplace in the center and the rear wall is a giant door that opens all the way up. Facing the fireplace, the left entrance is from the front door/hallway, and the right entrance is from the kitchen.

I spend 80% of my living room time on the couch watching movies with my feet on the coffee table and a computer on my lap. I watch stuff on a projector, and I would reeeally rather project onto a wall rather than above the fireplace. The fireplace is always visible, so that's the real point of focus, but I definitely need a couch facing a wall, so. My dilemma.

Full-length couches are valuable to me, because they're a sleepable space (and I'm short on that for guests). I'm rather partial to your biggass leather couch (Crate & Barrel Axis II, maybe). I'm also hoping to have some space in this room for some kind of table for eating (tiny/narrow is fine). I've been playing around with layouts and I just have not found a slam dunk.

I like the 2-couch layout because it's symmetric, a bit more open, and there is greater flexibility if I want to go in a different direction. I like the sectional layout because there's just nothing quite like curling up in the corner and watching Planet Earth II. The 2-couch approach is fairly awkward with those chairs, but I fear if the couches go wider you would be yelling across the table. The sectional approach makes those two chairs even more awkward...I tried one chair, but it seemed like an unbalanced throne.

Here are some staged photos, shots of my Sketchups, and the Sketchup files themselves:

2-Couch Sketchup

Sectional Sketchup

Comment (1)