SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_567609588

Bedroom ceiling cave in, clean up advice

5 years ago

Me, my wife and 2 kids have been living in a townhome style apartment for over 5 years now. A few days ago, we started to see some separation around a sealed up access point in the ceiling, and noticed slight bowing. They came out and looked at it and said a supervisor would be out to check it out the next day.

The following day, before anyone got back to us, our kids pointed out a crack in the ceiling, shortly there after it started to move and my wife barely got out before the whole thing came crashing down. Our entire bedroom was coated in several inches of insulation and ceiling debris.

My questions are, what is safe to salvage and what should be replaced? We are replacing our mattress and bedding, and washing our clothes several times, and thoroughly cleaning dresser surface areas, but are things like power strips, television (with vents on the back facing up), cell phone chargers, etc safe to clean? Or would they become fire hazards or likely to break down? The rental company is cleaning up all the debris and redoing the room, but what kind of compensation besides replacing some items should we ask for?

I hope someone can offer advice, because I can't find any info online.

Comments (24)