Houzz Logo Print
jtkinpa

Home Renovation or Addition

J K
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello all,

My wife and I have lived in our house for 7 years now. We
like the location but are definitely interested in some changes to the house.
We bought our house for $180,000 and 3 bedroom houses that have been updated
currently sell for well over $250,000 and often over $350,000. Also, we plan on
living in this house for a long time, so we are fine with putting some money
into it that we may or may not get back in the future in return for the house that
we want.

Here is our current house:

1 Square – 1 foot

Black = Doors

Yellow = Windows

Front entrance is in the bottom left.

We have 2 options – Renovate or Addition

Area that is entrance, hallway, and the bathroom/laundry
is formerly a garage that the previous owners changed. Entrance area is 2 steps
lower than the rest of the first floor and is tiled right on the concrete of
the garage floor. Hallway and bathroom are raised up even with the rest of the
first floor.

Both the bathroom/laundry and the kitchen are tight
spaces. Kitchen is not well laid out so there is very little counter space.

Living room is very long and skinny. It was a living room
and dining room but the dining room was too small to even fit a table so we
removed the wall and made it a large living room.

Option 1 – Renovate

Out front, we are thinking of extending the roof forward
a little farther with a flatter pitch and creating a real front porch with
columns and adding a bit of curb appeal. The front door would be relocated to
the center of the house (where it was originally before the garage conversion),
and entry would be into the living room. The driveway would be changed to a
small half circle with 2 street entrances. This would make it large enough to
fit 2 cars, which is not possible right now. I have checked with our codes
officer and the driveway would not be a problem. We just need to maintain 3
feet from the side lot lines. Also, the porch would still leave enough space
for setback requirements.

Inside, the entry would be raised up even with the other
floors, and along with the hallway would become a larger bathroom/laundry room
and a coat closet inside the new front door.

Renovating would be the cheaper option, but there are
some questions that I am not able to work out:

How should the kitchen be redone to maximize
space but not take over the living area. The wall between the kitchen and
living near the top can be removed. In fact, we would like to remove it to open
up the space. It is not load bearing. The window in the kitchen is lower than
the cabinets. That will need to be replaced in order to put cabinets in front
of it. Ideally, the sink would be in front of the window.

How should the bathroom be arranged? We have a
top load washer so they cannot be stacked. We would also like a place in there
with a rod for hanging clothes to dry. Maybe making that 2 rooms is the
solution? A separate bathroom and a laundry room?

Any suggestions on living room layout?

Option 2 – Addition

Going this route involves the same work to the front and
bathroom area. The addition would be about 10 feet off the back, and the width
of the house.

This option would make the kitchen longer and narrow,
leaving a wider space for the living area. The living area towards the front
would be large enough to use as a dining room.

Questions:

What is the best kitchen layout? Refrigerator
would be near the bottom against the bathroom wall. Sink would be under the
window and stove would be along the wall to the left.

Bathroom and living room suggestions welcome.

Any thoughts to improve?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I can answer any
questions or provide pictures that may help to visualize the space.

Comments (29)

• User
    5 years ago

Moving up to something that fits your needs better will be the cheaper option. Your list is too long and involves too many major items. You are way underestimating how much that laundry list will cost. Remodeling costs more than new construction by far. Additions do too. TV renotainment is total fiction staged for dramatic purposes.

http://www.remodeling.hw.net/cost-vs-value/2018/

• J K
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I completely agree that it will be expensive. Our area is highly sought after. We got a good deal on this house because the previous owners were in a rush to move and it was 7 years ago. Today this house would sell for much more. Similar old houses in the area would require just as much work and cost $250,000-$300,000. Houses that don't need the work cost $400,000+. Prices are being inflated because inventory is low and there is no open land within the borough limits to build a house. It may cost $200,000 but in the end we have exactly what we want and where we want it, without being the biggest and most extravagant in the neighborhood. The money is not the issue here. What I am looking for is the fine folks here to give suggestions on layout and which option would turn out better vs the price. If I could get a good functional layout without the addition that would be great.

• Related Discussions

Exterior Cladding Suggestions - Brick Friendly

Q

Comments (1)
    What a beautiful home! I like the combo in your first inspiration pic. It looks like a dark brown wood siding?
    ...See More

Need design and special advice on small kitchen layout

Q

Comments (4)
    Here’s design 3. Downfall is the designer didn’t add a pantry cabinet Or a microwave. Two massively important items. Also concerned with the sink in the island. To me an island is for entertaining and laying out food, not for a main sink with washing drying etc. also the small space/walkway in between work area and around the island.
    ...See More

house renovation and addition

Q

Comments (1)
    Need floorplans
    ...See More

Whole home renovation/addition help

Q

Comments (3)
    For 3 kids, I would eliminate one sink in their bath so you can have more storage. Storage will be used 100% of the time. Sinks are used a few minutes each day and can be shared. I agree that gray is on its way out. Wood is in. If this were my kitchen, I would do a wood island. From your drawing, your aisle widths are not visible. You will need 4' given all of the appliances you have opening into that space. So that means your width for living space & dining space is maybe 17 feet? Assuming no seats at the island. So your living + dining with clearance to the island is 14x24. A dining table needs about 10 feet, which leaves 14x14 for living room. With your current layout, I would put your TV and fireplace side by side on the far wall. The corner fireplace will just take up space and make it difficult to decorate. And, yes, definitely put furniture into this drawing and change your window placement based on that. The window locations now are kind of between "rooms", which makes them awkward. Have you considered other arrangements for these spaces? I would actually change the location of your kitchen and living room, and make your kitchen an L shape in the top of that space, which will give you more protection in the kitchen and potentially more counterspace. Dining table next to the kitchen, oriented up + down. Living room in the front. The pantry may be challenging to incorporate, but you can do a reach-in pantry which (honestly) would be my preference after having a walk-in. If you keep the kitchen where it is, put the dishwasher on the other side of the sink so it's out of the prep path. If you use a microwave, put it near the fridge. For your master bath, if you can squeeze your closet to 7' wide, you can gain space in the bath. The extra 1'-0" doesn't give you much. I'm not sure if the closet was made that wide for the attic access? Also consider a pocket door for that closet, which will make accessing clothes behind the current door much more pleasurable (we have a swing-in door on our closet and half of my clothes are behind the door which is annoying). I would also consider adding windows in the kids' bedrooms to take advantage of the corner rooms. Our kids' bedrooms only have windows on one wall and I wish we had them on two.
    ...See More
  • User
    5 years ago

That list is gonna cost way more than 200K. Which is why moving to an existing home with the features you want will be cheaper.

• roarah
    5 years ago

I understand renovating and adding onto a house even when it is not fiscally sensible. I have been doing that with my own house and as long as you know it is an emotional investment not financial one there is no reason not to explore it as an option. It may very well cost more than 200 k with or with out an addition though to get everything you wish for. Many kitchens in my area cost over 100 k to remodel with structure and fixture changes. And baths start at 30k.

I started renovations with a list of likes vs dislikes. Then took my dislikes and tried to determine want vs needs. Then I made a budget and determined what we could do our selves. Then we met with the pros for a reality check and re assessed our goals and delayed some things for later dates by priority. You should talk to contractors, realtors and architects now to target in on what options work best in your house with your lifestyle and your budget.

Good luck.

• J K
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sophie - I already had an informal chat with a contractor friend. He estimated an addition like that to be 100k-150k, most likely around 120k after all is said and done and those unplanned for things are paid for. I think putting 200k in my head gives me enough cushion. Also, I keep a pretty close eye on homes for sale in our area, and nothing under 400k has everything that we want, so they would all require some work anyway.

• J K
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Roarah - I appreciate the personal experience. Our plan seems very similar to yours. We will definately be meeting with pros in the future and can prioritize certain items over others. My main goal with this post is to get some great advice, suggestions and personal experience that I can take to the pros beforehand, instead of paying them then coming here and then paying some more for changes (even though that may end up happening anyway haha).

• cat_ky
    5 years ago

I would definitely not have the bathroom, and laundry together. They should be 2 separate rooms.

• J K
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Cat_ky

I agree. I thought of it while typing my original post. I think I was stuck on the one room idea because that is how it is currently set up. We have bi-fold doors that we can close to hide the washer and dryer when people are over. Having a completely separate room makes it even easier to hide.

• geoffrey_b
    5 years ago

Couple of things: You have a modest home, which is fine. But I don't think the quality of the home or the lot is worth investing another $150,000 - especially architecturally - it's has no appeal. Also, there is no garage. I wouldn't buy a $350,000 home without a garage.

Find yourself a better home.

• roarah
    5 years ago

Where I live location and walkability to public transit trump garages in value. And although an extra nice feature not necessary for resale .

• geoffrey_b
    5 years ago

All you have to do is search for: My home is worth a lot more, and I want to remodel my home and I don't care if I lose money, and we are going to live here forever.

Really painful logic.

Hey Sophia: I'm an only child - but you could be my sister :)

• User
    5 years ago

Invest 10K in an architect then. That is where your project needs to start. Not with felt tip scribbling. Then get your 290K bids back from the builders once real plans have happened and it’s not their come on lowball wags.

Not an only child. Just from Generation Quitcher Whining Bout WANTING Stuff and Pick Up a Screwdriver Dammit. Or Get A Better Job And Pay For It Like We Had To. There’s a lot of us.

• J K
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi everyone - this neighborhood has very few garages. In fact, only about half the houses have driveways. In this neighborhood a garage is not necessary.

Also Sophie, like I mentioned above, we will be getting an architect but would like input here first that we can take to them. There are people here with great design ideas and I would love to hear from them.
  • mle0782
    5 years ago
    First thing you need to do, before you waste a lot of money on an architect, it to look at your plat and investigate all zoning restrictions. Much of what you have suggested sounds like it is different from the rest of the neighborhood and from your pic, your lot looks fairly small. If no one else in the neighborhood has done something practical like a circular driveway, you better ask yourself why? If adding a front porch brings your house’s footprint forward more than your neighbors, you will likely need a zoning variance—obtaining that varies widely from community to community. I’d hate to see you waste a lot of money on plans only to be told”no” when it comes time for permits.
  • Aurora Tee (Zone 6a)
    5 years ago

We have a neighborhood near where I live that has a bunch of 1200 sq. foot one story bungalows on very small lots. But it is highly desirable area since it is in walking distance of a viable and vibrant suburban downtown. If a home goes on the market 99% of the time it sells to a builder who then tears it down and builds a 3000 sq. foot, three story home. At first this looked so out of place but now half the area has new homes. You have $250K homes next door to $600K ones.

There is one home in which they are adding on to the existing bungalow rather than tearing down. It is fascinating to watch the vision. You could say they are over-investing or you could say they are being green by not ripping the whole thing out.

Sophie, I have to chuckle about picking up the screwdriver and getting down to work. A neighbor just asked me the other day why I don't hire out more than I do. She just can't understand why I would want to do things myself. Oh, that just makes me more determined. Um, I am just cheap and stubborn.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    5 years ago

I'm going to ignore all the financial talk and go for the fun stuff--the layout ;).

I would keep the hallway, and put the half bath on the front corner, with the laundry closer to the kitchen. Laundry would be behind folding doors with choice of closets for guest coats--long closet could have folding doors which reveal a counter for sorting and storing laundry, with coats in the smaller closet.

That would allow you to keep the LR in the front, with the DR close to the kitchen. I turned the island, and tried to hide the fridge from the front door, but make it convenient to the DR and LR. The pantry is farther from the fridge than I'd like, but gives you plenty of storage. You could put a MW on a shelf beside the fridge, for convenience, but then it would be in line with the front door, so I put a MW on the island, across from the fridge.

This plan has functional flow from fridge--->sink--->prep--->range, but it also puts the DW and dish storage between the fridge and sink. I like to have the DW and dish storage out of the main prep and cooking zones, and close to the DR, but sometimes, especially in a remodel in a smaller kitchen, that can't be avoided. The alternative would be to put the fridge on the short wall, as you suggested, but that puts it across the room from the sink (second plan), and across the traffic from the door.

How do you feel about placing the sink off-center (to the right) to give you a bit more prep space between it and the range, which would also give you a bigger cabinet between the sink and corner susan?

• geoffrey_b
    5 years ago

I hope the OP tells us how it all works out.

• einportlandor
    5 years ago

OP, I also live in a highly desirable, walkable neighborhood with a combination of small bungalows and larger homes. My neighbors outgrew their home and decided to do an addition (enlarge entryway and living room, add a bedroom). They hired an architect, went through a long design process, talked informally with a couple of contractors and came up with a $200k budget. Then they went out to bid. The bids came in so far over their budget they abandoned the whole idea, sold the house and moved into a bigger home. I'm not saying it's impossible, but in a hot market where contractors can pick and choose and name their price, you might be shocked at what it will actually cost once you have plans in hand. Good luck.

• J K
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hello all - It has been a busy weekend!

mle - I have been in contact with our borough codes officer. I have made sure all of my ideas fit within the current codes. I am waiting on an email back regarding the codes on impervious sq. footage requirements at the moment.

Aurora - Our neighborhood has a ton of variance similar to yours. A lot of the small, older homes are currently owned by elderly couples who have not updated much in the homes. The more up to date homes have been purchased and expanded/updated. It is pretty normal here.

Sophie - I would love to pick up the screwdriver on this. I have made many smaller changes in our house, including removing a non-load-bearing wall and replacing some doors. However, with something on this scale, it will probably be best to let the pros handle it to stay on schedule. I can do some of the work but I also have a full time job that may prohibit it being done timely. I would hate to pay a pro to sit around and wait for me to finish.

einportlandor - I have already accepted the fact that we may begin this process and it turns out to cost way more than we would like and we have to walk away. I am optimistic that that will not be the case, but I will not be blindsided it if happens.

geoffrey_b - I will definately update with how it all works out. We are not in a rush at this point so it may be a slow process!

• J K
    Original Author
    5 years ago

mama goose - Into the good stuff. Thank you!

Just for clarification - Are your ideas based off an addition to the back or keeping the current size?

I don't dislike the idea of keeping the hallway but what is your opinion on the front door being off center when the porch is added? I am a fan of symmetry and am not sure if that will look goofy.

I would probably close off the laundry room into a room with a door rather than folding doors. That would make it easier to hide and clothes/clutter that are in there. I would also consider switching the laundry room with the bathroom for the sake of keeping the sink and toilet plumbing where it currently is. I'm not sure moving it would serve a huge purpose for the addition cost of moving the plumbing for those.

I like your setup with the fridge along the laundry wall. It is a bit of a walk to the fridge but not too bad. I also like the idea of the microwave over there. It keeps it out of the way. Also, that door only really gets used by me when I go out to the trash or the grill. Most people use the back door during parties and such. One thing that I want is the sink in front of the window. However, if we do the addition, the window could be moved to the right a bit for more counter space by the range.

Thank you for the suggestions. Please keep them coming!

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    5 years ago

It may be the case, as Sophie suggested, that morphing your existing home into the home you envision will push the total investment higher than the cost of already remodeled homes or even new homes in your neighborhood.

Kudos to you for investigating the regulatory requirements (set-backs, impervious cover, etc.) before doing anything else.

I think you will be well served to sit down with a design/build remodeler, architect or designer experienced in design of remodels. Because the design of remodels can be highly constrained, the competencies required for a designer are different from those required for new construction. Develop a couple of concept plans and test them to see if they meet your lifestyle needs. Then sit down with someone who can give you a more informed estimate of the cost than an off-the-cuff estimate. You might need to pay someone to produce the estimate, but it will be better to get credible numbers early in the design process than to invest in a set of fully detailed plans only to learn you've blown way past the budget.

Best wishes for a successful project.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    5 years ago

I was using existing footprint, but moving the back door. Maybe you could use another window to make the off-center front door look more symmetric.

My thought was that the PR in the front would be more convenient for guests, and laundry would be more convenient for anyone working in the kitchen, but if the laundry is in the front it would also be more convenient to the stairs, from whence dirty laundry arrives and clean laundry departs.

If the right side of the kitchen sink is lined up with the right side of the window, the faucet could be m/l centered on the window, to disguise the asymmetry--but you like symmetry, so if you hated looking at the sink, that might not work (or could be a good excuse to make someone else do the dishes and cooking ;). You'd need to source a sink with a left-side drain.

Is there a closet or pantry beneath the stairs, or are there stairs to a basement?

• J K
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Charles - I have already done a get to know meeting with a local architect and will be meeting with a few others in the future. I am looking for some help here to make my vision the best it can be before I get the architect to draw/provide their ($ by the hour) input.

mama goose - I like these changes. Most people walk through the kitchen currently to get to the bathroom anyway. The stairs go up from the front of house toward the back. The basement door is right near the kitchen under the stairs.

• User
    5 years ago

If you have to bring homeowner plans to a design professional, then you didn’t hire a design professional. You hired a drafter, who only transcribes self created plans. That is the worst possible outcome of your request here.

The reason you hire an architect instead of a drafter is better creative ideas, and pushback on less than optimal homeowner ideas. And the problem with carrying homeowner created “plans” to an architect is the disproportionate IKEA effect attachment that the homeowner develops to those poor plans. And more time has to be spent detaching the homeowner’s cognitive bias towards those plans than just drawing up better plans right off the bat.

The bubble diagram exercise of thinking about spatial relationships and adjacencies is useful to your thought process. But, don’t expect the resultant drawings to be at all useful to an architect, beyond taking them as a basic adjacencies hierarchy for creative thought to flow from.

• J K
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sophie - No offense but that is total B.S. Your advice is essentially to find an architect, tell him to draw me an addition and wait to see what happens??? The reason I am here is to get an idea of what I want - that I can take to an architect and say here are my ideas, use your expertise to make it the best it can be.

Frankly, I find your attitude on this site to be extremely condescending. If it doesn't say PRO under my name that means I am clueless? I am by no means saying that I know it all because I don't. But I am on this site for constructive advice, specifically on design in this case. Some people (special shout out to mama goose) have been extremely helpful in that regard!

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    5 years ago

Hi, JK,

Sophie's advice may be bluntly put, but she's raised an important point. Designing with an architect is a collaboration best begun at the get-go. If you do the design work yourself and look to them to "just draw it up," you risk missing out on the professional insights they contribute in the process of translating your lifestyle needs into a workable plan (and hopefully, one that's in budget, too.)

I wish I had $100 for every prospective client who walked into our office with their custom home drawn on graph paper. It usually doesn't go well. The client comes to the architect already in love with their design--no matter how eccentric it may be-- and spends what might have been useful design time defending it at every turn.

If you're planning to engage an architect (or really competent residential designer), I believe the best investment of your time and energy will be capturing how you live, things you like and dislike about your current home, room dimensions/relationships, sizes of key furniture pieces you'll be keeping and determining the amount you are willing to invest so you can share them as inputs to the design process. Spend time talking with remodelers, too; ideally, you'll want to have yours on board so they can participate in design.

Best wishes for a successful project.

• J K
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Charles,

You bring a much more diplomatic approach than Sophie. As such, your advice is more useful. I will keep in mind to not let my ideas become ingrained in my mind as the best.

However, Sophie needs to be a bit more aware and do less jumping to conclusions just so she can lecture us DIYers as a professional. I have not hired anyone yet. I am doing my due diligence and meeting with a few to determine who will work best with us to come up with a plan. I like to be prepared and learn as much about a project as I can before meeting with professionals. Case in point: 3 years ago we added air conditioning to our house. The first pro that I met with told me it could not be done. Having done my homework, I proposed a solution that I thought might work. He got that "a ha" look on his face and decided to take another look around. 15 minutes later he agreed that that would be a good solution. I ended up not hiring that guy because I like a little creativity, but the guy I did hire ended up using that plan. Without a bit of research on my part, I may still have pro's telling me it isn't possible.

• freeoscar
    5 years ago

JK, I'll approach this as a homeowner who has done something similar to our house. First off, I vehemently disagree with the people whose answer is always "better off selling this and buying something which better fits your needs". It assumes that houses exist on some type of continuum where for every price point there exists a house in your location. Moreover, that even if such a house existed, in your desired location for your budget, that it is even for sale. Also, it ignore the very substantial transaction costs of selling/buying. We chose to do a major addition and re-model because there was no viable option - for the money we spent (including value of the house), there was nothing available or likely to be available that itself wouldn't need major work in the near future (and therefore out of budget).

I do think it is important to keep the finished product in line w/what you think you could sell it for.

Finally, for process: We had ideas for what we wanted to do, of course, but I agree with Charles that it is counter productive to get too wedded to the layout you have in mind. Speak with a few architects who do similar work. Listen to their ideas. Choose the one you like best and react to his/her ideas. We ended up with something that we didn't initially imagine, and every day I come home I still get a big smile on my face. (and oh yeah, we could sell it today for significantly more than we paid, but that's irrelevant as we intend to remain here, but it counters the idea that reno's are always a negative sum game).

To summarize: 1) I encourage you to persevere with your addition 2) go into your architect discussions with as open a mind as possible. and 3) Good luck!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH