SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

What are we reading in June?

Annie Deighnaugh
5 years ago

Our book group is reading We Were the Lucky Ones but I haven't started it yet. I'm between books and debating about what to read. I'm thinking of some from the 100 from the Great American Read. Debating among Frankenstein, Great Gatsby which I haven't read since high school, or something else. The KT book group has chosen And Then There Were None.

Comments (122)

• Bunny
    5 years ago

Yes, City of Thieves by David Benioff.

• Bunny
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I also enjoyed his The 25th Hour, his first book. Not as good as City, but a tight, well-written story.

• Related Discussions

Beautiful June, What Are You Reading?

Q

Comments (150)
    Vee - I remember when I read Life of Pi and thoroughly enjoyed it, although I do remember that you have to be in the right kind of mood... :-) After searching my stacks of TBR for a new NF to read, came across "We are at War: The Diaries of Five Ordinary People in Extraordinary Times" by Simon Garfield. More along the lines of "Nella Last's War" in that this book follows the diary excerpts from five ordinary people during the beginning of WWII. And they weren't kidding when they describe the people as "ordinary" - it is teetering on "rather boring in places" which, I suppose, is to be expected when you consider the "ordinary" people who play a starring role. Not as entertaining as the Nella diaries, I will give this a few more chapters and then see if things improve. This book is more about the Mass Observation Project during WWII...
    ...See More

June, Then, if ever, come perfect days - What are you reading?

Q

Comments (64)
    Last week I finished Laurie Graham's Gone With The WIndsors, which I chose because of discussions about it here at RP. Thank you! I loved this book. True, much of the book is funny, mainly because of dear, ditzy Maybell's telling of the tale. But it is also a great commentary on the culture and values of Britain's elite at the time. And underlying it all is the approach of WW2, with "Mr. Hitler" being the subject of casual dinner conversation. Graham has created deeply lovable characters in this story. So am continuing with Graham, now reading The Importance of Being Kennedy, told from the standpoint of an invented children's nanny. This is a more serious book, with a startling castigation of Rose Kennedy and, to a lesser extent, Patriarch Joe, and a lot of sympathy for the downstairs folk, the "help". Graham is an unusual writer, and she depicts various cultures - British, Irish, American - with tremendous skill. I'll be looking for more from her.
    ...See More

What are we reading in June?

Q

Comments (49)
    "I have tried so hard to like Dickens but I just can't." I totally understand that, and feel a bit guilty about it, but life is too short, especially when you are a geezer, to force yourself to read something just because you "should". Just finished The Swans of Fifth Avenue, by Melanie Benjamin, a novel with many accurate details about Truman Capote and his collection of beautiful, fashionable, very wealthy women in Manhattan. I would only recommend this to someone interested in Truman and familiar with a few of the women - e.g. Babe Paley - because otherwise it is just a look at obscene wealth, endless gossip, and Truman's neuroses. Actually, it is a cautionary tale and a tragedy. Pretty good writing, though. Now, based on recommendations here, I've begun reading Memoirs of a Geisha, and it is very promising. Beautifully written, and am hoping that this little girl eventually finds her own true self.
    ...See More

What is everyone reading?

Q

Comments (35)
    Olychick - I loved that book too. It's extraordinary how the writer was able to achieve the education that she did considering her background. And Rhizo and Socks - I really enjoyed those books as well. After I finished Defending Jacob, I was really tempted to re-read the book so I could experience it as an entirely different story after having read the conclusion. Right now I'm reading Sunset Song by Lewis Grassic Gibbon that is set in Northern Scotland in the early 1900's. The book is a bit challenging to read with its many Scottish words, but this is not detracting from its appeal. Waiting in the wings is Disoriental by Negar Djavadi, a book translated from the French. Other books I read - A Strangeness in My Mind by Orhan Pamuk, translated from the Turkish. Because of almost full face covering worn by women and the strict separation between the sexes, a young man unknowingly marries the older sister of the young woman he expects to marry. It also describes the complexity of life in Turkey in the late 1900's. Lucky Boy by Shanthi Sekaran. A well-to-do Indian-American couple are unable to have a child and are given the young son of a detained Mexican immigrant to care for. The book compellingly shows the struggles of both foster parents and mother.
    ...See More
  • leela4
    5 years ago

I agree that The 25th Hour, though good, was not nearly as captivating as City of Thieves.

And yay! I suggested Eleanor Oliphant to my bookclub (from afar, as I couldn't be there) and that's what was chosen for our next book.

Although I have to say that participating in these "What are we reading" threads is almost as good as my bookclub.

• Bunny
    5 years ago

This *is* my bookclub.

• OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

Thanks Bunny. I will be downloading this and a few other new ones to try to read while on vacation.

I just finished By Invitation Only by Dorothea Benton Frank. I needed a little fun, light read and it delivered. So much fun to read her quirky, crazy characters. I always end up picturing them in my mind and who would play them in a movie.

i also have The Woman in the Window and Same Kind of Different as Me lined up. Haven’t decided which will be next, but it will be one of these three I think.

• hhireno
    5 years ago

I more or less liked Less by Andrew Sean Greer (see what I did there?). It’s not a raving endorsement but it was a pleasant enough few hours of reading.

I was charmed by L’appart: The Delights and Diasters or Making My Paris Home by David Lebovitz.

I have Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz on deck.

I read Unraveling Oliver by Liz Nugent and wouldn’t recommend it. It starts with a guy beating up his wife and then each chapter tells the story from a different character’s POV. The opening is very shocking but after that it was very predictable, with only one “oh, that’s unexpected” moment. It seems to follow the pattern set by Gone Girl/Girl on a Train/Couple Next Door of unlikable psychotic lead characters in unbelievable situations.

• runninginplace
    5 years ago

Bestyears, if you like The Bitch in the House try The Bitch is Back, which is a more or less follow up to the original, and very good as well. I loved both!

I wasn't able to suspend fast enough ;), and now The Female Persuasion is on hold waiting for me. Anyone read this book? It's gotten such rave reviews but I'm wondering if they are the kind of raves that come from NYT/cognoscenti reviewers and that don't really translate into good books that I want to read, if that makes any sense.

• Funkyart
    5 years ago

I finished The Word is Murder by Anthony Horowitz. I liked the book but I didn't love it. It was definitely an interesting perspective to a murder mystery-- from the perspective of a writer following a murder investigator. Horowitz wrote himself into the story and what surprised me most is how he portrayed himself-- he was self conscious, sometimes self deprecating and while he had spurts of brilliance and confidence in solving the case, they were generally poorly timed or off the mark. The struggle between Horowitz as the writer and Horowitz as the sidekick was at times charming and at times uncomfortable. Still, a unique perspective. I think it would make a fine movie.. perhaps that was his intent from the start (BTW I am a big fan of his Foyles War a BBC series).

I have a few on deck-- Celine by Peter Heller, A Faithful Place by Tana French, City of Thieves by David Benioff and finally Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup by John Carreyrou. John Carreyrou is a journalist (WSJ) who is responsible for the dramatic fall of Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos, the startup she founded. Elizabeth Holmes caught my attention as she rose to "stardom" in the biotech world-- she's beautiful, seemingly intelligent and as it turns out vicious, amoral and outrageously egotistical. I was sucked in by the hype so I am eager to read the real story.

• User
    5 years ago

"Alone was how your soul got stolen by spirits, or your body kidnapped by enemies. Alone was when your thinking turned to evil. " Very glad I stuck with Euphoria. Great imagery, too.

• rosesstink
    5 years ago

Still plowing through Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford. Work and the garden having been eating up much of my time though. Has anyone read this book? Genghis Khan was innovative but I'm not sure that I'm buying the author's assertion that he was less "bad" than the other leaders of the time.

• olychick
    5 years ago

I just finished The Commoner by John Burnahm Schwartz. It’s an older book, first published in (2007), but given to me recently by a friend who has lived in and loves Japan. It’s the story (historical fiction) of the first commoner to marry an Emperor of Japan and what her life became. Very interesting, beautifully written and culturally mystifying to me.

• Bestyears
    5 years ago

I attended an author's session with Lily King at Chautauqua a few years ago. She talked about the writing of Euphoria as well as her other novels, all of which she writes in longhand, often while in attendance at children's sporting events, etc. She said with Euphoria, she was certain by the end it was just a big pile of drivel and she nearly tore it up. So glad she didn't!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Just finished We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter based on the true life story of how her family, Polish Jews, survived WWII against all odds. I found the story quite incredible and it read easily enough, but it felt very one dimensional to me in terms of characters, which I suppose is what happens with a family narrative. It was also written with chapter after chapter following different people/stories which is not my favorite style book. But it's a decent enough book 3.5-4 stars.

• leela4
    5 years ago

Last night I finished The Bright Hour by Nina Riggs. What a beautiful book. I highly recommend it.

As an aside, I was talking to a good friend on Sunday night about that book and she said that though it sounded good, she just didn't think she could "get through a book like that." While I do think it was sad, the author's approach to both her diagnosis and her life was what really spoke to me.

• runninginplace
    5 years ago

Leela, yes I think that people may assume The Bright Hour would be unbearably sad because of the outcome, and of course it is but it's also an amazing meditation on the meaning of life, how to live a full and rich life knowing that you can foresee the ending of your own existence, and a chronicle of the beauty and the sacredness of what we so often ignore--the day to day small activities that make up a life, the quiet moments we don't always realize are the source of our deepest feeling of joy and contentment. An amazing book.

I just finished Unbelievable by Katy Tur, about life as a reporter embedded in the Trump presidential campaign from his announcement of candidacy till election night. Fascinating of course.

I did get a bit tired of the life-as-a-reporter-is-so-crazy schtick with all the complaining about hotel food and plane flights and nerve wracking deadlines. I mean, honey, you're a network news correspondent and about a zillion young women and men would love to be slogging through that airport at 6 am ;). However the insights about Trump were incredibly spot on. Especially reading it almost halfway through his first term it resonated as a portrait of a singular moment in American history.

• Funkyart
    5 years ago

I read Peter Heller's Celine over the weekend and just loved it. I've had a few Heller books on my to-read list for ages but I am glad I started with this one. I read through the negative reviews and a number of people complained about the flashbacks but I quite liked them. I found Celine fascinating and I enjoyed each moment of her story. While the mystery is all fiction, the title character is based on Heller's mother. In his own words, the book was a way to spend another year with her after her death. Some say the character is "larger than life" and not believable-- if so, then her obituary was also fiction! Regardless, I quite enjoyed her character!

For me, the mystery was really just the delivery media for the character. It wasn't much of a thriller but it sure was a fun and enjoyable read.

I am now reading Faithful Place by Tana French

• Bestyears
    5 years ago

I just read Judd Apatow's Sick in the Head. I love comedy, though I never go to standup shows or anything. In this book, Apatow documents his interviews with many of his favorite comics, some young, some quite old now. This was one of those books that I probably picked because it was $2.99 on Amazon or something, and might not have otherwise. I'm glad I did -I found it to be fascinating and revealing.

• 4kids4us
    5 years ago

Ratherbesewing, thanks so much for the recommendation of Lucky Boy by Shanthi Sekaran. Coincidence that I started it just days before the huge uproar over children being separated from their parents - it made the novel so timely and even more heartbreaking knowing the reality that it is actually happening and not just fiction. Even though it was long, I had to make three trips back and forth to the beach in a week, plus I put it on a faster speed, so I was able to get through it in a reasonable time. Though a couple of parts seemed a bit unrealistic, I loved it nonetheless and thought the ending was well done.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Just finished Two Steps Forward by Simsion and Buist. (He's the guy who wrote The Rosie Project.) It's a nice summer read, pleasant, interesting and light. It's about a man and a woman each walking the Camino who meet at various points along the way and it goes from there. I'd recommend it.

• runninginplace
    5 years ago

Annie, I started Two Steps Forward and didn't finish-it just didn't grab me and after a few chapters I realized it wasn't going to ;).

I did complete a book I'd read about somewhere in one of those summer reading recommendation guides, The High Season. Meh. About the hijinks that go on during the summer rich folks' Hamptons vacation season with the protagonist being a woman who has to rent out her own house each high season to afford living there the rest of the year. Not sure why I kept reading because I didn't really like any of the characters!

Also, it featured one of those author traps: trying to create realistic teenage characters. For some reason, like Southern accents attempted by non-Southern actors, writers have a very tough time trying to recreate how teens speak. This book fell into the same trap-writing a teenage main character as being incredibly witty and arch and filled with worldly wise ennui, at a level beyond any mortal 15 year old. Happened in My Absolute Darling and many other books as well.

Just started the Pamela Druckerman book There are No Grown Ups and liking it so far. Essays about getting older--unfortunately since my 40s are well in the rear view mirror, the angst of that stage doesn't resonate too much ;).

• Olychick
    5 years ago

Orphan's Tale was my latest read...wish I would have liked it more, as it's a compelling story about a subject and period in history that I can barely get enough of....WWII in Europe. But I found the writing just meh and by the end I was skipping whole paragraphs and sometimes pages of what felt like filler dialog and the characters' thoughts. It appears to be based on some historical facts (circuses in Europe during the war and the hiding of Jews within those communities), which is a fascinating subject, but I just was disappointed in the development of the (fictional) characters and plot.

• rosesstink
    5 years ago

Finished Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World. Very interesting. I learned a lot although, as I said earlier, I'm not buying all of the author's assertions about Genghis or his decedents.

Bill McKibben's Radio Free Vermont is up next. It's a novel about a group who want Vermont to secede. Sounds like a fun read. From Goodreads: "McKibben imagines an eccentric group of activists who carry out their own version of guerilla warfare, which includes dismissing local middle school children early in honor of 'Ethan Allen Day' and hijacking a Coors Light truck and replacing the stock with local brew."

• tackykat
    5 years ago

I started Anatomy of a Scandal by Sarah Vaughan over the weekend. Was not on my radar but I saw it in the New Books section at the library and checked it out. My favorite kind of book - slow burn, well-written, set in England, moral dilemma.

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

Our book club read What She Left behind, by Wiseman, fiction. We discussed it last Wednesday. Chapters relating to a woman consigned to an asylum in the 20's - 30's because she would not marry the man her wealthy parents chose for her, but instead wanted to be with someone they considered unsuitable. Other chapters related to a late-teen in the 1990s coming to terms with her own troubled past, who happened upon the story of the earlier woman.

I'd rate it 3.5 stars out of 5. Worth reading, but some parts of the book ended up annoyingly unnecessary.

Our next book is In Order to Live, by Yeonmi Park, a memoir of a woman who ended up escaping North Korea as a child, with her mother. While this is a relatively quick read, Park's life story (as well as her family's) is harrowing. I finished this in the early hours of the morning.

Does anyone, seriously, want to Sit up at attention when a Korean, or ANY, dictator speaks?

• OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

Oly, I am reading An Orphan’s Tale right now. Am about halfway through it and agree with you. The subject matter is interesting and compelling (European circuses in WW2 and the hiding of Jews) but the dialog lags in many places.

Being on vacation at the moment, I was trying for light entertainment and went for Elin Hilderbrand’s Winter Solstice, which I went through pretty quickly. It is part of the Quinn family saga set in Nantucket mostly and just so-so.

I still plan to start City of Thieves and a couple of others when I can. Most days we are too tired after a day of hiking and sight-seeing.

• daisychain Zn3b
    5 years ago

I just finished, "The Cookbook Collector", by Allegra Goodman. It took me a chapter or two to get into it, but then I was hooked. I'm going out to buy another of her books, "Intuition", tonight. I'm on holidays and I feel like I'm wasting my vacation if I have nothing to read - even for one night.

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

I am now on Anthony Bourdain's, The Nasty Bits. Kindle. Just starting so no comments yet. I really liked his Kitchen Confidential that I read years ago.

DaisyChain, I think I'll put your last read, The Cookbook Collector, on my "to-read" list... sounds up my alley.

Outside, Radio Free Vermont sounds like a hoot!

I'm sorry I've missed these book threads in the past... gonna make up for that.

• fouramblues
    5 years ago

I’m helping out at DD’s school library, and am trying to expand my knowledge of young adult fiction. To that end, I read Princess Academy by Hale. A quick, sweet read that ponders issues of friendship, loyalty, and character. Next was The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Bender. Truly odd and lovely. Now I’m on to The Marsh King’s Daughter by Dionne. Thrillers are sometimes too stressful for me, but this one looks interesting, so I hope it’s worth it! And I just put Cookbook Collector on my list, thanks!

• Olychick
    5 years ago

I LOVED the Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake!

• runninginplace
    5 years ago

Fouram, I loved The Marsh King's Daughter though IMO it is an intense read; both the subject matter and the author's skill in creating vivid characters make it a book that is sometimes difficult to read in some passages. Still I'd definitely recommend it!

• fouramblues
    5 years ago

Ok, so Marsh King is definitely not a bedtime read for me! If I did read it before bed, I’d wake up worrying about the characters in the middle of the night. Yes, I really do that. :(

• IdaClaire
    5 years ago

I'm almost 100 pages into City of Thieves, thanks to the recommendations here. I absolutely LOVE this book. The scenes are so incredibly bleak, but the writing is beautiful and there is such a palatable humanness in these pages. I don't want to put it down, and I also don't want it to end.

• Bunny
    5 years ago

Ida, I loved it too.

• IdaClaire
    5 years ago

Bunny, I'm reading it on my Kindle app, but this is one that I would absolutely buy in hard copy to keep. Love, love, love -- even though it's quite horrific in places.

• Bunny
    5 years ago

It's a wonderful story. David Benioff is a really good writer. I also enjoyed his first book, The 25th Hour. It's not as good as Thieves, but it's a page-turner and very well written.

• LynnNM
    5 years ago

I'm rereading Frances Mayes' "Under The Tuscan Sun" once again. For me, it's like revisiting an old friend. I love all of her Tuscan books. (BTW, I read the book first, and later saw the movie when it came out. I absolutely hated the movie, as it was so NOT like the book!

• User
    5 years ago

Is Mudbound available through Streaming? The title sounds familiar. The Guest Room was good...except the ending was less than it could have been.

• Bunny
    5 years ago

Streaming? Like audio? I dunno. I sure did enjoy the book though.

ETA: Oh wait, wasn't it a movie?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Just started Cutting for Stone and am enjoying it very much. If it continues this way, I might recommend it for book club, though it is a long book and usually the gals prefer something shorter.

• deegw
    5 years ago

Annie, I loved Cutting for Stone. I looked at the PBS great American read list trying to find something new. I have read most of the list but did find Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None which I just started.

I started After Anna by Lisa Scottoline. It has good reviews and I usually like her but I stopped this one in the middle. The dialog was horrible and it was a poor rip off of a Gone Girl type plot.

• leela4
    5 years ago

Oh, Cutting For Stone was a great book. I loved it too.

I just finished The Alice Network last night. I ended up really liking it, although I am a bit saturated with WWll stories. I don't particularly like the vehicle that a lot of writers seem to be using these days of alternating between past and present, or an old present (1947) in this case. But in the end it was such a good story that I let go of being annoyed with that.

I also love books where I learn some history as I don't really know much about anything.

• Bunny
    5 years ago

I just finished A Man Called Ove. For the first half, I just wasn't sure about it. Sometimes a day would go by and I wouldn't pick it up. A supreme curmudgeon who is bound to commit suicide surrounded by a cast of madcap neighbors?!! I might have set it aside if I'd had something else to read at that very moment. I'm glad I stuck with it. The writing is really good and I love stories of ordinary people where small gestures and actions can change them and others around them. I had a good little cry at the end.

Next up: Song of Achilles.

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    5 years ago

I just finished If We Had Known by Elise Juska. It started out well enough but just fizzled out in the end. Next on the pile is the new CJ Box. He never disappoints - love that game warden Joe Pickett. I'm a little hesitant to begin because I know it will be a one sit read and over too quickly, but since it will be unbearably hot and humid today I won't be up for much else. (good snacks to go with it too - cherries, peaches and strawberry rhubarb pie)

• User
    5 years ago

Bunnyfoof, apparently Mudbound is a series on Netflix.

• nannygoat18
    5 years ago

A series? I watched it (excellent but super-disturbing) and it was a movie.

• Bunny
    5 years ago

I heard it was a movie. There were certainly disturbing parts in the book, but disturbing things were going on. Overall, I found it uplifting.

• nannygoat18
    5 years ago

I agree, I could practically hear my heart break open

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sorry but twice I've tried opening a "What are we reading in July" and twice it hasn't appeared after I posted it.

If someone wants to start one, that'd be great...or we can hope one of mine eventually shows up.

• rosesstink
    5 years ago

Finished Radio Free Vermont yesterday. Bill McKibben is no <insert your favorite writer> but it was a fun read. The frequent mentions of Vt craft breweries was a bonus. "I've been there!" "Ooo, I love their IPA."

• Bunny
    5 years ago

I know it's officially July and a movie, not a book. But, but, but...

I watched A Man Called Ove on Amazon Prime and was very glad I did. It was a somewhat condensed version of the book, but it fleshed it out nicely. Of course I loved the cat.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH