SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_816104561

October Glory Red Maple

HU-816104561
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I recently purchased a house with a large front yard. It had two beautiful shade trees (Ash Trees) in the front yard next to the road. The area I live was affected by the Emerald Ash Borer disease and they had to be cut down. My wife and I finally decided on some replacement trees. We decided on the October Glory Red Maple. We ordered 2 online from a reputable nursery, they arrived nicely packaged about a week ago, they are 7 foot tall and were delivered with a pot (no bare root). Unfortunately they arrives slightly sooner than I expected, arriving on a Friday before we left town for the weekend, I couldn't plan them until I returned however I did have a friend water them once a day while we we're gone. Anyways I'm new to tree planting and have a few questions.

1. Am I going to notice any negative side affects from not getting them into the ground right away and also from planting them so late in the year?

2. The trees have now been in the ground for about 4 days I'm starting to notice a few of the leaves start to wilt, a small few have begun to turn their signature red color already, and others that are falling apart of starting to get holes in the middle, I'd say somewhere between 10% - 20% of the leaves are experiencing some short of issue. The remainder of the leaves are looking great for the most part, they have a nice green color and are not wilting. When I examine the area where the leaves are experiencing problems I'll sometimes notice signs of what could be causing the problem, the stem right next to the leaf is either bent or broken, etc, which I am assuming is due to shipping the tree and/or a big thunderstorm which occurred about 2 days ago. What could I do with these problem leaves? Leave them alone? Pull them off? Cut them off on the stem right before the leaf?

3. On the opposite side of things I'm noticing some very positive things with my tree, it seems to be bushing out already after only 4 days and I'm pretty sure I'm noticing a lot of new leaves I haven't noticed before, could it really be bushing out and growing new leaves this quickly? I've been watering them once a night and there has also been a thunderstorm as well.

Comment

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz