SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_856901769

Target Humidity Level Cannot be Achieved

David Kohl
5 years ago

Living in South Florida (Naples). Just got a new Trane HVAC system with a new XL824 thermostat which has the following issue. My understanding is that once you set a certain relative humidity (RH) point as an indoor humidity target, say 55%, it will ensure that the indoor humidity level will stay at that particular level, which is 55% in our case, regardless of the indoor temperature. This is not happening. Here is an example. My target RH is 55%, the indoor temperature is 82 degrees, and the actual RH is 62%, not 55%, as I would expect. I need to set the temperature target to 80 degrees or lower to push the RH down to the desired 55%. While away, I cannot rely on the pre-set RH and am forced to use the temperature factor to control the indoor RH via the Internet.

Testing the humidity control I went further and lowered the humidity target, step-by-step, to 45%, then to 40%, and finally to 35%. I gave enough time for each step to get executed by the machine. Nothing happened. The system remained idle and the humidity level continued to be at the high level.

Please note: While at home, when I was lowering the humidity target, I could clearly hear a click in the thermostat as if it was trying to send a signal to the system to start cooling, but the system never responded. May be this observation can be useful?

So, I can control the humidity only by setting the appropriate target temperature. Please help me understand what’s wrong here.

Comments (25)