SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeremiah_t

Fig Bud Mites and Spinosad

Jeremiah
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi, everyone. New fig guy in zone 6b here. I'm writing for two reasons: 1.) to share with those who don't frequent the ourfigs forum a link to my dispiriting---but all-too-common---experience with Aceria ficus, the fig bud mite, and the results of my attempt to fight this primary fig mosaic virus vector with spinosad*; and 2.) to convey my sincere thanks to @hoosierbanana, who has done more than anyone on the forums to spread awareness of this serious pest, which infests many collections beyond its native and naturalized ranges. Thanks to him, I finally understood what was happening to my new figs----and now, if I ever have cuttings to share with others, I won't obliviously perpetuate the vicious cycle of mite-sharing and fmv-vectoring, as too many collectors/sellers do.

*(The rundown: spinosad seemed to control but not eradicate, at least at my rates/number of applications. An adjuvant---which I did not use---might've increased efficacy. I still think it's worth further investigation as a potential less-toxic weapon against fig mites. For now, however, I've switched to Forbid 4f [spiromesifen], and I would not at present recommend spinosad as the initial or only response to a serious fig bud mite infestation.)

Comments (12)