SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
englishlies2000

Lavender Lassie rose

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I would love to see your Lavender Lassie rose. Possibly a full shot if you can which gives me an idea of the growth.

Mine shot over 10 feet tall and I have not prune it yet. I thought it will be a bush form but it decided to be a climber. I got this rose end of January 2018. Do I need to cut the canes? Or should I go out and buy a Arch trellis ? I am still deciding on what I need to do. So, I would appreciate your ideas and thoughts.

Or maybe I need to moved it different location.

Jin

Comments (42)

• Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

I think I might arch her to the side, so that she grows some laterals. I’d attach her about halfway up that stake and let her cascade over to one side. As the other main canes grow from the ground do the same. LL looks like a good one for a pillar. Lisa

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked Lisa Adams
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I try to find obelisk on Joss &main..all sold out and also a lot of what I like gone.

Lisa I love your idea. I have to step back and see how it is going to look and in btw perhaps shorter roses with companion plants. Still working on it but I would love to hear more ideas so I can put it all together.

My mind throws out so many ideas but in the end, I get confused and then lost.

This is a challenge for me. Even my planter box is empty.... thinking....hmmmm :)

Jin

• Related Discussions

Zone question for climbing roses

Q

Comments (38)
    Jim- Good to know about Golden Showers. I decided to get one William Lobb to go with my two Fantin Latour roses. I suspect that it might not grow as tall as they say on the website, in my colder climate. In this location it's okay it it's just a big beautiful shrub. Thank you all for your input. I was leaning towards New Dawn for the kitchen garden arbor, but was afraid it might be too exuberant. Finally decided to zone push a little and ordered two Lavender Lassie roses that should arrive early next June. They'll be own root and the arbor will be in one of the most protected locations we have, so I'll keep my fingers crossed :)
    ...See More

Is Lavender Lassie (hybrid musk) a no-spray rose?

Q

Comments (11)
    I'd suggest "Bubble Bath" which has a fragrance that can waft several yards from the plant, plus its' foliage is dark and very attractive. It can be grown as a climber or a bush. Here it gives 4 gorgeous flushes of bloom each year and is already in its second flush in early May. It is slightly more healthy than these H.M.s in our garden: Callisto, Cornelia, Prosperity, Queen of the Musks "Bubble Bath" does well with only Cornell in our microclimate where pm is a frequent visitor in spring and b.s. in Autumn. I gave my "Lavender Lassie" away, because it required frequent applications of Cornell, and rather than lavender, in this part of California the color of bloom is a hard pink, not the prettier hue it normally is in cooler climes.
    ...See More

Climbing rose: Lavender Lassie or Viking Queen?

Q

Comments (5)
    I got lavender lassie last year and it has been by far one of the fastest and healthiest roses (at least for me in zone 6, northern jersey). When it blooms, its COVERED with dark pink blooms that look beautiful. There is a scent, but I wouldnt consider it amazing. Ive smelled stronger. It's a very vigorous rose and I always get compliments on it though. It blooms in flushes, so there are times where it is just green. Overall its a nice rose, good luck with whatever you choose.
    ...See More

Lavender Lassie unrecognizable

Q

Comments (1)
    Did you buy 'Lavender Lassie' budded/grafted onto Multiflora? If so, I'm thinking that the top growth died and what you see now is the Multiflora rootstock sending up shoots. :-) ~Christopher
    ...See More
  • cedemas
    5 years ago

I wanted Lavender Lassie but Pam of Angel Gardens told me she wouldn't bloom well here. Instead she steered me towards Belinda and Sally Holmes.

At this point I have many baby Hybrid Musks (and their relatives) but I don't have any of them on support other than an occasional tomato stake. Some of them are growing out instead of up (like Rosaleen, but I could not find any pictures of her normal growth habit).

Mozart is also growing out instead of up and I still haven't gotten a bloom yet! Maybe in the fall.

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked cedemas
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Shiela, how tall is your LL ? I wanted it as a bush so do you think, I need to prune those canes or wait and see ? I don't mind having it tall but not over 10 feet. What do you recommend ? If I take her support she will fall and I know that Bec I just got the green one yesterday and you can see a bamboo there.

Cedemas, I don't know why Pam said that Bec Lavender Lassie can grow up to zone 10b. There was a rose I wanted from her and she don't recommend it . I never questioned her about it . So far it has no BS and you know we got tons of rain. No disease ,no deficiency and I have not used any ferterlizer yet. None of my roses got any ferterlizer.

Jin

• cedemas
    5 years ago

She said Lavender Lassie would not bloom much. She didn't say it wouldn't grow. I told her that I wanted to be inundated with blooms so she picked for me. One of the other roses she talked me into was Barfield White Climber, which is growing like a weed. In some ways it might be similar to Tausendschoen except for the color.

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked cedemas
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

Jin, my LL may be about 4 ft tall so far. This year it relaxed and sagged so it is not as tall but is wider. It supports itself. If your Angel Gardens LL is own root and young, I would not prune her but rather let her gain strength. Leaving all the leaves and canes could help her get stronger. It might be it could grow many canes and still be a bush when it grows older. The shape of mine doesn't suggest a straight up climber here.

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I got mine from ARE. But , this is so weird how it grew like on steroids. Shocking. The rest of canes is below. Maybe I can cut that one cane. And hopefully it becomes a bush. Bring it to rose society meeting next Sunday and see who wants cuttings...I will so happy to share my cuttings to rose members.

Jin

Original Author
    5 years ago

I am considering to cut but on the other hand is telling me No.

Decisions, decisions

Jin

5 years ago

Don't cut Jin. Let your baby grow for a year at least to strengthen.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Shiela, I won't cut :)

Thank you for helping me :)

Jin

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    5 years ago

Don't cut it !! It will fill out . Mine looked like Sheila's for the first 3 years . Then began throwing up climbing canes . I put a trellis behind it , because it is super windy here and canes broke . In fact this am , two 4 ft canes were broken from the storm we had last night. Mine also has begun blooming much more and better as it ages. I have a tough time photographing the good side of it without getting the back side of my home in the pic . But I'll show you what I have . Also I had a lot of long canes spreading down and I left them, they grew laterals and are worth the messy look it started as !

I'm sorry I don't have better photos from the good side. If it dries up today and looks half decent I'll take another photo and apologize for the back drop. I know this isn't the best pic but it's really beautiful in person .

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Lily that looks so great. I am thinking of trellis also. I won't cut . I will let it grow up. After seeing Shiela's and yours..I am super happy. Thank you!!

Jin

• portlandmysteryrose
    5 years ago

I've always grown LL on structures, too, Lilyfinch. Trellis, tuteur, etc.

I'll be curious to hear how she blooms for you, Jin. LL wasn't my most remontant, but I was OK with that. She's a pretty, healthy rose with mainly one flush plus a bit of rebloom here in PDX. She could handle some shade. Congrats on your growing collection!

Sheila and Lily, yours are gorgeous! Carol

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

Here are some pics of my LL, although not nearly as beautiful as Sheila's and Lily's! This was new last year from ARE planted out late fall. It experienced very little dieback and now seems to want to bloom rather than grow, but I'm okay with that.:o

PS I agree with their advice to put more horizontally.

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Vap, look at your LL. Looks so cute and a bunch of buds. Lucky, you :)

What else did you get. Oh, I remember, you were one of them suggested to get Penelope. I love mine a lot. It bloomed and now growing. Let me see if I can find a pic of it. Thank you :)

Jin

5 years ago

Thank you, Jin. Your Penelope is so beautiful! Mine was killed way back and then a rabbit nibbled on the rest! It's on a lower level that I think gets colder. I'm so bummed. I'm going to dig it up and hope it comes back in a pot. :(( If not, I may be hitting you up for a cutting or rooting now that you're getting into rooting too!

Original Author
    5 years ago

Well, I am trying a second cutting. Let's see if this works again. A few days ago, one of the branches broke due to high winds and heavy down pour.

So, I try to root it and see if second one grows. Serious, I put a cutting in a cow's manure and not mix with anything. Black cow's manure. Someone in Rose society here locally told me to try Bec it works for her. And I did it and it grew. Maybe first one was luck. Well, now I got another to experiment and see what happens. If it works great :).

Then , I can do cuttings for you in ahead of months that way you can take it home. Cross fingers it works second time..lol

Jin

5 years ago

How is everyone’s lavender lassie doing ? I thought of this thread today , bc mine is going crazy and I am not sure what to do for her! She’s huge! The canes are jutting out all over the place and over my other roses. The trellis is basically useless now . Somewhere under there is a poor clematis I thought would go well . Lol !! I have to consider moving two roses from her radius . I’ll tell you though, she has bloomed so well for me .

• erasmus_gw
    5 years ago

I have two Lavender Lassies. One went up into an apple tree and one is only about 5' tall. I used to have a pretty big one in a big pot...for a pot grown plant it was huge. Mine blooms heavily in spring , not much in summer, and usually has some blooms in fall.

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked erasmus_gw
    5 years ago

Mine is doing terribly! I guess I'm taking the shade tolerance a bit too far so I need to move her into the sun. I'm going to try to do that before winter so that she can sit down some good roots and acclimate rather than trying let her struggle through the winter freeze thaw. I only got one small set of blooms after those pictures above. I think that area really needs a Climbing Hydrangea, although my Phyllis bide/GdF? Doesn't seem to mind this area at all although I have to see a bloom. However I just planted that one this year. I may just Potter up and put her in the garage for the winter. It's a hard decision.

5 years ago

Goshhhhhh Erasmus that is amazing. Are you a ruthless shaper / pruner or do you let it go where it wants ?

Vapor , I wish I had planted mine on the fence . It even crossed my mind to replace this one with a new one on the fence. Good idea to move it now. I’m moving a couple now too , they may rebel now but spring they won’t even know .

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

erasmus, your rose is spectacular! I've only seen LL in one place, the Huntington Library and Botanical Garden in Pasadena, and it was planted along an arch over a path and looked very pretty.

erasmus, I hope we're going to see more of your roses and garden; it looks spectacular. I assume that is a picture from spring, but honestly even now your garden must look much better than mine, and I'm constantly posting pictures just to get us over the summer doldrums. Please do us all a favor and post more pictures.

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

Mine so far a Spring bloomer only.

Original Author
    5 years ago
    what a beauty Eramus. So beautiful and WOW. If one of my roses looks close like yours, I will be Soooo Happy.
    I think I better moved nine. I am with you Vap and Lily. Mine is growing terrible too but I decided to peg it. Got the idea from Lisa . I received a newsletter email from Rose Society a few months ago and there was a video on Paul Zimmerman ( I think ) about different ways of pegging....saw the video with great interest and followed it to teeth. Now, after seeing Eramus pic, I think I better moved it soon.
    Eramus, yes, pls showed us your beautiful roses.

Jin
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Do you guys got edit buttons Bec I sure can't change any corrections but I should not complain. I finally managed to write something. I think I made about 30 passwords or more for each log in that I don't even know which I used..hahaha..joke is on me ..hmm ??!!
    5 years ago

So based on all of this, I wonder what this rose needs to thrive.

5 years ago

Jin - I do have an edit button on my post still ? I think mine may have hardened too much to peg. And I feel like I opened a can of worms bc maybe it isn’t in a good place and I should remove it and not the others that it’s smothering. I do have to spray in the spring for blackspot. I did just cut off the errant canes and apologized to it .. it’s not it’s fault it’s growing so well . It took 4 years to get this big though . Oh what to do what to do ...

vapor , I think full sun and lots of room if you move it . Room down the line though.

• User
    5 years ago

OMG, Erasmus, that is really something! Where are you located? I've got 2 LLs but they were just planted out last fall.

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked User
  • erasmus_gw
    5 years ago

Thank you. I'm in zone 7, in the NC foothills. We're on the east side of mountains, so it is dryer than the west side. Large parts of my big LL plant have died this summer. Not sure what did it...maybe dry weather. Have had a lot dryer years than this though. My smaller LL plant is in more shade, so I think it responds well to a sunny site. I don't water my big one and don't feed it much.

My garden looks fairly messy and overgrown right now. I have had a little time to do some weeding but have a lot more to do. I always weed more when the heat breaks. Here's another pic you've probably seen of LL with Alchymist. My husband likes the fragrance of LL a lot. It can defoliate from bs.

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked erasmus_gw
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

That is the dreamiest picture, erasmus. When I enlarge it I'm practically drowning in those gorgeous roses. It's a wonderful color combination.

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    5 years ago

Thanks for all the pictures of “grown-ups.” Mine is a teensy babe but I’m really excited to watch her grow. :-). Erasmus, that color combo with Alchymist is stunning, in a very refreshing way. Love it!

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    5 years ago

Jin, how did your LL cutting experiment go?

Original Author
    5 years ago
    Perma, I did not cut Lavender Lassie. It grew taller than the stake so I decided to peg it. It looks better now . How's is yours growing ?
    jin
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    All my cuttings died so I have not tried yet but my rose society will have a subject on that in couple of months. They brought so many baby plants and I ask how they grew and sounds exactly what I did but I guess I don't have the luck...lol
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    5 years ago

My LL is a just-barely rooted cutting, a newborn. She’s growing teensy little leaves, but I’ve had her in dappled shade, so no flowers yet.

All my rose cuttings failed, too. Rotted away. I’m going to try again this weekend. :-)

• Cathy Kaufell
    5 years ago

My Lavender Lassie has grown 10ft x 10ft. If you don;t want it that wide you will have to limit the canes that shoot up to maybe three or four.

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked Cathy Kaufell
    5 years ago

Kathy, I know I've asked before, but where do you live to grow such a magnificent specimen? I went to your page, but there's nothing there about your location.

Original Author
    5 years ago
    Kathy, yours is absolutely beautiful. I remembered yours being huge. I do have a spot like your size on a plot btw my neighbor and me. I am still debating and have to amend soil there if I want it transferred there by Spring.
    Perma, I had some sort of greenish eggs underneath the leaves. So, I was washing Ebb Tide with soapy water then as I bend the the older branches a young shoot broke off from neighbouring branch. Now, it is a cutting. A good 8 inches long, I think maybe even 9. I will let you know how it turns out. That just happened like a few hours ago..haha
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    5 years ago

Thank you so much Cathy! I can only hope my LL looks like that!

Jin, sounds like you are supposed to start a new baby Ebb Tide! :-)

• Cathy Kaufell
    5 years ago

I live in zone 6 Bucks County PA

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked Cathy Kaufell
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    5 years ago

What Ingrid said!!

I would be happy to grow LL as Sheila and Lilyfinch do, as a good size shrub, but I'm am always looking for a reliable climber for my zone.

Does anyone in zone 5 grow Lavender Lassie as a climber? I am still looking for something - anything - that will cover a large arbor. I can only dream of having a climber that looks anything like those of Cathy's or Erasmus'. LL must be cane hardy in your zones.

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA